Home Forums General General Board ROV can decommission monopile foundations

ROV can decommission monopile foundations

Home Forums General General Board ROV can decommission monopile foundations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    georgeg
    Participant

How long would it take an ROV to decommission a monopile foundation? Could an ROV cut the base of the monopile allowing a vessel with a crane to take the monopile away.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

How long would it take an ROV to decommission a monopile foundation? Could an ROV cut the base of the monopile allowing a vessel with a crane to take the monopile away.

George,

There are just too many engineering variables that you have to mention before anyone would seriously attempt answering that question…

DANFROV
    Keymaster

Dear George,

It can be achieved as mentioned above, but most companies pay engineers to get this right.
    Us ROV’ers have been doing this kind of work for many years, however the actual how to is left to the professionals.

I was myself involved in the project of decommissioning the Odin Platform in Norway 15 years ago. (28,000 tonnes of steel I believe) All cleared to a depth of – 6 metres of seabed.

DanF

georgeg
    Participant

Thank you for the info Dan. I just wanted to know if it was possible.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Dear George,

I was myself involved in the project of decommissioning the Odin Platform in Norway 15 years ago. (28,000 tonnes of steel I believe) All cleared to a depth of – 6 metres of seabed.

DanF

Funnily enough so was I 🙂 MRV5, MRV6 and Discovery 8 onboard the Semi 2. They joys of 3 ROVs working together with huge diamond wire cutters 🙂

DANFROV
    Keymaster

I was assisting with the workshop testing of the tools and technical support.
    Unfortunately we did not manage to simulate OLD wood (wet) skids, If we had we possibly would not have had so much heartache, with stretched and broken diamond wires.

DanF

I still have the operations manual and tooling descriptions here somewhere in my files.

D

Ray Shields
    Participant

Once we switched from the cheaper diamond wires to the expensive one, all our problems went away 🙂

I still have the videos somewhere, including the one with the ROV sitting in the TMS when the other one never noticed it and tried taking out the camera with its manip. Photos of the seal that was swimming about us while clamped on one of the legs, and the rescue of Disco 8 when they bumped into something and their electronics unplugged themselves inside the pod and died 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar