Home Forums General General Board Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !

Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !

Home Forums General General Board Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Scott Beveridge
    Participant

CHARGE THE WALL!!!! (wheeze, cough)

David Stevens
    Participant

Don’t get a name for being one of the arrogant ……..ts

Sir, You have mistaken my confidence for arrogance. While it is a fine line that is easily crossed, I am humbled every day by the fact that I am learning something new from my betters as well as my juniors. Arrogance would be to dismiss an idea because it came from a junior tech. Confidence is to accept that the kid had a good idea that is worth exploring and praise him for it. I lean more toward the ladder. I’m not some 20something kid, fresh out of school. I’m in my 30’s with a family and a dog. My child asks me questions all the time that I can’t answer, and I am humbled by that. I have been in leadership positions before I got into the ROV game. If I can be a department head with 30 employees and be responsible for $1.6 million a year in revenue before I was 30, I think I can handle 2 guys and the sub now. I do attempt to maintain an air of confidence about myself, because if I didn’t, the whole show you crumble and we would have anarchy. So you can talk all this ♠hit about me, but remember that the small industry thing is a two way street. Who knows? At the rate I’m going, you may have to work for me someday. Just a thought.

David Stevens
    Participant

To Lostboy.
    I thought I made myself clear, that I am not against age and experience. I am not saying that my generation’s exposure to computers at a young age and growing up in a digital world is all we need. I see the only real course of action is for all of us is to learn as much as we can from each other, young and old alike, so we can make our lives easier and keep the client off our a♠♠es. We’re all here to keep the downtime to a minimum and keep the day rates flowing. This wasn’t started with the intent of saying we’re better and you old guys can go to hell. Most of my assertions were referring specifically to the Schilling UHD the C-Innovation operates. I have seen first hand, on many occasions where the older analog guys have a heck of a time picking up the control system for these vehicles. All the while, the younger guys of the Playstation era come in with less experience and pick it up in a heartbeat. With these systems, these attributes are in high demand. Not to say that someone who knows tooling, operations and and can read schematics is useless. I’m saying that with the UHDs, both skill sets are needed. Take it for what it worth. You can keep your head stuck where it’s at, and keep talking smack. But I didn’t get where I’m at by kissing a♠♠ or breaking in a set of knee pads. I got here through hard work and trying to be better than the guy next to me. There is a difference between being better than your co-worker, and making him look bad to better yourself. I would guess that you fall into the ladder category, as that has been the theme to your posts. I’m not going to go back and forth with someone like you who calls me single minded, but can not take the blinders off and see the big picture.

KeyserSoze
    Participant

For fcuk’s sake man wind yer neck in!

Take it easy drinking all that coffee! 😀

As CJ once said, "I didn’t get where I am today without knowing there’s no fun in getting where I am today"!

You are starting to sound like him.

ROVRatt
    Participant

Hey, LunchboxROV,

Do you guys in the digital world still do paragraphs? It helps to break up the 1’s and 0’s so that us old farts that started by using Sinclair ZX81 computers can read your burst transmission.

Yes, the Sinclair ZX81 with 1kB memory that could get an expansion pack to upgrade it to 16kB! Downloads consisted of typing them in using a language called basic. Once that was done it could be saved on a tape recorder.

Never heard of it? Sorry, you must have been digitaling your (Diaper) nappy then. Remember that ROV is a small world and 1.8million turnover in a year is peanuts compared to losing a work class ROV because you think you confidently know what you’re doing.

K2
    Participant

😯

Sounds like you all need to ‘grow up’ a bit and get over this childish rubbish.

You will meet alsorts offshore, you just deal with it and get the job done, take the money, go home and enjoy…….

🙄

David Stevens
    Participant

Only time will tell about my abilities. If I lose a sub, I get promoted. That seems to be the standard I’ve picked up from most the guys I’ve worked with that have been around the game for a long time. I’m sure that in ten years I’ll be on the other side of this discussion when some punk kid shows up with a USB jack in his head and thinks I’m outdated because I still have to use my hands to fly.

I don’t want any crap about paragraphs. I’m not writing a term paper here. This isn’t exactly the place of proper grammar, sentence structure, spelling or punctuation usage. This is more about a free flow of thoughts and ideas.

I googled your Sinclair ZX81. I didn’t recognize the name, but it looks just like the See and Say with the Stephen Hawking voice I had as a small child. Very helpful in learning to read. So how far back in history is actually relevant today? Is my knowing what a the Difference Engine is going to allow me to somehow do my job better. I have yet to find any punch cards inside the control can. So I applaud your historical footnote. Thank you for the moment of nostalgia we all got out of you reference to your your ZX 81. But it has no bearing on today.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Oh Dear ! 🙄

David Stevens
    Participant

You will meet alsorts offshore, you just deal with it and get the job done, take the money, go home and enjoy…….

Amen to that brother.

liddelljohn
    Participant

My old Dad is 80 years old he has been a photographer all his life …using all the old chemical developing techniques etc a real master of his craft, but 15 years ago he switched to Digital cameras ,editing and computers ,he still has his darkroom and chemicals and his old plate cameras but guess what…many young pro photographers come to him for solutions to Digital editing problems and Digital camera systems …he is so busy its amazing ..he is a master of the new technology at 80 years old and he officially retired at 55.

Dont write off the oldtimers …some have the capability to evolve and some of the younger lads will never evolve from being pignorant know-it-alls.

Joel
    Participant

Yeeha Giddy up!!

You got to love this guys confidence. He is either another full of shit useless wind bag Yank (and i have met my share offshore and the weighting was heavily on the useless side…..), or he is diamond. I am going push the boat out here and say he is probably a diamond.

Really anyone casting any aspersions regarding grammatical or syntax errors on this site has got to be kidding right? This place is plagued with phonetic spelling, makes me cringe at times that these guys hand over a DPR to a client rep that looks like a child wrote it. Any way I digress…

Damn good reading over the last posts there lunchbox bravo, bravo indeed, tally ho and all that.

Des_b
    Participant

As old uncle Albert used to say, "DURING THE WAR……" 😀 😀 😀 😀

Anonymous

I have to agree a fair bit with Lunchbox.How much experiance is needed? ROV folk do get better with time and experiance, but only upto a certain point. Then its downhill. Like almost every other industry and walk of life.

Their experiance in outdated operations and obsolete equipment becomes a hinderance and not a help. As all who remember the old duffers when they first started offshore, already with 20 years of experiance. They become a nightmare in the end. Give me someone with 7yrs experiance rather than someone with 27yrs any day of the week.

Too many ROV folk think the terms experiance and ability are interchangeable.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Interesting 🙂
    That must equate to two thirds of the Industry 😯
    Someone in their middle age to sixties would have all their faculties and would be in the prime of their life 😕 Middle age meaning middle to late forties 😉 These said people have over twenty years experience starting from the late seventies which is when the ROV Industry kicked off BIG TIME in the NORTH SEA 8) Hence the reason why there are more British ROV pilots in the Industry than any other nationality.( I admit there are a couple of Turnips that are younger and have never had enough brain cells to operate the mouth let alone fly or fix 😆
    Someone of retirement age ( for example 70 ) may need to think about giving up the offshore business all together as they can become a medical hazzard , Not because they do not have the grey matter 🙂
    I wonder how old your Tutor / teacher was who taught you "ALL YOU KNOW" 😀 and whether he/she thinks much of your statement ……… hmmmmmmmmm 8)

David Stevens
    Participant

I wonder how old your Tutor / teacher was who taught you "ALL YOU KNOW"

One was six years older and one was 3 years younger. Interesting, huh?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • The topic ‘Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar