Home Forums General General Board Quiet time or not quiet times..

Quiet time or not quiet times..

Home Forums General General Board Quiet time or not quiet times..

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

Excellent post by ROVSKI. He puts the whole reason for working in this game into it’s true perspective and at the same time hammers home the point that going out cheap is helping nobody in the longer term. Couldn’t agree more :tup:

Robert Branch
    Participant

Yes James that is very true,but how long is this situation going to go on?.Will it ever get any better…There is only so long I can sit at home out of work and I have planned well,so I can sit home for 6 months or so and not worry financially..But who wants to live like this,never knowing when the next jobs coming up and if,and what the pay will be..I for one am looking at getting out of the ROV industry,which I dont really want to do,but planning on,as Im sick to death of the ROV industry and some of the selfish self obsessed idiots involved in this game..

JL Schnabel
    Participant

Yes James that is very true,but how long is this situation going to go on?.Will it ever get any better…There is only so long I can sit at home out of work and I have planned well,so I can sit home for 6 months or so and not worry financially..But who wants to live like this,never knowing when the next jobs coming up and if,and what the pay will be..I for one am looking at getting out of the ROV industry,which I dont really want to do,but planning on,as Im sick to death of the ROV industry and some of the selfish self obsessed idiots involved in this game..

I must say I have to agree with many of Surf91’s issues… I started in the ROV industry in Feb of 2005 with Oceaneering and did my time with them; gained the experience but never was able to save much $s seeing the salary was, yes, as we all know…
    I quit OI in Sep 2008 and have been an agency hand since then… and when there has been work (yes, WHEN) the salary has been good but I have never managed to save that magical 3, 6 or even 12 month (wow!) slush-fund that many of you seem to have as back-up. Thus do I really have a choice and turn down this or that day.rate ’cause it’s too low?! I agree though that we’re all messing it up for each other if we accept s**t offers : indeed; the salary.pool becomes diluted.
    (I came off my last job during the 2nd week of January and for now there is sweet nothing on the horizon!) I to wish I had the ‘luxury’ of turning down offers (but what offers??!)…
    Any way, I enjoy being part of this ROV industry and would like to remain in it for a good while still, but this uncertainty between trips is awful; it’s damn nerve-raking. When it’s fun, it’s lots of fun but this sitting around at home and waiting and looking and hoping and looking some more etc etc etc…

(I am starting to consider another industry : perhaps it’ll be less ‘fun’ but I need regular and secure.) 👿 👿 👿

ROVSKI
    Participant

David, we empathize with your difficulties. Its going to be a slow year maybe two and many are going to suffer and undercut. People think they were on a good deal but in real terms wages in this game have gone south for years. Yes wages have gone up in numerical terms but not in purchasing power. The old boys had it much easier as wages were very good 15 / 20 years ago compared to the real cost of living. I bought my first house (4bed 2 bath with swimming pool) cash after 5 years in the game without reliable work starting from a net worth of nothing more than an old bike and pair of skis. This is no longer possible, the real cost of living is so high and with no seafarers tax allowances anymore its just a subsistence wage for many. The only way to create the illusion of wealth is to borrow the cheap money and leverage your self up.
    People were already putting themselves under strain on 180 X day rate. How will they cope with say 100 X a lower day rate if their lucky. I would seriously consider other options if you have them for the next year or two. Being a contractor can be liberating during boom times but demoralizing during slow times. All that time on the phone, the promise of a sniff of a job in two weeks, sorry 4 weeks, sorry it fell through ( or someone more desperate than you scabbed you out ).

Back to the point of the thread, its a slow start to a slow year. Don’t bank on good rates or lots of days. Good luck to you all.

Back to the rant, if the wages were sooooo good before why are so many skint. Who are the only ROVers world wide still getting paid well and what do they have in common. Is it collective bargaining ?

JL Schnabel
    Participant

Thanks ROVSKI 8)

At least I know that it used to be good : real good !
    😮

(…take care)
    😉

subseascott
    Participant

Alright Scott B,

sorry, read a lot of how you wont work for less than your day rate….. Just wondering, what exactly is your day rate??

Robert Branch
    Participant

David Clark,as ROVSKI said when working as a contractor the boom times are fantastic,and as they always say,make hay whilst the sun shines…Whats really strange in this industry is that no one seems to know if the current work climate will stay the same for the year or pick up.Even when you ask the companies they dont divulge anything.Is it a big secret,are they keeping us all on a knife edge or do they genuinely not know.Ive been in the ROV industry for about 10 years or so and I love the work,but Im at my wits end with it now..and iam looking at a change of career,something with a bit more stabilty,and I would rather work for a bit less money but know more or less if I will be working in six months time or still sat at home..Remember you can work for one ROV company for a whole year,but as soon as it goes quiet you are forgotten,they dont give a shit about you..Anyway good luck..

liddelljohn
    Participant

Seems from what i am hearing from mates of mine who are project managers and engineers within the oil companies that there will be lots of work this year as they are ramping up projects all over including need for ROV ????,…….then on the other hand the ROV companies seem in the doldrums and the agencies seem in the dark? …so who is telling the truth ..or is there a disconnect ? i dont know and it seem none of you do either .

I was at a diner party last night with 5 mates all in the offshore industry and the four guys not in ROV are busier than ever as company reps,planners and project managers …..but we all agreed that ROV is quiet , still loads sitting on chocks in Singapore and Thailand …..Aberdeen as well ……looks like i will have plenty of time to ride my bikes .

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

New ROV industry motto:

MAYBE

me
    Participant

It is very quiet out there, know a lot of people sitting on the beach, some for 4-6 months now, you ask them if they want to take a pay cut, sure that 80% will say yes, i am lucky i have a job but new people try to get a foot in thats gonna be very hard right now.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar