Home Forums General General Board New start looking for help

New start looking for help

Home Forums General General Board New start looking for help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Craig Little
    Participant

Hi, looking for information on ROV training? 1. is it necessary to come from a certain background before training as an ROV operator. 2. What can a new start expect to earn in the first year post qualification from the Fort William course? 3. What should I expect to pay for the appropriate training?

Thank you in advance 😀

Des_b
    Participant

Just look in the rookie section and the other sections and you will find all your answers. If you want to do it enough do the research and then make an informed decision…

Cheers

Ray Shields
    Participant

Craigyboy,

firstly, attending any ROV training school is NOT a requirement for getting a job in ROVs (no matter what they tell you). Companies look for people with suitable qualifications and experience in maintenance of electrical and hydraulic systems.

As above, read through the Rookie section and the FAQs

John Bridgett
    Participant

Craigyboy,

firstly, attending any ROV training school is NOT a requirement for getting a job in ROVs

Ray is absolutely correct in his statement, I would add however IMHO it will help i.e. if you have 2 candidates with pretty much the same background one has never seen an ROV and one has done a course and has a few hours flying who would you give the job to?

I got into ROV’s via doing a course BUT I did have very relevant experience and a lot of it. If you have the money and you want to put yourself at a slight advantage go for it.

J

senior
    Participant

I agree with innerstate,
    Its shows your keen, but on here, some "others" have a different opinion of any training schools. IMHO

Saying that, if you have the right skills in the first place, its a lot of money to spend!, no matter which training establishment on which continent.

Craig Little
    Participant

Thanks very much guys. Would it be wise to fast track an electrician course and or a BTEC level 3 electronic engineering to enhance my employment potential. I am degree qualified with and MBA in business and MSc real estate /project management but have had no work for 4 months. I am about to get a visa to Australia and wanted to do the ROV to change career.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Thanks very much guys. Would it be wise to fast track an electrician course and or a BTEC level 3 electronic engineering to enhance my employment potential. I am degree qualified with and MBA in business and MSc real estate /project management but have had no work for 4 months. I am about to get a visa to Australia and wanted to do the ROV to change career.

I would suggest that your current qualifications would not count for anything to getting a job in ROVs. Therefore, you would already be well behind many other people out there who already have years of technical qualifications and experience behind them and are also wanting to start in ROVs.

I will hold my hand up as being one of the "others" who are not a fan of ROV training schools. Having appropriate qualifications and experience, doing a course would not do any harm (I would argue over how much it would help though), but doing the course without having any qualifications and background is never (sorry, highly improbable, we all know of one person who manages to get a job without qualifications due to being in the right place at the right time or having contacts in the right place!) going to get you a job.

John Bridgett
    Participant

I would suggest that your current qualifications would not count for anything to getting a job in ROVs. Therefore, you would already be well behind many other people out there who already have years of technical qualifications and experience behind them and are also wanting to start in ROVs.

I will hold my hand up as being one of the "others" who are not a fan of ROV training schools. Having appropriate qualifications and experience, doing a course would not do any harm (I would argue over how much it would help though), but doing the course without having any qualifications and background is never (sorry, highly improbable, we all know of one person who manages to get a job without qualifications due to being in the right place at the right time or having contacts in the right place!) going to get you a job.

Completely agree with ‘experience’ being the most important qualification.

Since starting out in this game and doing all the right things from the outside, now looking back from the inside Ray does make some extremely valid points.

J

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar