Home Forums General General Board ROV Technician Whistle Blower from Deep Water Horizon BP

ROV Technician Whistle Blower from Deep Water Horizon BP

Home Forums General General Board ROV Technician Whistle Blower from Deep Water Horizon BP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    deepseacon
    Participant
    me
    Participant

Have to be careful here.
    Years ago i was working on a semi sub from Transocean, we had a fault on yellow pod, no leak but a fault in the pod, we recovered the pod to deck and sub engineers sorted the problem out, i wonder why they didn’t do the same here (if they could)
    From now on i think GVI of BOP will be intensive on rigs, no more 45 min from off deck to on deck

DANFROV
    Keymaster

With Cameras the size they are I am sure the old Type RIG TV Camera will come back.
    Usually operated by the Rig crew and Subsea Engineer.

DANF

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Guess he’ll never work on a BP job again 🙁

You know how it goes in this game.. He’ll definitely need to sue them to cover anticipated future loss of earnings.

Mark DuPriest
    Participant

Being a GOM alumni I suspect he will never be allowed to work for a ROV services company in the oil/gas industry in the GOM again.

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Texas Maritime Lawyer Matthew Shaffer is proud to represent injured offshore worker Tyrone Benton in his claims for personal injuries suffered as a result of the Deepwater Horizon offshore oil rig explosion.

(PRWEB) June 19, 2010 — Tyrone Benton, an honest, hard-working “ROV tech” for Oceaneering, was simply doing his job as a contractor working on the Deepwater Horizon offshore drilling rig when his underwater equipment noted a leak of hydraulic fluid in the rig’s blowout preventer before the massive explosion of April 20, 2010. His job was to assist with remote operated vehicles in surveying the mobile offshore drilling unit (MODU). He reported his findings to his supervisor and the information presumably went onward up the chain of command. However, as we now know, BP sadly did not act on this information and stop its drilling operations to repair the leak.

Unaware of the impact his statements would have, Mr. Benton chose to speak with the media about his work and findings. His video interview with the BBC created media frenzy. Assisted by SMSH Partner Dennis McElwee, Mr. Benton ultimately chose to speak exclusively with Drew Griffin and CNN. This interview will air tonight at 9:00 p.m. on CNN.

http://yhoo.it/9XxaJo

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Texas Maritime Lawyer Matthew Shaffer is proud to represent injured offshore worker Tyrone Benton in his claims for personal injuries suffered as a result of the Deepwater Horizon offshore oil rig explosion.

(PRWEB) June 19, 2010 — Tyrone Benton, an honest, hard-working “ROV tech” for Oceaneering, was simply doing his job as a contractor working on the Deepwater Horizon offshore drilling rig when his underwater equipment noted a leak of hydraulic fluid in the rig’s blowout preventer before the massive explosion of April 20, 2010. His job was to assist with remote operated vehicles in surveying the mobile offshore drilling unit (MODU). He reported his findings to his supervisor and the information presumably went onward up the chain of command. However, as we now know, BP sadly did not act on this information and stop its drilling operations to repair the leak.

Unaware of the impact his statements would have, Mr. Benton chose to speak with the media about his work and findings. His video interview with the BBC created media frenzy. Assisted by SMSH Partner Dennis McElwee, Mr. Benton ultimately chose to speak exclusively with Drew Griffin and CNN. This interview will air tonight at 9:00 p.m. on CNN.

http://yhoo.it/9XxaJo

Unaware my a*se

Rule #1 – Do not speak to the press

Monkey

Ray Shields
    Participant

Equipment have leaks all the time, was this "leak" significant? Did it have anything to do with what happened?

And shouldn’t it be TRANSOCEANS BOP was leaking and TRANSOCEAN did nothing about it?

And of course talking to the press adds $$$$s to your "compensation" claim.

Donald Faulds
    Participant

There are many details about this whole incident that are widely known in the industry but not in the press. It should come out in the enquiry. Usually this sort of disaster is a whole combination of details – each one on its own is not enough but taken together it goes boom. The press are great at taking one detail and building a whole cause and effect.

Going to the press isn’t good for the career. 🙁

And, no, I am not going to repeat anything I have heard!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

And shouldn’t it be TRANSOCEANS BOP was leaking and TRANSOCEAN did nothing about it?

Well you’d think so, but as we all know it’s the senior BP company man onboard that calls the shots, often after direct consultation with the beach, on whether drilling should halted to fix something. I would suggest that Transocean may have had no real say in the matter unless they pulled the ‘safety/stop’ card out of the hat.

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Well you’d think so, but as we all know it’s the senior BP company man onboard that calls the shots, often after direct consultation with the beach, on whether drilling should halted to fix something. I would suggest that Transocean may have had no real say in the matter unless they pulled the ‘safety/stop’ card out of the hat.

Bingo, you win

Monkey

tobs
    Participant

But even so, how can the toolpusher and the subsea engineer accept that BP calls the shot on their equipment? Where’s the pride?

If thats the way things are done in the GOM, I’m glad I’m on the other side of the Atlantic. Over here we don’t bend over for any company man 😈

Kelvin
    Participant

😕 Changing things slightly, i am on my way to the GOM to Join a ROV system helping with the Leak plugging, how are the systems holding up with all the crude. Is there a up lift for getting covered in S–t every time the ROV is on deck.

Kelvin
    Participant

Forgot to mention the rest of it, Huge medical questionaire and have to be fitted for a gas mask. (Deep Joy) 🙁

thomas
    Participant

Guys,
    whats happening in the GOM should give ROV personell an increase in rates due to the danger element.I dont know if this is happening down there but if not,then this is something the IROVA would address without hesitation.
    Send us your support at ….

register@IROVA.org

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar