Home Forums General General Board Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !

Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !

Home Forums General General Board Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    ROVRatt
    Participant

Good to see you’re breaking up your wall of text and using paragraphs LunchboxROV. Using correct punctuation, syntax and grammar in your reports will get you noticed by the people that count. Losing an ROV will get you noticed by the same people but for a different reason. You will get to write reports using the proper syntax, grammar etc when they deem you experienced enough. So, if you’re not writing them yet, you’re not as experienced as you think.

I googled your Sinclair ZX81. I didn’t recognize the name, but it looks just like the See and Say with the Stephen Hawking voice I had as a small child. Very helpful in learning to read.

Wrong. It couldn’t speak and the screen was the TV set you had to connect it to for a display. It was a real computer otherwise with more computing power than the Lunar Module that landed the astronauts on the moon in the pre digital age. You probably won’t find much on google about it as it is pre internet age.

K2
    Participant

ROV Types:

Old salt: back turned on technology, created a niche for themselves, do very little, not interested in change, responsible for paperwork and carried by the team. Revered by the office – usually people of similar ilk or old friends.

Wise salt: follows technology, experienced with many types of ROV, top pilot, experienced with all aspects of ROV ops, can sweep the deck or run a job, good with the team and good with the system, open to change.

Gob shite: done everything, been everywhere, seen it all – in reality is a waste of space offshore and knows nothing – but still gets the same day rate as most 😆

Young buck: good tech but lacks system variety and operational experience. Thinks they’re great but no-one else does. Put in positions above their station by company with manpower shortages. Get on fine in one aspect of operations but no clue about anything else. Puts people to sleep with their ‘dits’ on their ‘years’ offshore.

Unassuming: quiet, responsive, receptive, suggestive, able, good tech, good pilot, knowledge of some ops, good tech, comfortable in his position.

Anymore?

Which on are you?

😉

David Stevens
    Participant

ROV Types:

Old salt: back turned on technology, created a niche for themselves, do very little, not interested in change, responsible for paperwork and carried by the team. Revered by the office – usually people of similar ilk or old friends.

Wise salt: follows technology, experienced with many types of ROV, top pilot, experienced with all aspects of ROV ops, can sweep the deck or run a job, good with the team and good with the system, open to change.

Gob shite: done everything, been everywhere, seen it all – in reality is a waste of space offshore and knows nothing – but still gets the same day rate as most Laughing

Young buck: good tech but lacks system variety and operational experience. Thinks they’re great but no-one else does. Put in positions above their station by company with manpower shortages. Get on fine in one aspect of operations but no clue about anything else. Puts people to sleep with their ‘dits’ on their ‘years’ offshore.

Unassuming: quiet, responsive, receptive, suggestive, able, good tech, good pilot, knowledge of some ops, good tech, comfortable in his position.

Anymore?

Which on are you?

That all sounds about right. Except that a "young buck" doesn’t have to be a one note joke. There are "young" guys out there that keep their noses in the manuals and learn. The guys that attend the training classes and get something out of it other than liver damage because they went out and got smashed every night at the hotel bar. Guys who have the drive and the ability to learn.

I think that it’s presumptuous to assume that because a guy hasn’t been in the industry for countless years, he is a liability. Remember that you all started out somewhere and you had to prove yourself everyday. Just because you have decades of experience does not automatically make you the authority on the matter. It’s not just you experience, but what you have taken away for them. Sure, we f♦♠k up, we all have. But do you learn from that and know how to keep it from happening again? This is what our abilities should be judged on.

Also, all of this rhetorical about Americans not being worth a ♠hit is nonsense. If we’re such a bunch of idiots, then how is it that we somehow manage to get the job done everyday in the GoM and around the world? Luck only lasts so long. All you UK windbags talk about this work like your saving the Queen day in and day out. Who are you kidding? In the States we are a little more grounded in our perception of what we do. It’s just a job. Sure, it’s a cool job that everyone else is amazed by. But at the end of the day, we all just another cog on the wheel, keeping things turning. Regardless of what flag we fly.

David Stevens
    Participant

Wrong. It couldn’t speak and the screen was the TV set you had to connect it to for a display. It was a real computer otherwise with more computing power than the Lunar Module that landed the astronauts on the moon in the pre digital age. You probably won’t find much on google about it as it is pre internet age.

I was wrong. I meant a Speak & Spell is what that thing looks like. I also found this picture of it being used to wedge a door open.

Anonymous

From the options, I actually think this one sounds the best… Unless your a true ROV ‘spotter’ or still enjoy the maintenace/fault finding after 10 years plus. Most senior ROV folk I know are looking to move upto the Bridge (construction boats) and get away from ROV’s as soon as they can.

I wonder if you’ll still see the hands-on ROV guys in their 60’s like I’ve seen in the past. I hope not to be honest.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

If we’re such a bunch of idiots, then how is it that we somehow manage to get the job done everyday in the GoM and around the world?

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 I fear you have not been on enough jobs to make that quote 😆

Ray Shields
    Participant

No more UK VS USA slagging off.

Stick to topic.

Any more USA/UK/any other country bashing, messages will be deleted and thread locked.

Ta.

liddelljohn
    Participant

I am a middle aged old git but only 5 years in ROV but 20 years in telecomms and 10 years in Electromechanics before that, so am I stale or fresh?, if you change careers several times and retrain it means you have to be flexible and remain in contact with latest technology. In telecomms the lifespan of a technology was 5 years so I retrained 4 times to stay in the game.

ROV is an industry with some cutting edge technology and a lot of patched up crummy old gear mixed in as well, its the knowledge of the oldtimers that keeps the crap running. Cant see that changing soon…do you? And if they can keep the old gear running the new Video games console ROVs should be a doddle.

David Stevens
    Participant

I fear you have not been on enough jobs to make that quote Laughing

It is your baseless assumptions that was the impetus for my comment that started all this.

iROV
    Participant

Apparently one can make it in this industry being a supervisor with a bit of bluff a populists view and some window dressing!

luckyjim37
    Participant

All you UK windbags talk about this work like your saving the Queen day in and day out. Who are you kidding? In the States we are a little more grounded in our perception of what we do

To be honest I find this remark a little insulting. There are a lot of ex-forces guys in this industry who have stood on the wall for Queen and country and believe me this industry is about money not national loyalty.

You have made some good points on some of your other remarks but Her Royal Highness is off limits from a country where the majority of the population do not admit to coming from there I.e. Irish American, African American, Itallian American. You can start pointing fingers at us when you lot finally stand up and say we are one country and one people till then try and stick to something you know about which apparently is being a good ROV guy.

David Stevens
    Participant

To be honest I find this remark a little insulting. There are a lot of ex-forces guys in this industry who have stood on the wall for Queen and country and believe me this industry is about money not national loyalty.

I meant no disrespect to any veteran by my comment. I humbly tip my hat to any one that has served their country, regardless of the flag they wore on their arm.

I apologize for any perceived disrespect to veterans, as that was never my intention.

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

You have made some good points on some of your other remarks but Her Royal Highness is off limits from a country where the majority of the population do not admit to coming from there I.e. Irish American, African American, Itallian American. You can start pointing fingers at us when you lot finally stand up and say we are one country and one people till then try and stick to something you know about which apparently is being a good ROV guy.

Jim,

We are one country and one people. We are Americans. You see, there can be no 50/50 Americanisms (Irish-Americain etc…), your an American or your not, it’s that simple.

Chief

DJansen
    Participant

Launchbox

Also, all of this rhetorical about Americans not being worth a ♠hit is nonsense. If we’re such a bunch of idiots, then how is it that we somehow manage to get the job done everyday in the GoM and around the world?
    In the States we are a little more grounded in our perception of what we do.

I’m guessing this fella has never seen all the yahoos on the ‘Oil Sweat and Rigs’ TV show….

Despite knowing a couple of guys from the States who I consider to be excellent ROV guys and a bunch of great barge foremen/anchor guys.
    I’d have to say that from considerable experience with other Americans offshore I’d have to say they are more often than not a hinderance.. Not necessarily because they weren’t technical or motivated but because they were unable to fit in and work as part of a multi-national team.. Maybe they are fine when they work with other Seppos ? But all I can say is the ones I have worked with seemed to meet every suggestion/order/request with a question or wanted to discuss it to a fine detail.. 🙄

Whilst I’m alway open to suggestions and new ideas I don’t think too much democracy is needed offshore.. .. Simple instructions like fold the sheet of paper in half should not be met with responses of… Gee do you want me to fold it from the bottom to the top.. or the top to the bottom ?

Sorry but I’d rather work with Jocks, Aussies, Kiwis or even a Yarpie ..

As for blokes who have made Supv in three years… and have only worked with one or two subs on similar workscopes.. The company deserves all the trouble it’s asking for.. Yes there are excellent trainees and new guys out there.. But I find it hard to believe anyone can amass enough knowledge in 18 Months ( 4/4 rotation) to be put in charge.. Free flyer, TMS, Shallow water, deep water, weather, currents, DP vessel, barge, live boating, Jack-up, semi-sub, manips, tooling, TSS’s, pipelay, drill support, intervention, survey and a hundred other circumstances… If you have done all of these THEN you are a Supv… If not well 😆

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Launchbox

Also, all of this rhetorical about Americans not being worth a ♠hit is nonsense. If we’re such a bunch of idiots, then how is it that we somehow manage to get the job done everyday in the GoM and around the world?
    In the States we are a little more grounded in our perception of what we do.

I’m guessing this fella has never seen all the yahoos on the ‘Oil Sweat and Rigs’ TV show….

Despite knowing a couple of guys from the States who I consider to be excellent ROV guys and a bunch of great barge foremen/anchor guys.
    I’d have to say that from considerable experience with other Americans offshore I’d have to say they are more often than not a hinderance.. Not necessarily because they weren’t technical or motivated but because they were unable to fit in and work as part of a multi-national team.. Maybe they are fine when they work with other Seppos ? But all I can say is the ones I have worked with seemed to meet every suggestion/order/request with a question or wanted to discuss it to a fine detail.. 🙄

Whilst I’m alway open to suggestions and new ideas I don’t think too much democracy is needed offshore.. .. Simple instructions like fold the sheet of paper in half should not be met with responses of… Gee do you want me to fold it from the bottom to the top.. or the top to the bottom ?

Sorry but I’d rather work with Jocks, Aussies, Kiwis or even a Yarpie ..

As for blokes who have made Supv in three years… and have only worked with one or two subs on similar workscopes.. The company deserves all the trouble it’s asking for.. Yes there are excellent trainees and new guys out there.. But I find it hard to believe anyone can amass enough knowledge in 18 Months ( 4/4 rotation) to be put in charge.. Free flyer, TMS, Shallow water, deep water, weather, currents, DP vessel, barge, live boating, Jack-up, semi-sub, manips, tooling, TSS’s, pipelay, drill support, intervention, survey and a hundred other circumstances… If you have done all of these THEN you are a Supv… If not well 😆

Blimey!

Well presented.

Common dog prevails!! :tup:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • The topic ‘Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar