Home Forums General General Board Help a diver out guys

Help a diver out guys

Home Forums General General Board Help a diver out guys

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Todd Caldwell
    Participant

I think the ROV schools would have you think that a course is required, but that’s understandable, it’s also not a legal requirement as in say HSE certs for divers. The trouble is there is no evidence that anyone having completed an ROV course is any more use, or desirable to an employer, than someone that hasn’t.

I’m an ex sat diver but had a good few years if mechanical apprenticeship and on the job experience behind me before switching over to ROV’s.

No-one with neither Mech or Elec training/experience should be looking at taking an ROV course or trying to get into ROV’s for no other reason than the job requirements do not match their experience. IN the broader concept this isn’t new to ROV’s.. it’s a long standing land/sea based requirement for all types of technical vocations.

I suggest you’d be better looking at using your contacts in the diving game to get into LST and then on to LSS. With CSWIP you still need to be pretty computer savvy to get by as a CSWIP 3.4 inspection person. CSWIP is not everyone’s cup of tea either.. but with LST for sure you already know the in’s and outs of that side of things and would settle in far more readily that ROV.

BTW.. the industry is a long way off replacing divers with ROV’s. In the late 80’s I remember hearing that one… here we are in 2011 still locking plenty of divers out of the bell!

I had the feeling about being a bit late, when it comes to a tech background and my wife even says the same thing!
    3.4u is something, but while i am more than computer savvy, maybe it would bore me to the point of not being able to learn. But i am now going to give it some thought.
    LST might be it then, and i would actually like doing it too.

ROV seems like a really nice job though.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

That’s what everybody thinks 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

t205,

You used a vital key word in your last sentence "seems"….

mustafa bigen
    Participant

I must admit that there is a big difference between a couple work class on a construction vessel and an eyeball on a dive job. In fact dive support does seem a really nice job lol.

I’ve had a few of those holidays myself. I’m guessing that t20569cald exposure to rov would have been the latter.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The good bit about this is t20569cald is him listening and acting on advice received.

I truly believe he will be better heading down the LST path in an industry he is already familiar with and established in. That’s what I’d do in his position.
    Also as a Sat diver some of the best LST’s I came acropss were ex-divers. They had been there and loved on the bin often enough to know what it’s like and how to look after the troops inside. Plus, getting your head around PPP02, CO2 limits, Gas mixes, pressures etc is no hassle.

I wish t20569cald the best of luck all the same.
    Thanks for asking and listening. It makes a refreshing change and will most likely have saved him a heap of cash! :tup:

PS. Diving ‘seems‘ like a ‘Nice‘ job until you have been there. I can assure you the novelty wears off after a while 😉

Todd Caldwell
    Participant

Well, i think i might start with LST and see what happens.
    Have my own business in startup, so maybe with some luck, i can give this whole offshore thing the boot in 4 or 5 years time.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Well, i think i might start with LST and see what happens.
    Have my own business in startup, so maybe with some luck, i can give this whole offshore thing the boot in 4 or 5 years time.

Good luck on both counts :tup:

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar