Home Forums General General Board Quiet time or not quiet times..

Quiet time or not quiet times..

Home Forums General General Board Quiet time or not quiet times..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Robert Branch
    Participant

Is anyone finding the ROV industry a tiny bit dead in these oh so terrible financial disaster times..What is the work situation like in the North Sea,and SE Asia at the moment…Is there any work at all…Speaking from Australia it does seem a little bit dead out there at the moment..Just wondered how the rest of the ROV world was fareing at the moment….
    I know Canyon in Singapore were predicting a very quiet 2010…

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Is anyone finding the ROV industry a tiny bit dead in these oh so terrible financial disaster times..What is the work situation like in the North Sea,and SE Asia at the moment…Is there any work at all…Speaking from Australia it does seem a little bit dead out there at the moment..Just wondered how the rest of the ROV world was fareing at the moment….
    I know Canyon in Singapore were predicting a very quiet 2010…

It’s just ticking over to live at the mo’ but there are the whisps of rumors the work is coming up – keep the dayrates where they are or higher gents – DON’T DROP THEM!!!!!

HelpMaBoab
    Participant

Things are indeed quiet.
    In Aberdeen there are around 30+ workclass sitting around and goodness knows how many eyeballs are kicking about.

We are seeing a severe drop in tenders coming in which is a obviously a good indication of the scale of upcoming work.

This is not a good time to be freelance as the majority of company men will obviously need to get their utilisation used up before the agencies are called up to help them out.

Batten the hatches down, tough times ahead. 😯

iROV
    Participant

Australian oil production in 2009 falls to lowest level in 40 years: major industry report

5th March 2010

Australian production of crude oil during 2009 dropped to its lowest level in four decades, according to a leading industry report card released today.

The report – by energy economics group, EnergyQuest – shows that oil production throughout the country fell 17% last year from 120.6 million barrels to 99.5 million barrels.

This is the lowest level since 1970.

The slump in oil production reflects the maturity of Australia’s major producing oil fields, together with disruptions due to maintenance and weather.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

iROV,

Hence, my hunch that we’ll see the price/bbl touch 100 around Sept. time…. I was right about the 75 – 80 USD price range prediction I made last year…. And no, I don’t mess with oil futures anymore….

Robert Branch
    Participant

One would certainly hope that the massive Gorgon project due to start in WA in the near future,would have all the Australian based ROV companies busier than ever,with not enough vessels,ROV,s,or personell to cope with the workload….Who knows the agencies may even have to bump their pitifull rates up…and pay in Ozzie Roubles..

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Surf,

The Aussie companies are doing okay, they SEEM to be ticking over and SOUND like they’re making a profit. Along with the other folks that dig into your pockets there (Ie: govt., etc.)

Robert Branch
    Participant

Oh come on scott the theiving bastards only take 40% from your dayrate..
    It would surely be nice to get some of that back in handouts when work is slow..but then thats what the cash in hand jobs in asia are for…

Sit Rep
    Participant

Hey iROV, Who gives a fat flying fcuk about oil? Yes I know it’s there but in an Australian context the thing driving Gorgon/Pluto etc is gas export contracts

WA is ALL about gas… the oil probably covers the gas production costs++ and the rest is jam.

FA oil in WA, relatively speaking, although the eastern states media may be influenced by the dwindling Bass Strait "oilfields".

And if you’re working here at the moment you are busy!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Oh come on scott the theiving bastards only take 40% from your dayrate..
    It would surely be nice to get some of that back in handouts when work is slow..but then thats what the cash in hand jobs in asia are for…

Not my dayrate dude… The only people dipping into my dayrate are the companies I work for… Remember, I can’t (really) work in Aus – tho’ I have.

ROVSKI
    Participant

Quiet times are for enjoying. I am taking a year off. Please dont f##k the day rates whilst I’m gone.

Robert Branch
    Participant

ROVSKI are you taking a year off because the work climate is quiet or what?..Ive been off work for about 3 months now because its quiet here in Oz and I wont work for the agencies for any less than what i was earning here in Oz,no matter what..

ROVSKI
    Participant

Surf 91, After reading all the comments about people working for less happily, I don’t want to play the race to the bottom game. I worked for NMS last year and they were good payers but are now using cheaper STS staff for the small number of jobs they get. With the English pound going down the toilet there are not to many options to earn a living except in Oz. I work for money not for the experience. When the pay is good, I rack up the days and when its not, I enjoy the fruits of my labours .

I have been off since October last year and have not heard of any well paid gigs, so decided a few days ago to take a year off for my mental health. Its a pain ringing up for jobs (not that Ive tried yet) that may or my not happen, you spend your time on unpaid stand by. Never fully using your free time as you fuss about trying to get the scraps from the table. With the number of scabs about I just don’t want to play the game anymore.

Keep up the fight against those who undermine the living standards we used to enjoy before we trained up a glut of new ROV people.

PS. Don’t take life too seriously it isn’t permanent.

PPS. I don’t have tickets on myself and realize that the industry wont miss my presence, but my family would miss me if I went to work for chump change and didn’t earn enough to make a significant difference to our future prosperity.

Robert Branch
    Participant

Good post ROVSKI..thanks…Are you based in the land down under?.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

ROVSKI,

That’s the spirit… Wish we had a few more thousand with the same frame of mind as yourself (and yours truly)…. There have been only a few real paying jobs (in the world) since you’ve been out of work….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar