Home Forums General General Board Bar Protector to lay up. All crew to be made redundant.

Bar Protector to lay up. All crew to be made redundant.

Home Forums General General Board Bar Protector to lay up. All crew to be made redundant.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just how many DSV’s can the North Sea support without driving prices way down both internally and externally? Acergy is on the verge of laying up a DSV and Subsea 7 also. I suspect others are struggling to keep boats working, especially those on the spot market. The fact of the matter is too little DSV work and too many boats. With new DSV’s on the horizon too.

If Saipems new DSV is anything like S7 Seven Atlantic with an all digital display and control dive system. I wouldn’t exactly bet on BP folks being bought in to trouble shoot when it goes tits up either. Getting to grips with the new dive system will start in the yard, for those involved.

New markets for old boats, thats the way it goes. The issue is personnel and keeping them working.

Nigel
    Participant

I can’t imagine many of the Bar P crew wanting to rush back just to help out should things go pear shaped. This whole sorry business has been badly managed and will have left a foul taste.

Incredibly the word is now going around that Sonsub are bidding for N.Sea work later in the year, and that the Bar Protector could be involved. If that is the case then Saipem will probably have to start thinking about the re-commissioning process within a few months of putting her into cold lay-up. This is time that would have been better spent going ahead with the scheduled maintenance period, and having all the certification renewed and ready for any work that comes along.

Of course it was never Saipem’s "intention" to replace the Bar P crew with cheaper labour but, no doubt, they will claim that circumstances forced it upon them!

Incidentally, there is now a Bar Protector blog that can be accessed either via the main website or using the link below:

http://www.barprotector.wordpress.com/

I’m sure any messages, memories or job info will be much appreciated.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar