Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Poll results – no job – almost doubled in 2 yrs!

Poll results – no job – almost doubled in 2 yrs!

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Poll results – no job – almost doubled in 2 yrs!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

I knew we run these polls for a reason.

How many days did you work offshore in 2011?
    0 days (I couldn’t get an offshore job!) 20.36% (68)
    1-49 days 4.49% (15)
    50-99 days 9.58% (32)
    100-149 days 9.88% (33)
    150-174 days 12.57% (42)
    175-199 days 23.95% (80)
    200-224 days 15.87% (53)
    225 + (I need to get a life!) 3.29% (11)

0 days (I couldn’t get an offshore job!) 15.41% (55)
    1-49 days 5.04% (18)
    50-99 days 7.84% (28)
    100-149 days 16.53% (59)
    150-174 days 15.97% (57)
    175-199 days 21.01% (75)
    200-224 days 13.73% (49)
    225 + 4.48% (16)

0 days (I couldn’t get an offshore job!) 11.68% (48)
    1-49 days 6.08% (25)
    50-99 days 8.03% (33)
    100-149 days 16.06% (66)
    150-174 days 15.09% (62)
    175-199 days 23.11% (95)
    200-224 days 9.98% (41)
    225 + 9.98% (41)

Look at those that couldn’t get a job. Anyone see the trend?

2009: 11.68%
    2010: 15:41%
    2011: 20:36%

Those that couldn’t get a job almost doubled in 2 years 😯
    That smacks of the market being flooded with too many people living on false hope!

The results seem to indicated (to me at least) that that the ROV market, as busy as it is right now, is flooded at trainee level and it’s getting worse.
    Looks to me like a lot of people are probably laying down heard earned cash at training schools never to get work offshore after their course.

Maybe there is another trend that I’ve missed, but that one stood out like a sore thumb!

John Bridgett
    Participant

I knew we run these polls for a reason.

How many days did you work offshore in 2011?
    0 days (I couldn’t get an offshore job!) 20.36% (68)
    1-49 days 4.49% (15)
    50-99 days 9.58% (32)
    100-149 days 9.88% (33)
    150-174 days 12.57% (42)
    175-199 days 23.95% (80)
    200-224 days 15.87% (53)
    225 + (I need to get a life!) 3.29% (11)

0 days (I couldn’t get an offshore job!) 15.41% (55)
    1-49 days 5.04% (18)
    50-99 days 7.84% (28)
    100-149 days 16.53% (59)
    150-174 days 15.97% (57)
    175-199 days 21.01% (75)
    200-224 days 13.73% (49)
    225 + 4.48% (16)

0 days (I couldn’t get an offshore job!) 11.68% (48)
    1-49 days 6.08% (25)
    50-99 days 8.03% (33)
    100-149 days 16.06% (66)
    150-174 days 15.09% (62)
    175-199 days 23.11% (95)
    200-224 days 9.98% (41)
    225 + 9.98% (41)

Look at those that couldn’t get a job. Anyone see the trend?

2009: 11.68%
    2010: 15:41%
    2011: 20:36%

That smacks of the market being flooded with too many people living on false hope!

The results seem to indicated (to me at least) that that the ROV market, as busy as it is right now, is flooded at trainee level and it’s getting worse.
    Looks to me like a lot of people are probably laying down heard earned cash at training schools never to get work offshore after their course.

Maybe there is another trend that I’ve missed, but that one stood out like a sore thumb!

I would suggest it is a relatively small sample of the ROV industry and therefore not completely representative, I would guess there is an unbalanced sample on here of trainees ‘v’ experienced techs.

It seems a common theme on here about trainee’s and training establishments that theyre not a good combination and mislead people. I can only speak from experience here.

I was one of those would be potential ROV pilot / techs and looked into the training establishments. I went for an experience day at Fort William and had the pre conceived idea that they would sell the course to everyone there. I had already spoken at length to Paul Bury at The Underwater Centre about my concerns and he assured me that in his opinion I would find work. On the experience day, Paul gave a presentation about the industry and then had a discussion with all of us about our CV’s. Of the 7 people in attendance he told 3 of them to gain further qualifications and experience before taking an ROV course, the rest of us were deemed suitable candidates. My main concern was my age (57) although my experience was extensive and fitting for ROV work.

I did the 3 week course and gained valuable experience, I had one job offer whilst on the course, another at the end of the course to start in January 2013, I have been to Dubai for an interview and was oferred a job there and also another job offer which I have accepted from an Aberdeen based company which I start later this month.

This is a complete contrast to my experience from being made redundant 2 years ago, jobs I applied for and well qualified for I didn’t even get an interview. I do think the message from this board (if I have interpreted it correctly) is true, if you don’t have experience and qualifications in a relative field then training centres are not the answer. IF however you have a relevant trade – Electronics / Mechanics / Hydraulics then training centres may give you an edge on the job apps.

It would seem to me that there should be a recognised apprenticeship scheme and an internationally recognised qualificatiopn in ROV operation, they manage it with Aviation why not in this field?

IS

liddelljohn
    Participant

The Underwater centre does seem to have a responsible policy on training and credibility in the industry some of the big ROV companies use the facility , however other training providers are cowboys , I have met several trainees from underwater centre course and they will do well in future , but have also met people who have wasted large sums of money from certain other establishments with no hope of progress in this indsustry .

Stephen Black
    Participant

The survey is not well setup

I did not work last year put I was not looking for work. the only place to tick was 0 days I could not get a job. But I was not looking for work

This means the results are a bit off the mark

paul norman
    Participant

Theres one thing missing from the poll,
    Theres no option for the people looking for work after completing a course with no other experience.
    As a noob trying to find work (for 2 years) my option would have to be 0 days, but I’m not actually in the industry yet. So results can be biased towards 0 days as a result.
    I’ve now found a job with SS7, so my vote would now be valid.

Paul

Anonymous

Beeman, I do not know whether that was a joke or not, I hope it was for your sake, but you will find that the POLL APPLIES TO PEOPLE LOOKING FOR WORK.

Trainees, similarity betwwen ROV now and Diving in the late 80’s and 90’s is the same.
    The market became flooded with trainee divers and for some they got civils work and then packed up when they could not get offshore, they were competing with a large pool of experienced divers.
    If you can base yourself in Aberdeen to get a start, that will give you more of a chance and go and knock on doors.

longinthe tooth

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Theres one thing missing from the poll,
    Theres no option for the people looking for work after completing a course with no other experience.
    As a noob trying to find work (for 2 years) my option would have to be 0 days, but I’m not actually in the industry yet. So results can be biased towards 0 days as a result.

Paul

But if you have done the course and you are looking for work as an ROV tech/trainee then surely option one does apply.

Option one was added for those trying to get work but with with no success. It was not purely experienced based, but one would assume that anyone with experience wouldn’t fail to get any days at all in a year! If so they need to have a rethink in career choice!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I would suggest it is a relatively small sample of the ROV industry and therefore not completely representative, I would guess there is an unbalanced sample on here of trainees ‘v’ experienced techs.

I agree that it’s a relatively small sample but consider the following:

• The website has changed little in the three years covered in my post
    • The website target audience remains the same
    • The poll questions are the same for each year
    • The poll coverage period (1 year per poll) remains the same

Given that nothing has changed, by way of poll questions or site audience, except the results then on would assume that the balance has indeed shifted.

If you consider only the percentile results then there is a definite change. Small or large samples have little to do with it.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The survey is not well setup

I did not work last year put I was not looking for work. the only place to tick was 0 days I could not get a job. But I was not looking for work

This means the results are a bit off the mark

Eh? 🙄 ❓ ❓

Whats the point in us adding a poll, by way of trying to gauge who got work, when someone like yourself pops up and pretty much says I wasn’t looking for work, so the survey is not set up very well!!

If you weren’t looking for work, there is no place to ‘tick’ as you put it!

John Bridgett
    Participant

I agree that it’s a relatively small sample but consider the following:

• The website has changed little in the three years covered in my post
    • The website target audience remains the same
    • The poll questions are the same for each year
    • The poll coverage period (1 year per poll) remains the same

Given that nothing has changed, by way of poll questions or site audience, except the results then on would assume that the balance has indeed shifted.

If you consider only the percentile results then there is a definite change. Small or large samples have little to do with it.

Yes agreed in hindsight.

J

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar