Home Forums General General Board Suction pump/storage device for taking samples on small ROV

Suction pump/storage device for taking samples on small ROV

Home Forums General General Board Suction pump/storage device for taking samples on small ROV

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

Does anyone know of a suitable suction pump or a similar device that can collect and store a sample. The device would need to fit a small ROV such as the AC-ROV or the Pro 4. Any help would be appreciated.

Glevum
    Participant

What are you trying to sample?

Bill Bulloch
    Participant

I would also be interested in any kind of seabed or tank bottom sampler, mechanical or suction to suit a Seabotix.

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Depending on the depth you’d be operating at, what worked well for me and a client was to attach a small clear plastic hose to the manipulator (wire ties), then run the cable back up the tether, securing it every foot or so. To gain samples, we used a small hand operated Jabsco Pump.

If you follow the link, at about the 3 1/2 minute mark you’ll see how we attached the hose to get the samples. It wasn’t pretty, used a fair amount of duct tape, but at the end of the day it worked and more importantly, the client gladly paid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNog4rkIUJI

Any questions, just ask!

Chief

Bill Bulloch
    Participant

Hi Cheif,
    Thanks for that. Good idea, especially for tank bottom samples etc.

Cheers

Paul
    Participant

I wonder if this idea might be adapted to suck a sample into a bag:

http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/sedimentremover.html

Of course you’d have to have a way to supply power to it and use a motor appropriate for the depth you’ll be working at, but at least you wouldn’t have to drag all that hose around. Just another idea…

Savante
    Participant

what sort of sample volume are you talking about please?

Bill Bulloch
    Participant

Excellent! Thank you. You have certainly got me thinking outside of the box now. Nice one, cheers

T-Boy
    Participant

If you van be a little more specific, we may all be able to steer you in the right direction with an ‘off the shelf design’

There are oodles of designs out there. if it’s core, then that’s reletivley easy, however, you may be after more than this?

PM me if you want to talk tecchi.

T-B

Paul
    Participant

@T-Boy – I’m interested in this topic as well. Don’t have any immediate need for it but would like to know what options are out there in case something comes up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar