Home Forums General General Board Foreign Construction vessels working in Australia

Foreign Construction vessels working in Australia

Home Forums General General Board Foreign Construction vessels working in Australia

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    doug
    Participant

Hi , would anyone have a good web site they could recommend or accurate info on the level of Austalian crewing required when a foreign registered vessel goes to work in Austalia?
    i.e. do all the catering crew , construction crew including riggers and crane ops , ROV crew , marine crew including DPO’s , engineers , AB’s , bosun etc have to be replaced by Australians or can a certain amount of them be retained onboard? If some crew can be retained what is the criteria for retention , is it down to safe operations onboard or experience of the vessel ? Is there an actual figure for the percentage of crew onboard who must be Australian?

Appreciate any information and feedback , thank you.

Northseahero
    Participant

Ok, I am going to be the first one to bite! This obviously is something that is irritating non Australian ROV crews out there, even though these conditions were fought hard for a few years ago.

Perhaps if the UK ROV Industry had a Union that cared more about offshore workers than it does rail workers than the rates in the UK might start to rise one day.

In fact, the rates in Australia have not really gone up much since they did a few years ago, and it maybe time for more industrial talks!

Anyway, a quick google search using "foreign marine crew working in Australian waters" came up with a these answers:

"When a ship arrives in Australian waters and that arrival constitutes a break in the continuity of an international voyage because the ship will remain in Australia, Customs normally treats the ship as having been imported. Importation requires the owner to lodge a Customs entry.

Foreign sea crew lose their Maritime Crew Visa status 5 days after Customs entry/import. Foreign crew are required to depart Australia unless they hold an appropriate work visa which will usually be required to be applied for offshore."

Work Visas are not granted in Australia if an Australian Citizen is available and qualified to do the job.

If a foreigner is granted a work visa for Australia, then by law they must be paid the same wage as an Australian worker doing the same job.

Good on the Aussies!

Northseahero
    Participant

Oh, and I am a Pom by the way. However, like James stated the other day, I have always been very impressed with what the Aussies were able to do down in Australia a few years back in getting their rates raised to a more appropriate level..

doug
    Participant

NS Hero , agree 100% on the union side of what the Australians do , my point is really just to see if someone had gone through the process of arriving in Oz on a foreign flag vessel with a full crew of Non Australians onboard and when the ship had mobilised and sailed was it down to having only the Captain , C/E , OCM for example left onboard from original crew and the rest was now local content.
    I have heard some stories on this being the case but uncertain of the accuracy of them.

Thanks for your response….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar