Home Forums General General Board Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !

Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !

Home Forums General General Board Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Andy Shiers
    Participant

So bringing this thread back to the orriginal topic that Mr Young Lunch snack 😀 spouted off 😀 And being in the position that I am now Plus the experience that I have ( plus the 5 year apprenticeship I received from what you equate to grandfathers in this Yuletide 😯 )
    You or anyone else no matter what age will be an in-experienced trainee pilot at least until after three years 🙂
    This means ( unless you have no life at all that is ! ) 18 months of pure full on nitro injected no stopping work 😯 ……………………….
    And I do not think you have received that amount of mind boggling experience 8)
    Old men ……………… No 🙂
    Older than YOU ……………………………… Yes 😀 With experience
    There endeth the lesson 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Lunch,

I actually have to agree with Djansen here and I"M AMERICAN (Northern (real) Yanqui) I’ve runoff 4 guys in 30 years – 2 of which were Americans. NRB’d 6 or so, once again 2 were Americans.

I had made supv. in 4 years (1984) due to the fact that there weren’t many guys in the industry back then. And I thought I was too inexperienced for the slot. Nevertheless, the company put me there and I believe, that is where my first grey hair came from. Looking back, I remember the client wasn’t very happy either.

Get over it and LISTEN instead of spouting off at every opportunity. One learns EVERY SINGLE DAY OF ONE’S LIFE and improves every day as well. Get over it…

David Stevens
    Participant

I actually have to agree with Djansen here and I"M AMERICAN (Northern (real) Yanqui) I’ve runoff 4 guys in 30 years – 2 of which were Americans. NRB’d 6 or so, once again 2 were Americans.

I had made supv. in 4 years (1984) due to the fact that there weren’t many guys in the industry back then. And I thought I was too inexperienced for the slot. Nevertheless, the company put me there and I believe, that is where my first grey hair came from. Looking back, I remember the client wasn’t very happy either.

Get over it and LISTEN instead of spouting off at every opportunity. One learns EVERY SINGLE DAY OF ONE’S LIFE and improves every day as well. Get over it…

I agree wholeheartedly with you here. I didn’t think I was ready when I got thrown into the position, but in the end I believe that I am holding my own. Unfortunately I just can’t help myself when it comes to spouting off in the face of people making judgments without all the fact. Or when they can’t admit that maybe, just maybe, the other guy might have a small point. Plus I find that a little antagonism stimulates the conversation better than when we all just pat each other on the back all the time. If we all agreed on everything, half of us would be useless.

As for the bit about Americans. Well I have to concede that a lot of what everyone has said on this thread has a lot of truth to it. It is unfortunate that most of the American representatives that the rest of the world meets in the ROV industry and especially Oil and Gas as a whole are almost always from the south and are a breed unto their own. It is from the south where this idea of the loud mouthed, xenophobic, pompous blowhard American comes from. I have to deal with that every day where I’m at how. Plus I have to deal with all the shite from the rednecks because I’m a "Yankee" that has a life outside hunting, Nascar and country music. Hell, I’ve had people think I’m Canadian because I don’t have an accent. So whle I do have pride in my country, I am ashamed by many of my countrymen. I just want to make it clear that that most of the Americans you guys meet offshore only represent maybe 6 of the 50 states in the Union. There is a lot more going on in the US than what you see in movies.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Lunch,

Yep, re: Yanqui bias…. "WHAAAARRR Ewe frohm Buoy???? I’m going to meditate now… g’nite.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

As for the bit about Americans. Well I have to concede that a lot of what everyone has said on this thread has a lot of truth to it. It is unfortunate that most of the American representatives that the rest of the world meets in the ROV industry and especially Oil and Gas as a whole are almost always from the south and are a breed unto their own. It is from the south where this idea of the loud mouthed, xenophobic, pompous blowhard American comes from. I have to deal with that every day where I’m at how. Plus I have to deal with all the shite from the rednecks because I’m a "Yankee" that has a life outside hunting, Nascar and country music. Hell, I’ve had people think I’m Canadian because I don’t have an accent. So whle I do have pride in my country, I am ashamed by many of my countrymen. I just want to make it clear that that most of the Americans you guys meet offshore only represent maybe 6 of the 50 states in the Union. There is a lot more going on in the US than what you see in movies.

Thanks for offering a more balanced view of your countrymen. :tup:

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Yeah 🙂
    Thanks for acknowledging it 😀

De-mob
    Participant

Never before have i seen so much sh-te, written by so few, and read by so many….other than in the SUN.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I hate the Sun , Mirror , News of the world 😯
    They are for little minds , no taste and sluts 👿
    It’s nice to see that even a "Sun reader" looks at this website and is willing to add his comments 😀
    I was hoping for a better argument than the one liner 😕
    But I suppose that is to be expected 8)

De-mob
    Participant

Come on guys, we all know that their is a lot of sh-te in the industry masquerading around as rov techs, pilots or what ever else they sell them selves as, and a hell of a lot are Brits. So why waste your time disscussing who’s better than who with this geographic and age crap. I have met some brilliant rov guys who have only 4-5 years in the industry and some dros. Likewise i have met some excellent guys that are more mature in age, but again plenty of dros.
    Why is the dros in the industry? It’s because of the ….oh he’s a great guy to work with mentality… we get on realy well on shift….he’s a laugh…he can come back anytime. The cliques, the old boy network…do i need to go on.

Stop waisting your time spouting on a forum and do something constructive. Let your balls drop and start running these guys off and give a realistic report to the agency or employer. Otherwise things will never start to change in this industry and you’ll all still be spouting the same sh-te in years to come.

As far as reading the sun goes…yes i do read it, but don’t buy it, and anyone who works offshore who says he doesn’t talks sh-te. We all want to read anything we can get our hands on when out in remote areas and do.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I can’t believe we are drifting off topic to discuss the Sun! 😉
    There must be more interesting topics to waste our time on 😉

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Well here , Its bloody freezing 😯
    No Sun in sight 🙂
    Just virgin snow 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

De-mobe,

Do you believe yourself when: a.) you make broad-sweeping-generalized statements about the majority of of ROV personnel offshore b.) that ALL people read that rag the Sun c.) I believe you haven’t been out of the UK yet.????

Original topic: will everyone get over it and get the friggin’ job done – period.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Many years later, after having run across (and in a few cases worked under) some of my ex grads I believe there is no hard and fast rule about who will be successful in this business. The typical successful ROV guy has skills way beyond demonstrated technical knowledge.

The grasp of the thread , Mr Tortoise 😀
    Is a retort to someone with less than a years experience ……………
    Possibly from a ‘training centre’ first and discounting that the said young man was American , Only that he was in-experienced 😯
    As in any Industry whether it is ROV , Oil and Gas or Engineering and the car industry 8)
    It would be interested to see a thread by you and see how much attention it gets if it reads ‘Trainees from a training centre make for better pilot/techs’ 😀
    Of course 8) The thread title in itself is biased and not true and we differ in acknowleding this particular statement . You on one hand had a invested interest in it and made money off the backs of others where as I received said super qualified "Pilot/techs" with the wrong attitude and not very helpful to the team when the said team is small and cannot carry anyone 😕
    The thread was a retort to someones statement and appears to be very successful in getting website punters attention plus interesting reading. 😀
    Need I say more 😆

Ray Shields
    Participant

Tis the season for goodwill to all men, and as it appears to be in short supply, I think we should save what we have for other threads, I think this one appears to have run out.

Merry Christmas – one and all!

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • The topic ‘Old Timers to Greenhorns Ref LunchboxROV Different thread !’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar