Home Forums General General Board Iron Sand

Iron Sand

Home Forums General General Board Iron Sand

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Pete Win
    Participant

Starting a pipeline survey with full length in iron sand just wondering if anyone out there had done any projects in ironsand and what limitations i might come across?

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Very interesting question 8)
    I would be very interested to know how the oil company got round the anode problem.
    Is this in NZ ?

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Hey,

Iron sand shouldn’t have too much effect on the anodes themselves, (aluminium and iron are adjacent in the galvanic series*) however, the oil company would have probably put the anodes on top of concrete mattresses for added protection.

The iron sand will probably play havoc with the pipe tracker due to it’s magnetic properties. So, worth just keeping this in mind if using the pipe tracker.

On another note…iron sand has a tendency to heat up in direct sunlight, to such temperatures where it could cause minor burns.

*The distance on the galvanic series between two metals will also influence the likelihood of galvanic corrosion when the two metals are placed in conjunction with each other. For example, if aluminium is brought in contact with a steel pipe, the likelihood of corrosion is low since aluminium and steel are close together on the galvanic series. However, if a stainless steel fitting is used on an iron pipe, the likelihood of corrosion is much higher.

When galvanic corrosion occurs, the more active metals always become the anodes. This means that they are corroded, and in extreme cases can begin to leak. The less active metal becomes the cathode and is not damaged. Source: http://water.me.vccs.edu/courses/env110/lesson8_3.htm

Hope this helps…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar