Home Forums General General Board ROV training courses

ROV training courses

Home Forums General General Board ROV training courses

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bob Backlund
    Participant

Hi folks, am new to this board, I have been in the RAF now for 12 yrs and am looking to get out soon. Can anyone tell me of some places that run ROV operator courses?, I know of one down Fort William but was quoted 4500quid. I know the RAF will pay part of this thru resettlement, how much of i I dont know yet. As much information as possible would be much welcome 🙂

ionicwings
    Participant
    Ray Shields
    Participant

Hi folks, am new to this board, I have been in the RAF now for 12 yrs and am looking to get out soon. Can anyone tell me of some places that run ROV operator courses?, I know of one down Fort William but was quoted 4500quid. I know the RAF will pay part of this thru resettlement, how much of i I dont know yet. As much information as possible would be much welcome 🙂

Please read through all the messages about this on the board here, especially in the Rookies section. This question is asked on here several times a week and has been answered many times in the past.

There is a lot of debate about whether the ROV training courses are worth the money, some people say they’re wonderful and they got work straight away; other say they’re not worth the money and they are still looking for work. Unfortunately getting a job in ROVs tends to be more luck and right place at the right time.

The majority of people agree that the first thing you need to be is TECHNICAL. If you do not have a technical background or experience you are going to struggle to get in. You are ex RAF so you should be OK 🙂 There are many ex RAF people in ROVs now (and on here) so holefully they can advise their experiences in getting into ROVs.

Have a look at the FAQ section on here and the advice on how to lay your CV out – the offshore CV is nothing like the one the resettlement people teach you to write!

Do the RAF pay as much as £4500 for resettlement these days? I though it was a lot less than that? Personally I would say you would be better off spending money on SVQ or NVQ qualifications. If you are electrical, get Hydraulic qualifications and vice versa. The majority of ROV Companies nowadays have their own training courses and you would be better off spending the resettlement on other better training.

Richard
    Participant

Hi Guys!
    I know so many guys coming into the ROV industry from the RAF that we will have the largest underwater air force in the world in a couple of years.
    I just hope that USA does not see us as a military threat? But there again Bush has not long left as President 😆

luckyjim37
    Participant

I am not sure anyone sees the RAF as a military threat never mind the ROV industry. I am sure they would be more worried about the level of fluffy slippers and brylcream wearers going offshore.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar