Home Forums General General Board Re-using Tywraps

Re-using Tywraps

Home Forums General General Board Re-using Tywraps

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Ewan McKen
    Participant

The Administration Costs of placing the order and the Logistical Costs of getting the Tywraps to the ROV System means they probably cost a lot more than you think.

They are certainly worth recycling where practicable.

Whether it is practicable depends on what the PT would be doing otherwise, since he is already paid for being there.

If the PT has something to do that is of more benefit to the System then clearly he should be doing it.

But if the PT is just going to be sitting about talking BS and reading FHM, then clearly Tywrap Ironing would be a good idea.

Also Recycling Tywraps has huge Environmental benefits, and we should all be greatful that we can play our part in saving the Planet for the Little Childrens.

Regards,
    I5.

tc1
    Participant

F**k Off Innovator

luckyjim37
    Participant

The thing is though ironing tywraps should only be done once all the jubilee clips in the draw have had the kinks straightened out of them. Nothing more annoying than a jubilee with a 90 degree kink in the middle when your trying to fit it the vehicle.

Personally I try to re-use reasonable length LK5’s they quickly run out especially on mobs/demobs and are as I am led to believe fairly expensive as far as tywraps go.

It is really good to finally see a technical discussion that everyone can get involved in. 😆

Savante
    Participant

I’m fairly close to meggaring myself in the head at 5kV the way this conversation is going. 💡

Savante
    Participant

http://www.freebiereporter.com/ty-rap-cable-tie-sample-pack/

Free tyraps – now your company has no excuse !

TheProphet
    Participant

Inovator please tell me your post was a P*** Take. Tywraps should be cut off right at the top where the locking part is then they cant be used again, and it P****s the Knob head of a supervisor who wants to re-use them off. 😈

Oldschool
    Participant

What about using/reusing condoms for emergency "O" Rings? In China, you can purchase these right down to the Schilling LVDT Wrist oil passage sizes 😯 .

ROV_VALLEY_COMMANDO
    Participant

Savante, I’m sure there is a 150KV megger on the ship somewhere, we used to megger umbilicals with it, would you like it once i’ve done the same to myself.

Bin em and tell the supervisor to wind his neck in if he is telling you to save em.

MrSilent
    Participant

I want to find out how common the insistence is by companys or supervisors that tywraps must be cut off so that they can be re-used. I have even heard of a supervisor that wanted the used tywraps ironed to straighten them.

Do certain companys have a policy regarding this or is it supervisor/PM driven? Surely paying a PT a good day rate to waste time with cheap tywraps does not make economic sense as the money saved on a used tywrap is now compounded by the money spent on the PT during the increased time it now takes the PT to cut off, save, clean and put the bent tywrap back on? Never mind the time and money spent ironing the tywraps.

The tywraps become very costly, especially if used more thsan twice and what some may see as a good idea is actually false economy?

Comments anyone?

I think they may be winding you up. Could this be in the same vain as a long stand, left handed screwdriver, box of sparks, etc. etc. etc

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I always wind the tiewrap round as many times as poss before cutting the end off 🙂 Then when you salvage the tie wrap , you have more to re-use the next time 😀

rovnumpty
    Participant

Savante

I’m after you with the megger.

Multi-million pound operation and it comes down to slaving tywraps!? I though that was just an Oceaneering ‘stupid idea’TM.

If our distinguished colleagues in the office took the time to source them from somewhere cheaper instead of RS, there wouldn’t be nearly as much moaning about Cost.

pipetracker
    Participant

While we’re on about ty-raps I thought I should throw in a moan about those feckers that cut the tail off and leave a nice sharp edge for you to slice your hands on……and please don’t trot out the usual QHSE bollox that ‘you should have been wearing gloves’

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

While we’re on about ty-raps I thought I should throw in a moan about those feckers that cut the tail off and leave a nice sharp edge for you to slice your hands on……and please don’t trot out the usual QHSE bollox that ‘you should have been wearing gloves’

Pipe,

I agree … you can’t wear gloves on your forearms anyhow especially when working on some of these (WTF were they thinking!) compact ROV’s…

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Be careful of cheap Ty-Wraps , they tend to break at the mere pull of the tongue 8)

openside
    Participant

Nothing more annoying than a jubilee with a 90 degree kink in the middle

Allseas would say that there is nothing more annoying than a pipeline with a figure of eight kink in the middle!! CLEAR TO SURFACE……

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar