Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion I am Looking for a job as a trainee ROV Technician.

I am Looking for a job as a trainee ROV Technician.

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion I am Looking for a job as a trainee ROV Technician.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alex Holme
    Participant

Hi I have been a Royal Marine mechanic for 12 years and I am leaving, I have just completed a ROV Technician 11 course at MTCS and am looking for employment in the ROV industry. Please could any one help me as I am struggling to find some one who is employing at this time, I am willing to travel and I am ideally looking to gain off sure experience.
    Thank you to anyone that can help.
    Alex

Des_b
    Participant

Hello mate,

All you can do is keep trying. Its a catch 22 as you need experience to get a job…..just google the hell out of it, and keep looking. You are up against hundreds of people wanting the same thing. Look in the rookie section for info, there is plenty of it….

Best of luck!

Des

Ray Shields
    Participant

Booty,

the million dollar question, you and tens of thousands of others.

Read through the Rookie section, this question has been asked (and answered) hundreds of times already. Also have a look at the FAQ (link on the left side).

The industry takes on people for their technical ability to maintain and repair the equipment – you learn to fly and operate on the ob. Look at your technical qualifications and background. If you are mainly mechanical, see what you can do in increase your electrical/electronic knowledge or qualifications. Same for fibre optics, basic networking etc. Also health & safety, COSHH, risk assessments etc.

These training school courses are no more than an introduction to ROVs. On their own they will not get you a job, you must have a good technical background as well (but then there are thousands of others who also do as well).

For example one intake of 8 trainees last year had well over 1200 people apply. Good luck.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Hi I have been a Royal Marine mechanic for 12 years and I am leaving, I have just completed a ROV Technician 11 course at MTCS and am looking for employment in the ROV industry. Please could any one help me as I am struggling to find some one who is employing at this time, I am willing to travel and I am ideally looking to gain off sure experience.
    Thank you to anyone that can help.
    Alex

Alex

FYI I am ex RE. 😉
    If you are UK based you won’t find too many employers taking people on right now (January) as there is not too much offshore activity in the UK sector at this time of the year. So you may sense a certain lack of interest when you are calling/emailing around. Some companies are recruiting trainees in preparation for the new season. General demand for good techs will step up in a few months time.

One thing worth a shot is… maybe get your arse up to Aberdeen next month and, over a week, do the rounds of the companies. Visit the various ROV co’s in person and ask to speak with the person responsible for ROV recruitment. You may get lucky and it certainly feels more positive than hanging around at home and just emailing. That’s exactly what I did when I left the RE’s (based in Brighton at the time) I feel it might also show a potential employer how keen you are to get started by actually making the effort to visit in person.
    At each visit write down names and company contacts as soon as you get a chance, so that when you call again you can ask for that person by name. Ask for their business card.
    Make sure you have a few copies of your up to date CV and certs to hand out as you go. Always add a mobile (cell) number & email address to your CV and make sure the phone is on 24/7 and with you! Get some contact cards printed that you can hand out. You may get chatting with someone at a bar that might turn out to be a good lead. Nothing worse than saying "Oh! Er.. I haven’t got any cards printed yet!" and scribbling your contact info down on a soggy beer mat! Vista Print would be your easiest option for that I reckon. Name, ROV Pilot Tech, Mobile and email address, home address, should be on the card. You need ‘ROV Pilot Tech’ on the card so that people looking at the card later can make the connection as to you (potential) line of work.

Good luck! :tup:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar