Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Take a pay cut or not??

Take a pay cut or not??

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Take a pay cut or not??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

From another thread.

…………… in the next breath, I was asked if I would lower my day rate by …….£50 😯 😡 . WTF and this was in Q3 last year.

I declined and went else where 😀

If you take a day rate cut from your agency that is your personal choice but lets face it the last three months have been a lot quieter than normal so you do what you have to do to survive these quiet times.

100% agree with ‘senior’
    You should never agree to a rate lower than the previous year…..

regards
    James Mc

R2D2
    Participant

Now, one might be sitting at home with no lolly and told there’s no work until November. You all know the bills come every month, regardless…

If offered a stint at a lower day-rate, does one;
    a.) Take a pay-cut and get offshore?
    b.) Tell them to stick it?
    c.) Flip burgers for a fraction?
    d.) Wait for your cheque from the Union?

Really tough choices.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Decline and go elsewhere.

senior
    Participant

I agree with you James, walk on by and let another Muppet with more debts than myself carry out the job, these people are cutting their own throats in the long run and making it harder for the rest of us to get a decent day rate. 😈

This agency was asking for me to take £50 per day cut, in Q3, no way brother

Cheers

Senior $ 😯 $

Ray Shields
    Participant

Said by someone who has enough in the bank to be able to afford to say no?

I agree that generally you should TRY and not take a cut or work for less than the season before, but there are sometimes going to be situations where you need it. Cut off your nose to spite your face I believe is the relevant saying.

senior
    Participant

Another way to look at it, to debt or not to debt

Some people use one half their ingenuity to get into debt, and the other half to avoid paying it. 🙄

Senior.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Said by someone who has enough in the bank to be able to afford to say no?

Ray

Yes, I have enough in the bank to afford to say no. How I have arrived in this position is not by accident or luck though, but more by design.

Years back, as a diver, I was offered a rate that was under the norm. I could have done with the money. I declined, stretched out my slush fund, drove trucks for a while and looked elsewhere for a month or so until I picked up work at the going rate. If everybody did that the rates would never go down.

Only those that spend as they earn can’t afford to do this. If people are cashless during the quiet periods then they have nobody to blame but themselves and are using the wrong strategy as day raters.

However, if the solution to overspending is to to take the easy way out and accept lower rates to get work then, in the longer term, they are doing nobody any favours, including themselves and many others in this industry. Sorry, correction… they are certainly doing the companies major favours in improving their investor profits but hey… who cares about that?

The problem is these days people keep looking at the Jones’s and feel they must keep up with the big house, new car, new furniture, the works and then wonder why they are running out of money after a few months without a job. I’ve always tried to run on a GBP 10k slush fund so that there is a buffer in place for the lean times. In this game you can’t spend as you go.. especially as a day rate person.

regards
    James Mc

Andy Shiers
    Participant

And that …………………. Is precisely what I do as a day rater 8)
    Because that is how it has always been and I cannot see it changing soon 😯
    So A reality check to all you Newbies Who think you Are getting into a lucrative easy job ( Like playing on a Playstation toy and get paid for it , loads a bucks and you think it’s easy peasy )
    It ain’t 😯 .
    It’s the Oil and Gas Industry and if you have not got the experience………………….. You should not be a day rater But a blue eyed salary girl and if you cannot get a job on salary to get the experience…………………………… Get another profession and stop Screwing up our lively hood 👿

senior
    Participant

Oi Oi, hows that ballistic chart wheel thing coming along lost boy, you got it finished yet?. Sorry to digress, but Who honestly wants to work the same but get paid less for doing it 🙄 Not me pedro!.

If people get themselves in a situation that they are finding difficult to manage, I agree with you lost boy, they should not be in that position.

Senior $$ :mrgreen:

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Agree with you guys also…. being flush fiscally goes along with responsibility – personal and professional… And yes, throughout the (many) years I’ve been in the industry I did the unspeakable and undercut myself…. REMEMBER those 2 words young folks "undercut myself"……

Good thread dudes… Let’s keep the hammer going!!!!

ROVSKI
    Participant

Whilst I have empathy for those folks, who need this weeks pay for last months bills, of course your family must take priority over your workmates.

Please learn a lesson from some of the old salts. They probably trained you and carried you on many a job. Now because of you spent your money foolishly you are undurcutting these same people and taking money from their families, hope that new Audi or house bigger than you really need was worth it. Never believe the boom without end, usually the bull sh#t is at its peak just before the crash.

When the next boom comes, save some dough, so you dont have to cut your own throat and those who taught you your skills. Better to drive an old car on holidays than have a new car in the garage and working for peanuts to pay for it.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Good point from ROVSKI folks…. SAVE your dosh!! A safe buffer would be for 8 months (re: no work for that period). Mine used to be 3 months but now it’s up to 5 or 6 months buffer (and that’s without tapping into my retirement funds or other monies incoming – another financial aspect to ponder folks – retirement funds…)

Andy Shiers
    Participant

You mean the Farming of certain plants and the prostitution racket Scott ? 😀

Joel
    Participant

Talki

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

You mean the Farming of certain plants and the prostitution racket Scott ? 😀

DUUUOOOH!!! (Again)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar