Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Polarising filter

Polarising filter

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Polarising filter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    timebandit
    Participant

Somebody just asked me if a polarising filter on a camera would help to stop light backscatter ?

Any ideas

Anonymous

DIM the lights 😕

James McLauchlan
    Participant

To help prevent backscatter try not to use lights near (next to) the camera in use.

Often P&T’s have a camera and a light mounted on the same P&T unit. Turn the P&T light off and use frame lights mounted further away from the camera. Also, as the last poster said.. "dim the lights"as much as possible too.

timebandit
    Participant

Thanks for that , but that does not answer the question.

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

TimeBandit,

It may reduce some of the intensity or "brightness" of the back scatter, but no it will not eliminate it. One thing tha might help (after dimming the lights a little) is to set the white balance on your camera (presuming you have that opiton). Though this won’t remove all of the backscattering, it reduces the glare greatly caused by it, making it much easier to pick out objects and see them.

Chief

timebandit
    Participant

Thanks Chief.
    Have you actually tried it ?
    I see you have access to an eyeball, I think it maybe worth trying a circular polariser to see if there is any improvement .

I do understand that the dimming and position of lights are important however I have never been asked if a polariser will help and quite frankly I do not know the answer or if it has ever been tried.

Ray Shields
    Participant

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=5233

has an interesting article for a computer algorithm for cleaning up underwater video

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=5233

has an interesting article for a computer algorithm for cleaning up underwater video

That looks like a complete rip off of LYYN’s Video Enhancement Technology…

Chief

John
    Participant

First, that article is 6 years old and LYYN hit the subsea industry a bit over 4 years ago. Second, LYYN did not invent video enhancement. There are actually quite a few different video enhancement options out there if you take the time to look.

Don’t get me wrong. The LYYN system works very well in certain conditions and is nicely packaged but stating "complete rip off" is incorrect.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar