Home Forums General General Board Expats

Expats

Home Forums General General Board Expats

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Stevens
    Participant

I am curious about the details involved with leaving your native land and settling in a foreign land. I have worked with many a guys who have left home for places in SE Asia, Brazil, and elsewhere. They expressed that it is a great move, because you can live like a king and the women are plentiful and smoking hot. Did you have to marry a local? do you pay taxes to anyone. Do you retain you native citizenship? I am married and have no plans of leaving my wife for some local girl. Please, do tell.
    Thanks,

mudflap276
    Participant

i live in the Philippines and have a resident visa because im married to a filipina. you can get a special retirement visa by paying a fee to the govt and getting a bond from a bank. it gets you a resident visa and you can come and go as you please. not sure of the entire process or the costs but a lot of people do it other than getting married here.

David Stevens
    Participant

How is the political climate there? I worked with a Danish guy who married a local there and live there. He said he enjoyed it, but he moved back to Denmark to expose his kids to his family. He never said much about how he got along as a white guy there, other than be nice to the locals and take care of them, then you’ll have no worries. You live in a big city, or out in the countryside? What about schools?
    Thanks for you reply

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Lunch,

Your ancestors may have emigrated to the US…. There are numerous reasons why some people have left their homeland (not native land, as you and I are not natives of the US). Everyone may have a different reason. It could be as simple as (it used to be) the joy of traveling and meeting DIFFERENT people and diversified cultures (as was my case). There are perks and other benefits of course….

David Stevens
    Participant

I didn’t start this thread to bring up a political or philosophical discussion about leaving one’s homeland. I am interesting in the logistics, pros, cons, headache and hassles involved in doing so. I have been kicking around the idea since I started working offshore and getting to work with guys from around the world. I never got to travel much as a kid and I didn’t even have a passport until a year ago. I don’t want my kids to grow up without seeing other places like I did. Sure you can learn alot about other cultures when you live in a big city, but it’s not the same as going there and seeing it for yourself.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Lunch,

You’ve answered your own question. Do some googling research, pack your family’s bags, and visit the places that appeal to you and your family. And yes, kids need to travel. My 19 yr. old daughter has lived in 4 countries already and both my kids have traveled to 9 countries already. Each and every one of us has different likes and dislikes so the most probable way to find out / experience places that appeal to one’s fancy is to go there. What is the Missourians motto? "Show me…"

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I never got to travel much as a kid and I didn’t even have a passport until a year ago

Well there you have it 😯
    You seem to have travelled far and wide in one whole year to be able to give your wise thoughts on life in general about the world and this Industry "Old Chap" 😀

David Stevens
    Participant

Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar