Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Hydraulic Pump

Hydraulic Pump

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Hydraulic Pump

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Lotfalipour
    Participant

Hello Dudes
    yeah again it’s me!
    I’ve got the hydrauliic pump Rexroth A10VSO for WC ROV,while we were at depth suddenly we encountered problem of losing the oil after recovery we found out the hydraulic Pump got spoiled.so we aint got any option except changing with spare one.after we did it while we were bleeding the air the second pump also burst.it was great!so we fiited 3rd pump again when we were trying to bled the air and adjust the DRG (pressure controller) we fucked the last pump.
    it’s funny ha?
    so please guide me and my friends for understanding what happened for us and the pumps.
    meanwhile the thruster rotated fine but noisy.
    cheers
    Saeed

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I assume the system was fully drained/flushed and a new set of filters were fitted before firing up the new (second) pump?

alan child
    Participant

First pump, internal failer = debri in oil …possible,
    or
    it failed due to lack of oil (u mentioned a leak which usually means losing oil out of the system somehow) =pump run dry and debri in oil…again possible,
    assume they are lubricated by hydraulic fluid as most pumps are?
    or
    if you didnt rectify where all the oil went, when there is no oil left it dont leak anymore…possible
    then,
    you seize the second and third pumps cos no oil in the system, or oil contam with first pumps internals, or whats left of them.
    solution
    refil the res, bleed system if not self bleeding, drain and flush,replace all low and high presseure filters, then another drain and flush, more filters and further drain and flush,
    then …it should be good to go

just a thought

please take with pinch of salt as what do i know, never worked on a ROV, but lots and lots of hydraulics system failers and in my view no point putting a servicable component into a suspect system,
    its not alway as simple as replacing the thing that failed

AL

T-Boy
    Participant

Initially from what you have said, my take on it would be, if the oil has gone at depth, then you may have little oil left in your water system! If the thrusters are nosiy and you are bursting motors then it’s likely that you still have water AND air in it. Although it’s a bit late now…

1. Investigate faulty pump for any evidence (as mentioned in earlier posts) of foreign objects, water ingress etc BEFORE fitting a new pump

2. Drain, flush, circulate oil through system to remove any of the above. Actuate valves, thrusters, anything that uses the hydraulic circuit. Drain and flush again.

3. Inspect/sample the oil

4. Check clearences and that end thrust/float on the motor shaft is within tolerance…(I doubt that this would instigate the fault), but worth doing as you have (had) it in pieces

5. Check rotation of the electric motor and RPM. Although again, I would be suprised if this was the precursor to the fault, a possibility tho’

THEN and ONLY then, when you have satisfied yourself that the rest of the system is NOT the cause would I even entertain putting on a new pump, (after initially filling it on the bench with oil and checking rotation is free etc).

💡 It’s a system of logical thought processes (through understanding the basics) to rule out (what usually are the cause) the obvious. 💡

Written by a sparkie, so I may have missed a few points 😆

Pay Peanuts….need I say more ❓

Ray Shields
    Participant

Saeed,

may I suggest while you and your friends are having a great laugh offshore blowing up all the hydraulic pumps on your Companys ROV system, that this will actually be costing them a lot of money.

And maybe you should suggest to them that they send out along with a replacement pump some ROV Pilot Technicians who know what they are doing?

Just a thought.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Sounds to me like they know what they are doing and don’t need experienced pilot/Techs on the job as it costs their company more money l
    Shame really 8)
    I wish them all the best 😯

tc1
    Participant

It seems we have gone from real pilot/techs on teams to maybe one pilot/tech on a team training others and now to zero techs on a team and real pilot/techs training by proxy.

Hmmm Where does it end?

alan child
    Participant

well boys im neither, im an aircraft tech, and as i tell all my new boys, nuts and bolts are just nuts and bolts no matter what system they in.

so

you mate have given me hope, cos if thats the standard of technical diagnosis used in this industry them im in with a chance, you trash 3 hyd pumps on an aircraft and still not fix the snag, you’ll be unemployed even before you went and orderd the forth.

however you have got the last laugh, cos you are an rov pilot/tech and im just a newbee/wannabee with little hope of getting a job cos , you get what you pay for …peanuts anyone

AL 🙄

Perry Gurtin
    Participant

Hi guys,

Please don’t take this the wrong way as we should not judge other people’s skills but if it is the opinion of some, that no skill is involved to get into or remain in the ROV field then good luck in entering it. All companies will surely welcome your valued input as we have obviously been doing the wrong thing by asking questions that we may or may not be a little fuzzy about??

Cheers,

Canuck1

Des_b
    Participant

No one is judging the skill level here but these guys are making it extremely hard work for themselves on several accounts.

1. They haven’t even given a decent technical description of the problem so how can they expect a decent technical reply? (language issues aside as well).

2. Any decent tech would/should be able to fault find the problem through logical progression which doesn’t appear to have happened but its hard to tell due to lack of technical input about the problem.ie. What was the depth when the fault occurred? What is the working pressure/ What was it when the fault occurred?What was the state of the oil, had the spare pumps been set up pressure wise, checked and had docs to say so etc, etc……..list is long.

Most people hate to ask others for help especially on an open forum like this unless it is absolutely necessary and its a last resort. This seems like they couldnt be bothered to even try…might not be true but feels like it.
    Im not always pessimistic just realistic……. 😀 😀 😀

Saeed Do you guys have the manual for it? If not I have one I can email to you….

I hope you had better luck with the 4th pump…No one like to see people struggling!

tc1
    Participant

canuck1.

It is happening in our industry now that people who have zero tech skills are brought in for various reasons.

If you are part of a team whether it be eyeball work class or other then the upper levels of that particular team should be able to fault find and fix any particular problem with that particular system.

If someone needs to come on to this forum and ask how to fix a problem that is not rocket science then it follows that the members of that team are not technically qualified to do the job they are being paid for.

This industry is in need of an overhaul and the companies know it but as long as someone can come on here and get the answer to simple questions then the companies will quite happily continue to fill seats with people claiming to be techs and pay them buttons because they can get their subs fixed by proxy.

If there is a question on a system that hasn’t been addressed before then yes come and seek an opinion but to come and ask for help in how to stop busting numerous hyd pumps is very basic and should be within the competency of a real tech.

T-Boy
    Participant

Have you had any luck Saeed?

Straying slightly…

I take the OP at face value, and what it says to me is pretty obvious…cheap labour and no experience.

This is the ‘response-ability’ of the office wallers/ops managers/Project managers that are cutting costs left, right and centre to win contratcs, and something has to suffer…the quality of the workforce.

We are all doomed anyway…it’s the 10/10/10 😯 No dives today 😆

Matt
    Participant

A10V series pumps suffer failures from a couple of easily remediated causes sometimes:

1. Case drain not being fully air bled before initial startup

2. Compensation pressure too high (over 7.5 psi)

3. Initial DFR settings too high would also be a consideration, although I don’t believe catastrophic failure just because of this would be common

4. Run thrusters as you start up the pump for the first time to flush air more rapidly and take the load off the pump – may be more fiction than truth, but I always do it because that’s what I was taught

5. Of course this has been covered in great detail already, but foreign objects/clogged filters are also common culprits

Hope this helps.

posto
    Participant

A10V series pumps suffer failures from a couple of easily remediated causes sometimes:

1. Case drain not being fully air bled before initial startup

2. Compensation pressure too high (over 7.5 psi)

3. Initial DFR settings too high would also be a consideration, although I don’t believe catastrophic failure just because of this would be common

4. Run thrusters as you start up the pump for the first time to flush air more rapidly and take the load off the pump – may be more fiction than truth, but I always do it because that’s what I was taught

5. Of course this has been covered in great detail already, but foreign objects/clogged filters are also common culprits

Hope this helps.

Hello guys,

im newbie in this world..can i ask you all if the return line have a leak.is it can be the pump failure?

thanks for helping..

Anonymous

As a contractor I like to keep a good reputation, it keeps me in demand 😆 One job with a crew like that could easily damage one’s rep so if you could let me know your names, what company, vessel and sub you guys are on I can add it to my ever growing list and avoid youz all 😆

😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar