Home Forums General General Board supervising with low experiance

supervising with low experiance

Home Forums General General Board supervising with low experiance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    robert
    Participant

Can anyone give me advise on supervising. Ive been working with a well known ROV company for almost a year now and i know i could easily supervise a system. does anyone know of any agencies that would take me on as a supervisor obviously at a reduced rate for 12 months. i will then reevaluate my rate. I know just by seeing the agency lads here that it would not be dificult to get ahead.
    Please if anyone can help me the advice would be appreciated.

Cloudy

Andy Shiers
    Participant

😀
    Good one ! 😉

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Hah! Stick with your day job for another 9 years… You’ll need about 10 years with a company in total, as a staffer, before you will be proficient enough, as a supervisor, to work through an agency. 😉

robert
    Participant

9-10 years? that sounds excessive. surely if you are familure with a system and happy that you can fault find competently thats good enough. i know even some of the supervisors that i have come across cant do that as good as me. 😕

senior
    Participant

You did ask? 😆

James McLauchlan
    Participant

You did ask? 😆

😆

Mike McEwan
    Participant

Is this Steve Macleod?
    If it is get real mate you have years ahead of you before you even think about supervisor. You do not have the depth of experience and knowledge that can only come with time.
    Mike

K2
    Participant

Cloudy

Knowing the system is only a small part of supervising, the easy part. What takes time is operational experience which can only be gained by exposure to different scenarios of which there are thousands. Think of different workscopes, environmental conditions (surface & subsea), vessels, clients and crews just to mention a few, it is a continual learning experience. The greater the length of time in the industry then the greater your ability to adapt to all these different situations using knowledge built over time.

Having said that, I know a number of people who have been placed in supervisory positions by companies who just don’t have the guys. Some are fine as they stay on one system doing the same job, others fail miserably.

If you think you are good enough then go and do it. But as a contractor your reputation is what gets you work. If you make a simple mistake the world will know and that won’t make job hunting easy for you in the future. Many clients receive CVs from agencies and only take people they think are good enough so there is a chance you won’t get work at all.

Have a look at the IMCA guidelines for tech, sub eng and sup and see where you think you can fit in.

Good Luck

😉

Robert Black
    Participant

Also, not wishing to sound elitist, but learn to spell like a big boy or at least use spell checker if you want to try pass yourself off and be taken seriously as someone who is ready to take on a more managerial position.
    Just a thought.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Learn to walk before you can run ,……………….. Better still , learn to stand up before you walk ,…………….. Muppet !

T-Boy
    Participant

Clowdy,

My advise for you wud be to offer to pay for your flite out, at a reduced day rate for travel to maybe Onne or Port Harcourt.

I would suggest swimming to your vessel to save cost of the transfer boat.

If you make it, then you may be worvee of becoming a Supervisor.

Once onboard you might offer to sleep outside on the dek, whereupon you would further reduce your day rate as you could resoom your normal roll of hairdwessing for the company your currently with 😉

Wkd for me
    😆

KeyserSoze
    Participant

Surely this thread should be renamed

"Supervising with low expedience"

More apt methinks?

Try supervising with low IR! Clunk-click every trip!

Chaos
    Participant

Try to get more experience first. After a year in this industry you don’t know a 10th of what you think you know.
    There is a lot more to learn and time is what you need.
    You need experience of a few rovs even if they are the same type but better to have worked on at least 3-4 different types.
    You will need experience of lots of ships, rigs and platforms structures etc.
    Dealing with people both above and below you.

If however you feel that i don’t know what i’m are talking about after more than 20 years offshore with rovs then by all means send out your CV to all the agencies and try your luck, who knows you may get what you wished for.

If the shit hits the fan everybody will be looking at you.
    If you get it right you may get another job.

Either way good luck.

Chaos

John Bridgett
    Participant

Try to get more experience first. After a year in this industry you don’t know a 10th of what you think you know.
    There is a lot more to learn and time is what you need.
    You need experience of a few rovs even if they are the same type but better to have worked on at least 3-4 different types.
    You will need experience of lots of ships, rigs and platforms structures etc.
    Dealing with people both above and below you.

If however you feel that i don’t know what i’m are talking about after more than 20 years offshore with rovs then by all means send out your CV to all the agencies and try your luck, who knows you may get what you wished for.

If the shit hits the fan everybody will be looking at you.
    If you get it right you may get another job.

Either way good luck.

Chaos

Interesting, the first constructive post, why does veryone have to mock someone for asking what is to them a serious question? I do accept and agree with most points raised though and I am of course an ROV newbie.

J

T-Boy
    Participant

Hurt Feelings report at the ready!

You need to be able to spot the bait and the hook within it…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar