Home Forums General General Board How long sat on the beach..

How long sat on the beach..

Home Forums General General Board How long sat on the beach..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    iROV
    Participant

2010 – ? (on the beach 96 days thusfar)

That’s good going considering we are only 74 days into the year.

Good for him for being at home with x-mas!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

110 people on line at present.
    I doubt that many of them are sitting and viewing from vessels.

A good number will be google bots and likes. We’re just not that popular 😉

turtle
    Participant

I’ve been off a couple weeks now, stayed busy through the winter. But I’m willing to work over holidays, adjust day rate requirements as per market demands, play different roles in the industry as opportunities arise.

I was first to exploit rise in dayrates during boom of last few years, reluctantly accepted 50/day less in latest downturn, expect to realize increase in billable as demand rises during busy season. I do not have the luxury of boycotting work as a futile gesture to protest matters which are not in my power to control. Call it scab, opportunistic, whatever. I call it doing business as an Independent Contractor. I accept responsibility for my fate as a result of what I feel I have to do to conduct my business. I do not blame the guy next to me for his choice. Both of us are at the mercy of decisions by other folks that conduct their business under the same considerations and market forces.

I regret that companies act unified in their industry approach to wage control. I wish that as a labor force we had solidarity. It’s not there, won’t be happening in the foreseeable future.

Now that it’s tough times there is a rant from those who can afford to sit at home : "How can you go to work and undercut what I want for a day rate?" When the rates were up a couple years back did we hear those same voices : "No, I won’t accept the extra 50/day until you raise my buddy’s rate accordingly"?

Those that contract my services offer no pretense of allegiance once the contract is over. If they think they can negotiate down on the day rate I expect it will be attempted. When I sensed there was a state of urgency at filling a need I did the same to them to get the extra 50/day.

Day rates will rise when there is more demand for personnel than there is supply. It ain’t rocket science.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Been sitting at home since mid November.

Tho I did get a call a couple of weeks back, went to Aberdeen, checked, in at Bond, got bumped, waited 2 days for next chopper then got cancelled! But 4 days pay at least 🙂

Robert Branch
    Participant

As James has stated of course this job is seasonal and one can expect after being in the industry to be sitting at home for a period of time in the off season..The worst part about it all is never knowing what the future holds in the industry.Never a inkling from any of the companies as to what they may have coming up..All seems to be a big secret…
    Do any of you guys think the North Sea will be very very quiet this year?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Do any of you guys think the North Sea will be very very quiet this year?

I don’t.

Robert Branch
    Participant

What about S.E Asia??

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

What about S.E Asia??

Read back in the thread…. and the Rates threads….

Robert Branch
    Participant

Scott Im just asking where all the work is going to be this year…if any….
    Oz is looking good for later this year it seems,not sure about the UK due to the influx of trainees and our Polish friends,and Im not sure about SE Asia as i havent worked there for a long time,and used to work for Canyon and they are dead,and alot of Singapore companies now seem to be using Indians and Filipinos…Im starting to think I may have to return to the pits again oh that is a worry.

Sit Rep
    Participant

Better than even time here in Oz i.e. 45 days offshore at the moment this year and currently offshore with another couple of weeks to go.

Don’t agree (Surf91) that Australia is quiet but you probably have to be with the right mob. I’m not under-cutting anyone either being on a uni0n agreed rate.

I know that I have been busier here in the last 4 months than I was in the last 6 months I spent in SE Asia.

Horses for courses though the field(s) in Australia are still growing with a lot of infrastructure still to be built, the North Sea (UK sector) is probably flogging a dead horse (no?).

Cheers

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Scott Im just asking where all the work is going to be this year…if any….
    Oz is looking good for later this year it seems,not sure about the UK due to the influx of trainees and our Polish friends,and Im not sure about SE Asia as i havent worked there for a long time,and used to work for Canyon and they are dead,and alot of Singapore companies now seem to be using Indians and Filipinos…Im starting to think I may have to return to the pits again oh that is a worry.

My abstract statement for the day…. cyclic measurements and movements….

sooty
    Participant

Much to my chagrin and I’m an Ops Manager…. I think you’re [edited by admin]. If you don’t like it then fuck off elsewhere . Sorry you aint got a job cos I can’t think of anyone who would employ a [edited by admin] like you . Get over it 😀

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Much to my chagrin and I’m an Ops Manager…. I think you’re [edited by admin]. If you don’t like it then [banned word] off elsewhere . Sorry you aint got a job cos I can’t think of anyone who would employ a [edited by admin] like you . Get over it 😀

I edited out the abusive content.

Read our guidelines and abide by them, or find another forum to be abusive in.

sooty
    Participant

Apologies fot the abusive post, but anyone who does know him will agree with me he’s a c**k!

R2D2
    Participant

Woah, that woke everyone up.
    For a moment I thought I was on a divers’ forum 😉
    Quite gave me the shivers.

At least there are some nibbles happening today, albeit weak.
    I’m hoping it is the start of a pulse and not just the last ebb before flat-line.

Off to chase the spiders out of my sea-bag and polish my boots.

Success everyone!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar