Home Forums General General Board How long sat on the beach..

How long sat on the beach..

Home Forums General General Board How long sat on the beach..

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Ray Shields
    Participant

I have to disagree with the economic crises crap…. it still only cost approx. $20 to produce a bbl of oil…. do the math. The fat shiny butts are raping us for loads!!!!!

The mathS is it cost $20 a barrel to produce "back in the Year Dot" according DJansen. You surely aren’t thinking is still only costs that? And you also have to add on various Government taxes on top of the production cost.

But you must realises the whole aim of a Company is to make as much money as it can for its shareholders, not to pay lots of needless money to workers – especially those wayyyy down the pecking order. Thats shareholders such as individuals like ourselves, banks and pension companies, who are also making as much money as they can for their shareholders and pensionholders, like us (tho you before me, LoL)

Oil companies aint a charity, so your rants are wasted 🙂

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Oil companies aint a charity, so your rants are wasted 🙂

But boy isn’t it nice to have a place to post a rant? 😉

If that alone makes people feel better then it has to be a good thing.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

55 days so far, 75 by the end of the trip and guaranteed work for June and Aug. 145 days at £435 pd more than enough to see me through to next year if nothing else turns up.

Yep…. figured you were working for a pittance… There was a lot of "I’s & Me’s" in your posts.

effinreps
    Participant

I thought £435 was ok for sub eng

effinreps
    Participant

1 me and no I’s by my count 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

1 me and no I’s by my count 😀

Was being rhetorical… okay…. 435 for sub-eng is really a pittance… 450 would be better/realistic tho’ don’t you think?

effinreps
    Participant

James, can we do a poll to see how many guys on here have earned £450 pd as sub eng, working through an agency? Excluding Nigeria. I’d be very surprised if it were more than a handfull.

Anonymous

Its all about working fellas. Keep on working reps. I’d much rather work for 435DPB a day than not at all. I guess those who are having a dig are those who are SAT ON THE BEACH!

I for one wouldn’t turn down work if it were a choice between getting435 GPB & wanting 450GPB.

Of course by not paying union dues for the past 2 years which others were advocating I saved 384 GBP. 😆

Sit Rep
    Participant

Of course that wouldn’t pay for one year’s membership in a proper un1on.

…and a sub eng would be on around $1250 AUD (756 GBP) as opposed to $744 AUD @ 450 GBP.

Not to mention the compulsory 9 % superannuation employer contribution!

🙄

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

James, can we do a poll to see how many guys on here have earned £450 pd as sub eng, working through an agency? Excluding Nigeria. I’d be very surprised if it were more than a handfull.

. Exactly my frggin’ point son!!!! When are you guys gonna see the obvious instead of the oblivious…. ??????????????????????????

You all can ruin your own industry and I mean OUR OWN….. I won’t have any part in it… I’ll be soooooooooo effin’ glad when I can get away from this nonsence…

and as for the I, mee’s and
    the mine’s… the likes of Asian Stallions, how can you ask for a pay rise when yur little thingy is hiding between your legs???? Grow some brass ones for a change and join the club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And HELL YEAH!!!!!!!! I’ll sit on the beach, as I have in the past, so when I’m called to fix all you young spunks farqups I can laff all the way to thew bank!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙄 🙄 🙄

DJansen
    Participant

Sub Eng’s where I’m at are getting 500 quid a day… Supv’s on 630..
    It pays to shop around… Why suffer DOF, SS7 and Sonsub Aberdeens shite rates ? Worse why bother with agencies that don’t have the guys on their books interests at heart.. They are meant to be working for the ROV guys not the ROV companies.. I know people are in different financial situations but as long as someone is desperate to work and will suck up a low ball rate the companies will continue to take advantage… Like has been said they are running a business.. and worse there is a queue a mile long of fellas gagging to get a start..

The biggest shame is despite the industry always crying out for ‘experienced personel’ they still seem unwilling to pay a premium for that experience and seem happy to suck it up when they loose a sub or have an incident.. So much for safety eh ?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

You can add one if you wish (as a new thread) but I think it’s a moot point.

Scottbeve may be a bit overzealous in his responses sometimes, but his underlying point is solid. People give too much away too easily in this game. That’s why rates have been pretty stagnant over the years.
    Like somebody said (elsewhere in the forum).. when oil went through the roof the other year, drill rigs were on premium rates, vessel on premium charter rates so service companies coining it in.
    What happened to individual day rates? Not a lot.
    Why? Because people were too scared to rock the boat and ask for more money. Didn’t stop the service companies and vessel owners asking the likes of Shell or BP for more money did it? Who’s the mugs there then?

Still sat on the beach? What’s the problem?
    This year has seen somewhat of a slow start… but that happens often in the general up and down cycle of our industry however, if some of these posts are anything to go by, it seems panic has set in a bit. Running out of money and taking rate cuts to get back to work sooner than the next person bothers the hell out of me, if for no other reason that a moral one, plus you can’t be planning ahead if that is happening to you right now, or you are in the wrong job. One of those reasons must apply in this case.

If you are UK based you must expect to be sitting on the beach until around this point in the year. You are living under false pretences if you think you have some god given right to work in the months between October/November and March/April. Many do work in those months.. but they are most likely well established or in full time employment (not day rate).
    If you are based outside the UK then a similar deal may apply in your area.

As a rough guide I would suggest that you hope to do around 180 days per year. Some want and do more, other want and do less.
    Many will have to pay tax on that. Do the sums and see if that money (after tax & other expenses) will last you through to the next season. Plus, if you do not have one already, create a buffer fund so that you do not start running out of cash should there be a slow start to the following year. God this has been said often in the past years on here. Yet, many seem to feel they know better and load up with credit in the high season then run out of cash at the slightest sign of work lessening off or a slow start to the year. What’s that all about?

Russell Coffield
    Participant

Haven’t worked since Dec 2009, this is the longest i have ever been on the beach…Kids are happy though……

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Its all about working fellas. Keep on working reps. I’d much rather work for 435DPB a day than not at all. I guess those who are having a dig are those who are SAT ON THE BEACH!

I for one wouldn’t turn down work if it were a choice between getting435 GPB & wanting 450GPB.

Of course by not paying union dues for the past 2 years which others were advocating I saved 384 GBP. 😆

Worked more than 6 weeks this year at rates that were better than last years…

Anonymous

I laugh when people quote the Auz rates.

OK so lets say a sub eng get 744 GPB a day in Auz. After you take off tax which by all accounts is hefty in Auz ( 50% ? ) someone I,m sure will know that leaves you with…………….372 GPB in your pocket. Rather low don’t you think.
    One benefit to being a Brit is that tax avoidance IS possible be it non-res. else seafarers.

So 435 GBP tax free is far better than 744 GPB & paying tax.
    Those who work in the north sea can moan all they like about paying tax, but it’s a choice where we work & how to plan your taxes 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar