Home Forums General General Board ROV Training School in Dorset, UK.

ROV Training School in Dorset, UK.

Home Forums General General Board ROV Training School in Dorset, UK.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Andy Shiers
    Participant

There you go folks 🙂
    Yet another worthwhile money making adventure , To assist in a certain professional calibre of our industry.
    Starting price cheap enough for absolutely anyone to become a Glorious pilot 8)
    A training school which after a few short weeks will turn anyone into a qualified Pilot /Tech and earn loads of Dosh , Full time through-out the year. 😯
    Anyone Out of a job , please apply as there are plenty of slots in the Industry , the demand is great 🙂 It’s Sooooo great that we need more ROV Pilot , Technician Training schools to keep up with it 😯

Gumbo
    Participant

how? where? when? who?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

how? where? when? who?

A link would be good :tup:

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant
    Gumbo
    Participant

any good for a super?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

any good for a super?

Eh?

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Oh Dear 😕
    I was hoping that the Sarcasm would have been seen almost to the point of dripping off a piece of toast 😯
    Ref
    Emma -ROV Super Duper trainer wanted to train new hopefuls in the wise ways of ROVing 8)
    See "Other employment opportunities"
    I did not want to put my thoughts on the matter in the Topic above as I would have had my hands slapped by the Adults on here 😀

JoeBolt
    Participant

Global Marine Systems training school at Portland Port isn’t some new venture which has just jumped on the ROV training band wagon, as Lostboy appears to be suggesting. It has been operating for a number of years.

I popped in to speak to them in Autumn 2008, when the ship I was working on (in a non ROV position) docked in Portland. I made it clear at the time, that I wasn’t intending to do a course with them. In fact I was just digging for general ROV information as part of my preparation for a forthcoming interview I had lined up with another ROV company. Despite this, the instructor couldn’t have been more helpful and accommodating, taking the time to show me around and answer my questions.

Of course, he also suggested that if I didn’t land the job, I could always come back and do a course with them. I don’t blame him for that! Thankfully it wasn’t necessary.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

So ………..Did you get a job with a ROV company or are you still digging ?
    I did not say they were a brand new venture , mind you ……….I DO say ……any school that has cropped up in the last four years IS new.
    And therefor IS jumping on the ROV band wagon 😀

rovnumpty
    Participant

So who is it your actually trying to get at lost boy?

The plethora of schools obvoiusly wouldn’t exist if there wasn’t a market for them. Which means there are still suckers out there willing to pour their hard earned dosh into an ROV course.

While the qualification received from most these schools’ means diddly squat, it is, unfortuneatly, popular with the HR girls (who themselves know diddly squat about ROVs) who run the recruitment in most ROV companies.

I can see the business sense in a ROV school. Buy a second hand eyeball, find yourself an old shed on a pier somewhere, put together a course which conforms to ‘IMCA gidelines’ and start making money to the tune of £5000 per student. Couple of full courses and you have your investment back and are making a tidy penny.

I think we should be asking as to why this is allowed to happen. I’m sure if you invested the money in a mobile crane and started training courses on it, you’d have the HSE, police, council and every other dogsbody in shutting you down for not being qualified to train crane operators.

The short answer is anyone can be sent offshore to be a ROV tech. There is no industry REQUIRED training, other than a medical and a survival. That puts us on a par with rousties and stewards. Divers, crane drivers, sparkys, mechs, riggers, ABs all need industry certified training before being allowed offshore.

So there you go lost, hope that was a big enough bite for you.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Yaheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey 😀
    Someone talkin’ sense 😮
    Excellent bite Rovnumpty And from the Highlands too 😯

bristolrover69
    Participant

I am all for enterprise,
    Some guys have seem an oppurtunity and done something about making some money out of this industry. Instead of sitting on a boat and carping on about thegood old days,the ruination of the industry, blah blah blah
    then pissing all there ‘hard earned’ cash on fast, bikes cars women etc.
    some of us have chosen to invest some of our cash.

And from what I’ve seen, some guys offshore could do with some training.

‘He opened his bag of talent to find it wasn’t as full as he thought it was’

Wake up boys the industry is changing, go with it or get forgotten.

Elvis
    Participant

Heard about a Plumber who went on a course with this lot. Blagged his way onto a job in the Middle East on an eyeball spread with a vast total of 12 hours Falcon time. After two trips was elevated to the lofty heights of Supervisor.

Confusing thing was he emailed the training school a few weeks after with a question (or some guidance). Was it OK for the deckies to be storing 45 gallon drums of gasoline next to his control shack and up against his workshop van? No fixed or portable firefighting kit installed or available by the way.

Enough said…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar