Home Forums General General Board Am I mad or not?

Am I mad or not?

Home Forums General General Board Am I mad or not?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve Firman
    Participant

Been viewing the forum for quite a while and finally reg’d. So Hello!

I am leaving a good job (with a ROV manufacturing Company) to have a shot at becoming a ROV Pilot Tech. I have one contract already lined up, and a couple of others in the pipeline.

Do you think I am mad leaving a good job for a chance in this market?

Is it all as bad as you make it sound?

Go easy on me!

PS i will not be completing a IMCA course as I believe they would be one hell of a waste of money.

Thanks in advance 😀

Bristar
    Participant

The idea of being an ROV Pilot sounds a lot more glamorous than it really is, but if you can get used to being away from home, and having to do some truly boring jobs once in a while the money isn’t too bad.

How does chipping and repainting a winch drum every day for a week sound?

How about being out in the freezing cold in the North Sea, having to take your gloves off to do some really fiddly electronics, and after 10 minutes you can’t feel your fingers anymore but you have to get the job fixed… 1 hour later your almost finished and then you test it and it doesn’t work, so you have to do it again.

Fancy some drill support? Maybe they don’t need the ROV this week, so there’s nothing to do… the highlight of the week is putting it in the water for a test dive, and the fact that a very huge, mugly girl just got on board as the new mud logger… 2 weeks later she’s starting to look cute

How about working in West Africa, eating dry, well overcooked horrible roast beef every day with rice, cause that’s all the cook knows how to make. And during the day there’s blister bugs everywhere that you keep having to avoid… all while being forced by your company to take malaria pills constantly that aren’t too good for you long term, but if you don’t take them you’ll get fired if you fail the next P1ss test when you hit land.

Working in Dubai in 40 degrees, and you go down with food poisoning… problem is you have to use the shared toilet block, 2 floors down sharing with some of the dirtiest egyptians you’ve ever worked with.

That being said there are some nice boats about too… but if it were me, and I had an ROV base on my doorstep, I’d probably work there.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Go for it …….Go on Salary though.
    Good luck

Brendan
    Participant

Ha…nicest message ever by lostboy. 🙂

Herman
    Participant

Depends on your situation. If you have a family to support and prefer a regular income, do as lostboy says: Salary, which might be hard to find when starting.

Lots of people I know working for agencies, have a reduced quality of time off once back home. They start worrying when the next job will come up after a few days.

Another downside is that planning of your private live might not be possible, the way you would like to do it.

Right now the tendency of the rates is not even covering the inflation. This now going on for a while and no change when times are busy.

On the other side, that 9 to 5 is history, no more stuck in the daily traffic jam etc., lots of time off,( hopefully not too much). The chance of living almost anywhere in the world.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Even in Germany 😀

Steve Firman
    Participant

Cheers guys for the replies.

I have previous worked offshore, all be it for 12 days or less when fixing the rovs when they go wrong.

I just want to be doing something different and my current role does not allow that.

Fingers crossed ihave a 30 days contract sorted formid feb and a longer one may onwards.

I just need to work out the tax rules/ business rules etc….

Again thanks for thecomments.

Ray Shields
    Participant

As you work for an ROV Manufacturing company, if you applied for a job with one of the ROV companies that uses the vehicles you built, you would get a job straight away. Even if they didn’t have your ROVs, chances are you would still get one.

This is because 1) you have already been offshore
    and 2) have the experience and qualifications that they are looking for.

Salary contract would not be a problem, Im not sure why people think they are difficult to get. how MUCH you would get on that contract compared to what you are on at the moment is a different question.

At your level you would already be a few rungs up from those starting out from fresh. It is a matter of deciding if teh lifestyle is to your choosing as it does not suit everyone.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Good one Ray 😀

Steve Firman
    Participant

Thanks again for all the positive comments.

A little update. 😀

I am now awaiting an offer(might be sent tomorrow) from one of the big offshore operators. 😮

Will need to see what the money on offer is and then its time to decide to work for one company or freelance….Not even sure on the going rates.

The security of the perm job is preferred but it all depends on the offer.

Steve Firman
    Participant

Hi all

I thought I would update this post a little, after leaving the company on the 3rd February.

I am currently on my second job, the first was pre mobilization checks (8 days) and checking spares etc, the second which I am still on is a pipeline inspection off the coast of Nigeria.(currently 16 days)

I have setup a ltd company, in the process of looking at a website.

Currently have another salaried position offer on the table, need to discuss the finner details on my return to the UK.

There is work out there, it could be a good year.

Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar