Home Forums General General Board can anyone help an old matelot

can anyone help an old matelot

Home Forums General General Board can anyone help an old matelot

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    TEDD
    Participant

Hi there, can anyone help an old matelot, get in to this industry, i served as a ships diver/ sonar operator for 8.5 years, Royal Navy, done all seamanship qualifications, first aid, small arms, contained fire fighting ,, all courses annually, damge limitation exercises the lot,, will it help me 🙄 ?????? i have a basic knowledge of hydraulics , and pumps, electrics ,but no qualifications in them, can anyone help???????
    cheers

luckyjim37
    Participant

Tedd,

I asume you are an OM so therefore should have some qualifications. I think your biggest sticking point will be having been a skimmer 🙂

Seriously though use your resettlement to formalise your qualifications and then apply to any and every company going you should get in somewhere.

Happy hunting.

Anonymous

knock on doors, send cvs, make phone calls.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Plus suggest you speak to local college to see about either doing nationally recognised electrical or hydraulic courses, or discussing with them (or the Resettlement people) the courses you have done in the Navy in case any of them will automatically entitle you to an NVQ equivalent.

Read through the How To Lay Out Your CV section in the FAQs (link on the left) as the offshore CV differs from your run of the mill High Street CVs.

Mike Kidd
    Participant

I think your biggest sticking point will be having been a skimmer

I presume this was meant a lame attempt at humour, Is it based on the fallacy that the great RN submarine service where everyone knows each other’s "jobs" is the best source of people for ROV work or is it because they are used to working in the dark with just red light to read by and therefore dont need retraining in this aspect unlike "skimmers" who have obvisously had no thought to their future employment by signing up to the surface fleet, have sundowners on the upper deck watching sunsets over exotic caribbean islands.
    To get your foot in the door to get into this industry by the normal route, you must have an engineering qualification "full stop" and hopefully not meet an offshore personnel manager who only recruits from his old armed service

luckyjim37
    Participant

Flycatcher obviously you missed the humour. I do not claim Submariners are better than skimmers there is dross in both services as there are also some really good guys in both services. I do apologise if you have taken something to heart that I have written. Obviously BANTER has been mistaken for and insult.

I do recall suggesting formalising qualifications as when I left the Navy the OM branch courses had not been civilian affilliated to the NVQ certification so all of my technical training was worth nothing. I would have had to stay on for another couple of years and wait for LOM’s course to get the civi qualifications for the branch which I did not want to do.

This has lead to hassle for me when I first started. Ray has also in more detail said the same thing regarding qualifications.

Ex forces personnel are always a good bet for ops managers when recruiting trainees, they are normally used to military pay so ROV pay seems decent, they are used to being away from home and tend to be half decent at working as part of a team and also tend to have a reasonable level of common sense. Most also have good technical training/ability.

Don’t see a downside really.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

……………………….
    Ex forces personnel are always a good bet for ops managers when recruiting trainees, they are normally used to military pay so ROV pay seems decent, they are used to being away from home and tend to be half decent at working as part of a team and also tend to have a reasonable level of common sense. Most also have good technical training/ability.

I would modify that to ‘Ex forces are generally a good bet.’…. , but other wise I agree with your statement.

luckyjim37
    Participant

😆

Ex-divers generally are ok to James.. 😉

James McLauchlan
    Participant

😆

Ex-divers generally are ok to James.. 😉

😀

bt
    Participant

do an onc in Electrical Engineering part time if your still in the mob, get them to pay also for the ROV course as your resettlement.
    Then pay for your offshore survival courses/ medical yourself.
    You`ll have a good chance in getting a job and if you don`t you`ll get some other techie job offshore. (as a fall back)

hope that helps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar