Home Forums General General Board Rov work term

Rov work term

Home Forums General General Board Rov work term

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    50swelsh
    Participant

Hey everybody,
    I have completed a two year comprehensive program dealing with all aspects of rovs. I have been trained on both the mechanica/electrical side along with over 200 hrs of simulator and real time piloting. I have my BST, first aid, whimis, and and H2S courses. I need to find a work term for june. Any suggestions?

mustafa bigen
    Participant

Ten years ago / In 1992), a crack commando unit was sent to the seven seas by subsea 7 for a crime they didn’t commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security vessel to the bridge of don underground. Today, still wanted by Colin Gibson, they survive as pilots of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can join… The A-Team.

saphire7
    Participant

Fool! I aint gettin on no plane 🙂

blackbeard
    Participant

No need, the van is round the corner !

Rabsky
    Participant

You don’t say where you live? But a safe bet is McDonalds for June but be quick before the school leavers. Actually if you get a job in McDonalds in Aberdeen you could speak to all the experienced offshore dudes who are waiting to get offshore themselves..could be an in, hope this helps

50swelsh
    Participant

I go to school at the marine institute of Newfoundland. There is a 2 year advanced rov course there. I know the industry is slow now but i just am looking to get my foot in the door somewhere

blackbeard
    Participant

Monkey World – ‘ROV Tether Monkey Agency’

Based near Wareham, Dorset, United Kingdom.

We have more monkeys than you can shake a stick at!

For all your ‘Tether Monkey’ requirements call us now!
    Tel +44 1929 462 537
    or
    email: apes@monkeyworld.org

Robert Branch
    Participant

Oh not another one.

DJansen
    Participant

2 year ROV course… WTF! Next they will be offering a degree in advanced tether management..

When will people realise that ROV’ing isn’t a job that can be taught in a classroom..

It is far more than the sum of it’s parts and even the best technically qualified bloke often turns out to be unsuited to ROV work.. Conversely there are some guys who are excellent hands but came from very different industries..

Just going to school won’t make you an ROV guy. A recoqnised tech qualification is a much better route.. Then if it turns out you don’t have any ‘spacial awareness’ have poor personal hygiene or snore loudly. Or worse are just a cock who nobody can work with you will be able to seek alternative work with your recognised qual.. Try doing that with your ROV ‘degree’

Great that you want a start in the industry but so many new guys are going about it the wrong way.. The attrition rate has always been huge especially once the realities of working offshore sink home.. It just doesn’t suit everybody..

That aside.. Unfortunately for all the new guys this is a shite time to ‘get a start’ in ROV’s .. Better you find a job on the beach and wait for the next boom… The fact that guys with 10-15 yrs exp are waiting for work should tell you all you need to know..

mustafa bigen
    Participant

Wise words DJansen.
    In my opinion if it is possible, a job on the beach as a work shop tech for a rov company would be invaluable experience. You’ll learn the kit inside out and see the real and regular problems that occur with the kit.
    As for operational experience, you can’t learn how to fly under the pressure of damaging equipment, time, the rep O.M. and an ordiance over your shoulder till your on the job.
    In short get hands on with kit you will use,( in a working environment). Class rooms are for academics and that won’t be a selling point to get offshore matie.

Robert Branch
    Participant

Would be lucky to get a job in the workshop anywhere now..Give it a couple of years..

50swelsh
    Participant

To who that are ignorant,
    I just got a work term with acergy energy out of the uk making 75,000 cdn per year, great advice boys

Ray Shields
    Participant

Well done 50swelsh, goes to show work comes to those who look :tup:

James McLauchlan
    Participant

To who that are ignorant,
    I just got a work term with acergy energy out of the uk making 75,000 cdn per year, great advice boys

Thanks for the update.

Good to see someone successfully breaking into the industry.

Hiya 50swelsh,

Not sure if that is an unusual nickname or a description of age and nationality.

Its good to see that you got a position after putting in 2 years of effort – but this is really only the beginning.

I think that the guys are trying to say this (maybe a bit bruskly). Consider it a bit like a guy who does a medical degree – there is no way you will be doing brain surgery tomorrow or the next day or for the next few years. It is a very steep learning curve and the academic and theoretical knowledge are useful to have but do not cover the social and practical skills you need to have. Added to which most people have learnt a trade and qualified through their knowledge. You now have to assimilate all their skills and demonstrate that you are capable – and no matter what IMCA stick in their guidelines – that has only come from the guys that did it the hard way originally.

Its nice to know that when, like you will have been taught, that if there is no comms to the sub and you need a reterm, you go to the stores/workshop and get the tools and kit together. Then you discover that, even though the sup ordered all the hot melts, there is not enough cos some shiny arsed accountant decided to cut down the order to save a couple of quid. At least you will understand the theory of making a good brew – which always improves the situation.

Unfortunately HR also only understands the modern terminology set and "a degree" in ROV will always look good. In my opinion 25 years engineering background and 3 weeks ROV course should hold a lot more sway – seemingly that is not the case (incidentally I have a Masters in IT – but still cannot handle the bloody English(US) – whatever that is – spell checker on Word 2007). But that is the current "management" way of doing stuff. Looking at the way some of these companies are going and the cocks ups they have produced (I include Acergy and the recent amazing millions they lost on a huge Brazilian contract in that).

But good luck to you mate – we need talanted and comitted guys not wannabees who want to go raise the Titanic – or did someone do that?

Prof Anny Sore-arse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar