Home Forums General General Board Opinions on Nigera

Opinions on Nigera

Home Forums General General Board Opinions on Nigera

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    JellyFish
    Participant

Hi Guys, for those of you been to work in nigera, I know it isn’t first choice, but what do you think about the odd freelance job there, general opinons?? and what rate would you go for, heard of any rates????

deepseacon
    Participant

This is info is on the Foreign and commononwealth Office site

Active as of today 20th last updated 19th Sept 2007

We advise against all travel to the Niger Delta (Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers States, including Port Harcourt) and advise British nationals in these States to leave. We also advise against all travel to riverine areas of Cross River State (i.e. river and swamp locations on or close to the coast accessible by boat but not by road). This is because of the very high risk of kidnapping, armed robbery and other armed attacks in these areas. We advise against all but essential travel to Akwa Ibom State because of the high risk of kidnapping, armed robbery and other armed attacks.

Since January 2006, 34 British nationals (including one child) and more than 180 other foreign nationals have been kidnapped in the Niger Delta area and one Briton has been killed. On 10 August a British national was abducted from his car when driving to work in Port Harcourt. See the Terrorism/Security section of this travel advice for more details.

If, contrary to this travel advice, you decide to travel to or remain in the areas identified above, you do so at your own risk and should take professional security advice. The level of consular assistance we can provide is limited. You should maintain a high level of vigilance at all times, observe the strictest security measures and not travel unnecessarily. If travelling by road you should use fully protected transport.

Following a sustained period of gang related violence in Port Harcourt, on 17 August the Nigerian authorities imposed a dusk till dawn curfew (1800-0600) on the city which remains in place. (Note: Due to regular increases in the level of violence in Port Harcourt, the High Commission Liaison Office, British Council and VFS Office are subject to closure at short notice. Closure and reopening of the offices will be reflected in this travel advice).

The high risk of kidnappings and other armed attacks in the Niger Delta applies also to ships and oil rigs at sea off the coast of the Delta. In 2007 there has been an increase in attacks offshore.

There is also a risk of kidnapping in other States in south-east Nigeria. On 17 March 2007, two Chinese nationals were abducted at Nnewi, Anambra State.

Localised outbreaks of civil unrest can occur at short notice. Details and advice are circulated via the British High Commission’s Community Liaison Officers’ network.

The most common incidents for which British nationals required consular assistance in Nigeria in 2006 were attempts by scam artists to extract money. Violent crime is prevalent in the south of the country, including Lagos. See the Crime section of this travel advice for more details.

There is a general threat from terrorism in Nigeria. There is reporting that terrorists may be planning attacks, which could be indiscriminate, including places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers such as Western official and commercial interests. The Nigerian authorities have declared that they are prepared to counter any terrorist threat and have reviewed security arrangements at Embassies and High Commissions in Abuja and Lagos. If you are travelling to Nigeria you are reminded to carefully consider your own security arrangements, to remain vigilant and to regularly review your travel plans throughout your visit.

http://www.fco.gov.uk

Some companies like OI pay 50GBP extra per day some agency
    pay 10%+ but varies some also put curfew on there staff.

I have worked there more than once and would go again.

Savante
    Participant

confirm – you’d go again?

Frankly, it sounds like an experience to try once at least, but don’t most ROV operators out in the Niger delta operate out of nearby countries instead?

I don’t think much of the 50 quid incentive as the place sounds worse than Basra.

I had a conversation with one guy who used to work in Nigeria – his comments were very illuminating; what do you do about personal security – on land and offshore?

deepseacon
    Participant

Yes 100% i would go again why not some places are just so boring atleast there is something going on there.

A few years ago i understand some service hand companies where paying 40% on top for salary guys operating out of Nigeria and they
    paid 50% for Angola.

Not sure all the rates there today but there are many Vessels
    heading that way NIGERIA !!!!!!

Savante
    Participant

Yeh, lots of ships going out there soon according to recent contract announcements, but I don’t think they’re operating out of Harcourt (or even Lagos) are they?

melvodon
    Participant

So basicly its just like ABZ on a saturday night,i’ve been to Luanda ,Port Of Gentil and saw no trouble what so ever and as they say once you are offshore you could be anywere in the world ,i would go to Nigeria no probs ,its just when you hear of guys traveling there on there jack jones thats when problems can arise ,the first time you go these places its always a learning curve ,so the next time you go you are more switched on to go about things …… unless you get kiddnaped ! but even then i am told you still get your day rate 😆 😀 lol

Anonymous

Why go there????

rovnumpty
    Participant

don’t go. Full stop.

Spent two years working out of there. Not nice. Life is cheap. They would shoot you on the spot if they thought they could get away with it. Your the white face taking their work.

If everyone kept refusing to go, the companies would take the hint and stop bidding for work there. Problem is, there’s allways someone willing to go ‘to give it a try’.

Maurice Onuoha
    Participant

All that you hear about Nigeria is exgerated, I don’t agree with rovnumpty that life is cheap. OI has about 18 rigs that are crewed with almost two shifts, Sonsub has almost as many and Subsea7 and other expert companpies are working off PH and Lagos.
    So Dry ure Eyes because nigeria is a great place to work.i have been working here for 3years,and i have had no problems at all,with anyone.
    stick to the curfew and everything will be fine.
    plus the weather is good,and extra money.
    8) 😛

Flybywire
    Participant

Having read all the posts on this topic, it seems like Nigeria is a pretty ‘interesting’ place to work. I worked in the Middle East for 5 years (against the advice of my Government) and came close to a few incidents, but luckily was in the right place at the right time! Looking back, I think I was a bit of a mercenary (cos I got paid heaps tax free etc), but really wouldn’t put my family through that uncertanty again…If you are chasing adventure and extra cash, go for it – at least you’ll have some war stories to tell your grandkids one day 😯

Benny Edelman
    Participant

I have limited Nigeria experience.
    Main problems-lack of supplies to the vessel, crew change in unsuitable boats, theft on board, people I know were on boats that were boarded by robbers, very corrupt officials who require small bribes all the time.

cleeamollette
    Participant

i work there for one year ….. the rig was 200 kms from the shore so no big danger while on board. otherwise you just cross the country, stay in the hotel so not many risk. and once you’re offshore, it is just same as anywhere else. not much problems with the locals on board.

Cabledog
    Participant

See news article on the right of the home page. Your call.

Be safe
    Dog

deepseacon
    Participant
    Donnie Cameron
    Participant

I’ve worked in most of the places in West Africa over the years including six months mostly onshore in Nigeria. It’s not my favourite country by anymeans but apart from contracting malaria never really had a problem. That was a good twenty years ago though and I’m afraid we live in a far more dangerous world nowadays.
    The problem is with Africa is that when it goes pear shaped it can happen very suddenly and very violently. Those of us who were born in the sixties remember the Biafran war and these are the the same tribal conflicts going on today. I was told back in the day by Nigerians that the fight wasn’t finished. Having lived in East Africa for over ten years I’ve seen the deep rooted hatred in tribal conflict (a bit like rangers and celtic really 😆 ) and it isn’t going to get any better anytime soon.
    I don’t think I’ll be visiting the niger delta for while I’m enjoying life far to much.
    Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar