Home Forums General General Board How long sat on the beach..

How long sat on the beach..

Home Forums General General Board How long sat on the beach..

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Andy Shiers
    Participant

but by that time the pound will be worthless..

Surf , You checked out the Euro recently ? ๐Ÿ˜€

Robert Branch
    Participant

No Why ??

Anonymous

smurf91

The Euro is a currency used throughout most of the EU countries. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Robert Branch
    Participant

Yes I understand that completely Stallion Man,but what has that to do as to whether I have checked out the Euro exchange rate recently…??Pray tell Muppet??

James McLauchlan
    Participant

smurf91

The Euro is a currency used throughout most of the EU countries. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

I think many of us know that. It’s very name is a give away.

Like all currencies the Euro has up and down trends.

Not sure what your point was though?

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Check out the latest news ๐Ÿ˜€

Differing views in Europe over how to deal with Greece’s debt crisis are weighing on the euro. But Europe’s common currency may have another problem soon: A surging dollar backed by a recovering U.S. economy.

The euro tumbled to a fresh 10-month low against the dollar Wednesday as concerns about Europe’s debt problems flared up again in the wake of a sovereign-debt downgrade of fiscally-challenged Portugal. The euro is edging higher Thursday after the European Central Bank soothed worries by extending a crisis-era policy of accepting lower-quality Greek bonds as collateral for loans to banks.

But Wednesday’s euro slide was peculiar for two reasons. First, the euro bore the brunt of the market’s bad mood, while bond markets in Portugal and other troubled euro-zone hot-spots largely shrugged off the latest round of jitters. In recent months, the euro and these markets have moved together. Currency traders also ignored an encouraging batch of economic news out of Europe.

Colin Harte, director of fixed-interest and currencies at Baring Asset Management in London, says the reason is traders are now worried not only about a Greek default, but also about the euro zone’s broader structural issuesโ€”including long-term economic imbalances like Germany’s large trade surplus and budget deficits in weaker economies. It’s also disturbing that European leaders can’t come together to deal with the euro’s biggest challenge since being introduced in 1999โ€”or won’t. Even Zhu Min, vice governor of the People’s Bank of Chinaโ€”who described Greece’s debt problem as "the top of the iceberg" on Thursdayโ€”is worried.

"Greece is showing all the basic fault lines that everyone knew were there," Baring’s Mr. Harte says.

A second worry for the euro, however, is American. Jitters over Europe’s large budget deficits have some traders moving their cash out of euros into safer U.S. dollars, pushing the greenback’s value higher. But there’s more to the dollar’s recent upswing than that. The dollar rose broadly Wednesday against many currencies, including the Australian, Canadian and New Zealand dollars, and hit its highest level since January against the Japanese yen. It also trounced the British pound. Yesterday wasn’t entirely about the euro.

This may be a hint that investors are moving to comparing Europe’s economic prospects to the U.S.’s, and betting against Europe. Adam Boyton, a currency analyst at Deutsche Bank in New York, expects the dollar to rise further against the euro and yen in coming months as worries about Greece play second fiddle to an increasingly loud story about the U.S. economy outperforming other regions. He sees the euro falling to the high $1.20’s or $1.30. Other analysts say the euro could fall further, to $1.25, if this "dollar story" takes flight.

It’s still a little unclear why the dollar surged Wednesday given U.S. Treasury bonds sank in price on weak demand for the U.S. government’s debt. But traders worried about the euro may want to watch the dollar.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

So here I am, ‘Sat on the beach‘ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Short on the Euro/USD… lets see where that goes

joeboy
    Participant

Not me as many years in and busy busy busy . Take a minor cut in wages and work a few extra days skippy ๐Ÿ˜€

Oh dear ๐Ÿ™

Then (next year) take another ‘minor cut in wages’ and work for even more days to make up for the shortfall, then the following year do the same.

By the time you retire you’ll be on S$45/day and need to do 365 days a year offshore to earn the same annual income Lah!

Strange how you jump in on page 3 about abuse after the comments above your post on page 1. I have never taken a cut in my rate but find it offensive that the guy makes a suggestion to take a cut and get some days(although the OP’s not skint and has already turned down work at a lower rate) and then gets shouted down as a scab. Oh really? How very right on and oh aren’t we all the boys together. I remember the 70’s/80’s and what the unions did to the UK. Take your picket line mentality and shove it up your collective. It didn’t put bread on the table back then and its not going to now.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Strange how you jump in on page 3 about abuse after the comments above your post on page 1. I have never taken a cut in my rate but find it offensive that the guy makes a suggestion to take a cut and get some days(although the OP’s not skint and has already turned down work at a lower rate) and then gets shouted down as a scab. Oh really? How very right on and oh aren’t we all the boys together. I remember the 70’s/80’s and what the unions did to the UK. Take your picket line mentality and shove it up your collective. It didn’t put bread on the table back then and its not going to now.

Blimely.. this becoming a once a month routine now. Had a corker last month too ๐Ÿ™‚
    2010 Must be a have a pop at jamesmc year ๐Ÿ˜‰

Strange – Why??

In my capacity as forum admin (or owner – whatever your prefer) I ‘jumped in’ on page three because there was abuse and it was getting personal between two people, plus expletives were being used at individual level.

I have to confess I am often tempted to do the same when someone, such as you, appears to take me to task in an open forum over something I feel I am not guilty of.

There is nothing wrong with what I said on page 1. It was not abusive but clearly made the point that if a person (such as the OP) takes a pay cut at the start of each season, over the years, the money will never improve and would be liable to take a retrograde step! It also took a rather flippant dig at SS7 employing Filipinos in the UK sector of the North Sea on crap wages. The figure I quoted is about what they are paying Filipinos in the North Sea at present.

Did I say all these things?
    In this thread many things (such as the word ‘scab’) have been written by other members… but not all by me! However, you appear to have lumped all the things you find offensive in this thread under my username and had a dig at me for it! Well, that’s how it looks to me, but I have to confess I am sensitive and easily hurt over things such as this.

In your post (see above) you quote my username and then, in the same reply appear to suggest that I am party to calling people scabs in this forum. Not true. You go on to say I have a picket line mentality and yet in the thread have I never advocated strikes over pay nor discussed the merits of pickets lines.

I would hardly call that as me having a picket line mentality, but then that’s just my view.. you obviously see it from different perspective.

I do often argue for decent rates for what is seen by many as a technical and sometimes difficult job. I also argue to not take rate cuts in an industry that is now seeing the barrel at around $84.00 and still rising! The industry is healthy and pay cuts are counter-productive in the longer term. If the barrel was around $20.00 and the industry was screwed with large companies going bust, left right and centre, then the argument to taking a rate cut ‘might’ have merit. In the interim lots of money is still being made and little of it is being fed down the line.

joeboy
    If you wish to continue to have a dig at me send me a PM and we can do it behind the scenes.

joeboy
    Participant

Guess i should have used a new paragraph when venting at unions, my apologies. ๐Ÿ˜ณ The bit about unions i leave as is and directed(as was my intention) at those who shout scab. OP hope you have a busy and productive 2010 season.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I remember the 70’s/80’s and what the unions did to the UK. Take your picket line mentality and shove it up your collective. It didn’t put bread on the table back then and its not going to now.

I cannot see how talking about Unions 70’s/80’s Strikes by Coal miners has Any relevance to The Oil and Gas industry ๐Ÿ˜•
    The ROV industry is an exceptional workplace with Massive amounts of Money injection and growing technology ๐Ÿ˜ฏ . The Coal Industry was starting to be a lose profit outdated Industry.
    Due to the very close nature of our industry to the mainly Oil and Gas Industry primarily OIL which is being being sold at prices per dollar In Barrels ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
    I don’t see coal as "The Mineral" that the world makes profits on !
    Oil Means Profits ……………… BILLIONS of it !
    It’s a question of how we can funnel some more of said profits to the people who help extract it .For example us ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
    How can I become a Pilot ? A question asked over and over again 5 years ago and still now. Answer -get a job with an ROV company.Question – Is there much work around ? Answer – Hmmmmm Depends what time of the year and whether the ROV companies are recruiting.
    I canna seem to make ends meet in this ROV game , TOO many days waiting around and I need a ‘Foot in the door’ I guess I will have to go in Low to put bread on the table !
    So, to cut a long story short ๐Ÿ™„
    The market is flooded and has been for too long because of greedy Useless people making money off the backs of others !
    Agreed , Some techs are better than others but said techs are Fยฃ’king useless at flying ROVS and that is the main purpose of them surely ? To fly underwater and DO THINGS ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
    I have not heard of a strike over the world by ROV pilots but whether you are in the Union or not with out benifits ,you can still down tools so that there is more impact on the greedy oil barons.
    But if you are one of those Ponces that sits there taking a pay cut I hope amongst hope that you will still have that same rate when There is a large payrise due to people fighting for it and not just get it riding on the backs of others ! ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
    I know , ๐Ÿ™‚ Change your job and get out all together ๐Ÿ˜€
    You cannot be that good , after all , if you are willing to take a pay cut !
    You are just a "Bum on a seat" a pain in the ass and one of the reasons why this job is not as high paying as it used to be !
    BUGGER OFF ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

me
    Participant

OK so many people have gone on jobs on a less day rate, many people here say useless people, that mean that within a short time we will hear of a lot of jobs gone tits up????????? And then the people sitting on the beach for months are going out on a higher day rate???

joeboy
    Participant

Just for you Lostboy,

I have never taken a cut in my rate

๐Ÿ˜†

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

OK so many people have gone on jobs on a less day rate, many people here say useless people, that mean that within a short time we will hear of a lot of jobs gone tits up????????? And then the people sitting on the beach for months are going out on a higher day rate???

Quite a few jobs have gone tits up in the last 5 years and companies have lost contracts or fell out of favor with some oil companies…..

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar