Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Are experienced Supervisors really working for 380.00 GBP ?

Are experienced Supervisors really working for 380.00 GBP ?

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Are experienced Supervisors really working for 380.00 GBP ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    DJansen
    Participant

I’ve had a couple of rates quoted to me this week.. Considering the jobs were ‘urgent’ I was very dismayed. to hear the rate is 370 – 380 GBP a day ..

I just refuse to work as a Supv (or as a tech for that matter.. let em get filipinos and Nigerians) for that sort of dayrate but I’m guessing some guys must be accepting it.. So what is the problem ?

Too many guys with big debts.. desperate for work

or

Too many guys with 2 years exp being accepted as Supv cos they will work for cheap ?

Worse the whole affair had that ‘take it or leave it feel No deals, No discussion .. WTF !

Does this mean they really do/can expect to get a very experienced guy for this sort of money… FFS that’s only 640 USD !!!!!!

DIVERS ARE GETTING MORE THAN THAT !!!!!!!!

So are the galley staff and the bloke that cleans the shitter … 🙄

liddelljohn
    Participant

Certainly some inexperienced supervisors around working for that money .. i am only a PT and have also been asked to go as supervisor but i will not do it as I am not yet at that level. I actually hate working with Trainee supervisors it makes the job Frantic.Much better working with a very experienced bloke .

Mind You I have worked with incompetant 15 year veterans too..

Is it the agencies or the companies that accept such people that are at fault or is it just greed and stupidity.

bt
    Participant

Canna be that urgent then!!!! if there offering rates from three years ago.
    You`d get more getting a contract, doesn`t seem much point in being day rate nowadays.

subman
    Participant

Yes I know how you guys feel but I am more than happy to sit at home than go out for that rate .

I love the way the agencys come out with wanted Supervisors for Norway at £400 GBP what they dont tell you is after you have paid local Tax your lucky to get £300

But I still see on all the web sites the same ads wanted Urgent Rov Personnel with these silly rates .

If you want the guys experienced guys then pay for it .

Cheers

Subman

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I would suggest that the reason it so often urgent is down to many people putting the phone down and the agencies having to subsequently hunt high and low for the punter tat will go out on that silly rate.

Two things spring to mind. The agencies should not be taking the jobs at these rates and each and every Tech/Sup should be refusing to go out on them. It seems ij too many instances this is not happening!

They do need to cut back though.. poor old BP is struggling a little…..

BP Plc (BP) has reported total revenues and other income of $48.1 billion for the first quarter of 2009

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I have also heard that Agencies ( Some being around for years ! 😯 ) are being asked by the ROV Companies to have a flat rate over the whole year, It doesen’t help that they are asked at the beginning of the year when the Oil companies cry "RECESSION " !

Andy Shiers
    Participant

And yes DJANSEN , That rate is extrodinarily low 😕
    If you are freelancing £500:00 minimum especially this time of the year !Tell them …………….. BOLLOCKS ! 8) Go get some monkies with ya bag a nuts ! 😆

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Today I had a good conversation with a long term industry friend whom I had lost touch with for a while. They work within a well known agency. My contact is one of the good people IMHO.

At the end of the chat I came to the conclusion that, on the UK agency front, a lot has shifted in the last year or two and basically the agency employment system is a mess.
    Even they are suffering from the ‘being screwed from above too much syndrome’ in a similar fashion to the way agency guys n gals are.

Whilst my years in this game would obviously limit the amount of sympathy I may feel towards some agencies, which will remain nameless, I am reasonably convinced that it’s not the agencies coining it in or squeezing the day rates down. You need to view much higher up the food chain to see a bed of roses.

It’s about time the likes of Mr BP and Mr Shell started sharing a little wealth around, but that’s not going to happen any time soon, if ever.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Are experienced Supervisors really working for 380.00 GBP ?

I doubt it!

subman
    Participant

Subsea 7

Immediate start opportunities for experienced Seaeye ROV Pilots and Supervisors – Ad Hoc assignments

What they dont tell you is the job is in Norway and the pay rate is £380 per day , So your be lucky to make £280 after Tax and they wonder why they cant get people .

Cheers

Subman

DJansen
    Participant

TAX ! Fook .. That almost makes the job offers I had appear good 😛
    They were net 🙄 🙄

Seriously though.. Who is paying well ?

Fugro – Nope 380
    DOF – Nope 400
    Sonsub – Nope 407
    SS7 – Nope 380

Above rates have been bandied about recently by four well known agencies for jobs that are ‘urgent’… Oh and they are still looking… Funny that 😉

James McLauchlan
    Participant

If SS7 are offering those rates then they should be ashamed of themselves.

I for one wouldn’t bother to work for a company that is shafting people in such a way.

If you have experience as a sup then you have no excuse to accept those rates. People should avoid any company/agency offering those rates for a Sup. How any ROV Sup could go offshore on a day rate like that, and live with themselves, beats me, but I bet there are some spineless, or debt ridden, individuals doing so right now.

As working working on Norway… I always avoided Norway on good rates, so the idea of working in Norway on crap rates doesn’t bear thinking about. One thing for sure you will be on a pittance compared to the nearest Norwegian ROV sup.

What a sad state of affairs our industry is in on the pay front… (UK sector)

DJansen
    Participant

What a sad state of affairs our industry is in on the pay front… (UK sector)

Don’t forget West Africa ! – Sad state + 10% 😆 (or + SFA if ya work for SS7)

bt
    Participant

So how much have these rates drop in the last 12 months ???? and are 3.3 and 3.4u still on £500 a day ????
    Seems like rov side is going down the tubes.
    3.4u is looking good at only at a 2.5k two week course with no background in offshore required.
    you don`t need to be the sharpest tool in the box either???

James McLauchlan
    Participant

So how much have these rates drop in the last 12 months ???? and are 3.3 and 3.4u still on £500 a day ????
    Seems like rov side is going down the tubes.
    3.4u is looking good at only at a 2.5k two week course with no background in offshore required.
    you don`t need to be the sharpest tool in the box either???

I know of one or two CSWIP 3.4u’s currently on £500/day and thats the ones I do know. There will be others for sure.

It’s supply and demand. The ROV schools have flooded the market over the last couple of years. Now things are tailing off a little there is currently a virtual plethora of people out there proclaiming to be (or accepting the position of) Supervisor that just do not have the experience demanded a few years back and definitely still required today!.
    Oh and guess what.. the ROV schools are still running the courses!
    They don’t care about rates at the sharp end, they only care about themselves receiving student fees and getting people out of the door clutching nigh on useless bits of paper. This will turn around and haunt them as the rates drop across the board and the whole idea of splashing out all that money for a crap rate looks less attractive to the punters.

Some unscrupulous companies appear quite happy to promote people into these slots whether they are ready for it or not. This is done for no other reason that to save them having to employ a new, experienced, supervisor that would expect sensible rates from the outset.

The reason 3.4u’s are still getting decent money is again down to supply and demand.
    There are no Inspection schools running adverts like : ‘Get rich quick earn megabucks, travel the world as a 3.4u’ and then pumping out vast quantities of 3.4u’s. The job is is not everyone’s cup of tea. There is a lot of keyboard bashing involved and being desk-bound (nigh on) for a whole trip is not exactly my cup of tea either!
    Being an inspection Co-ordinator is not exactly the walk in the park that some may perceive it to be.

Divers are still getting decent money too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar