Home Forums General General Board Glass Fibre Tape

Glass Fibre Tape

Home Forums General General Board Glass Fibre Tape

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bcklad
    Participant

Folks,

I’m looking for a part number for Glass Fibre tape.

You know the type you would use for a temporary repair on a broken armour strand of a umbilical for example.

I’ve used this stuff in the past but for the life of me I cant find the bl**dy stuff online (must be having a blonde moment 😉 )

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

In the interim, you can always use SS or bronze shims.

Glevum
    Participant

RS do self adhesive glass cloth tape

RS 408-9401

Is this what you are looking for?

Corbin
    Participant

For a diy, the fiberglass will show through if not completely covered or sanded too much. Paper is much easier to handle in that respect, but more difficult to apply. You have to make sure the tape is 100% embedded in wet compound to avoid bubbles and it takes more work to apply compound to the wall for paper. Fiberglass will stick to the wall and then apply the compound.

Sometimes you run into corners that are not tight to each other and you want to tape it now. So, you fill the void with mud apply the tape and mud that. Fiberglass tends to get pushed into the void, leaving a crooked corner. Paper is folded and makes the corner for you.

Keith Jones
    Participant
    LNM
    Participant

I think the stuff you are looking for is "TESSA" tape. Its a clear tape with a fiber weave on the sticky side like clear duct tape but much stronger, 3M make it, try searching for "3M 8954 X Weave Filament Tape 25mm x 50m"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar