Home Forums General General Board Small ROV to conduct inspections and beyond…

Small ROV to conduct inspections and beyond…

Home Forums General General Board Small ROV to conduct inspections and beyond…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ricky
    Participant

Hello All,

We (anonymous) are looking at a good bit of year-end funding to potential purchase a small ROV for internal pipeline inspections. The interest is in a small ROV that can adapt some kind of profiler to go along with the visual inspection. (FYI – pipe ID is 22" min.) There is also potential side interest to use this ROV for search and recovery operations with the local fire dept. They stated they would really need an imaging sonar to make it worthwhile (their funding).

I have read a few of the other posts on this site and it seems like many of you could provide valuable information to help us evaluate our options.

There is also a wild thought of HD video if anyone has anything to add about that…

Thanks in advance!

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

GD,

If you’d like to see a system with a profiling sonar, shoot me a PM with how to get in touch. I’m just North of Seattle and can set up a demonstration for you.

Chief

Mike Chapman
    Participant

Hello Anonymous,
    My company, Mecco Inc, in the Seattle area hasa benn selling, servicing and leasing the type of inspection vehicles you are alluding to. We currently have 5 different models in our shop. You are welcome to stop by or call at 2069796150! Mike

Craig Bussel
    Participant

We can help you with that, at Underwater Resources we have years experince with internal pipe inspections and the use of profiling sonars, feel free to contact us at 415-974-5464. We are located in the SF Bay area of California.
    All the best,
    Craig

Ricky
    Participant

Based on the responses so far, I need to be a bit more specific.

I am fact finding right now but I would also like to get information from actual users of this type of equipment. Listed below is what I am interested in at this point:

– VideoRay/SeaBotix for long (up to 2000 ft.) internal pipe inspection? Why? (I do understand that the VideoRay Rovs are smaller, but the size difference will not be a concern for our projects.)

– Imaging Sonars for the above mentioned systems?

– Types of pipe profiling units for the above mentioned systems? Links to sample data?

– HD Video??? Anyone have anything to say?

Thank you again in advance!!
    (PS – Sorry, not looking for service providers or sales calls at this time.)

John
    Participant

I know a guy up in the Great Lakes Area running a Seabotix ROV with a 2000m umbilical…! He uses it for pipe inspections but the last time I heard he had only run out about 1400m of the umbilical…that’s still around 4500ft.!!

SAR Imaging Sonars – the obvious choices are the Tritech Gemini or one of the BlueView P900s. I guess it comes down to which platform you choose. I probably won’t try to put a Gemini on a VideoRay, not saying it can’t be done…

Craig Bussel
    Participant

For a vehicle that size, you will be looking at a custom build. I would recommend contacting a long tunnel company, ie, Hibbard, SeaView Systems, in Canada Aquatic Sciences or the one I work for Underwater Resources. But SeaView and Hibbard are the experts when it comes to long tunnel. Their perspective web sights are loaded with the kind of free info you are looking for.
    Good luck to you.

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

GD,

I’d really avoid the Seabotix with 2000m of umbilical. It’s going to weigh in excess of 400lbs. I saw the picture of the guy using it, he had a winch or something to lift the damn thing up and out of his truck. Now that may have worked for him, but if your still thinking of using it with your local FD, then it’s going to be too much of a burden.

The Pro4 from VideoRay can do a 2000′ pipe inspection. The nice thing is the tether can be "ganged" up like an extension cord. With Seabotix your stuck with what ever length you buy, unless you want to go an buy an extra tether and reel ($$$Cha-ching…).

With the VideoRay you can add the HD option very quickly (it’s modular, so you don’t have to send it back to the factory for expensive refits or pay alot extra up front to make it "future compatable"). I’ve used it for three different TV shows and it has performed flawlessly each time. As far as an imaging sonar goes, BlueView or the Tri-Tech Gemini both work very well with the VideoRay (I’ve flow them both with no issues). What works well for profiling is the Tri-Tech Sea Sprite.

Chief

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

GD,

Feel free to purchase an LBV, I just hope you don’t end up like these folks did…

http://www.rovinfo.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=551&p=1048&sid=204b8b6204331b72090a8de834a7971b#p1048

Chief

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar