Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Take a pay cut or not??

Take a pay cut or not??

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Take a pay cut or not??

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I reckon the rates are going up – TO ALL, DO NOT TREAT THIS AS ONE OF MY RANTS –

Ask – right now – and you’ll most likely receive. The industry is going mental this week….!!! 😀 😀 And to all management, my usual to y’all… 😉

T-Boy
    Participant

May be slightly off topic, but maybe as an aide to the OP and others;

What is needed is a more cohesive set of day rate figures so that people can see whether or not they are being paid up to whack, and therefore don’t end up shafting themselves and/or the rest of the industries’ personnel ❓

Look at the Pay Rate thread, they don not follow the figures submitted in this thread at all.
    For example, the avarage wage for a Supv is around the 400 quid ‘ish mark taken from the Pay Rate table whereas this thread quotes a 450 e.g. so are people being paid 50 quid short of which figure?

Could we have some input from the posters so that we have a table say that is simply,

PT1 expect to earn between x and x
    S.E ————–
    Supv ————–
    Supt —————-

T

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Could we have some input from the posters so that we have a table say that is simply,

PT1 expect to earn between x and x
    S.E ————–
    Supv ————–
    Supt —————-

T

It’s a bit more complicated than that, but by all means create a new thread in the ROV Pay Rates Section.… we can debate it there.

regards
    James Mc

Robert Branch
    Participant

Scott you say the industry has gone mental this week..Are you serious?.
    Its dead as a Dodo here in Oztralia…

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Surf,

Gorgon is quiet?? But to answer your question, yes, it’s getting busy. AND the rates are quite acceptable and will go up a bit.

Robert Branch
    Participant

If you dont mind me asking Scott which companies are busy and where.I had a really busy year last year,but nothing as of yet this year…I havent been looking for any work in Asia mind..

Gordon Duncan
    Participant

James,

With some of smart comments on this site from people do you really think you can get a union?

‘To those that are thinking about going out for less than you did last year:
    Stick out for a decent rate or go and undermine another industry but leave ours alone please!’

How many in this forum actually have there own ROV company?
    How many people actually set out goals and get there own contracts for jobs and can put qualified people forward(not IMCA, they cannot give trades or qualifications only advise).
    How many people can design, build, test and manufacture electronics boards for ROV’s(<0.1%?)

Before you get a union there should be people with true qualifications.

Anonymous

Do believe the subject was about pulling your own pants down and taking it right up the back passage, not about quals/unions etc etc.

However qualified people why don’t we have em? 1. Nepotism…..how many guys have a got a start in this game undeservingly? 2. Other Industries….you can put your trade cert to work elsewhere for better money in many cases.

Qualifications themselves = garbage. Plenty of pretenders out there both with and without tickets.

Money why is it down? Cause of you dumb f?@#’s in the UK. Used to love working with you but you’ve done it to yourself. Wouldn’t even bother flying west nowadays.

Don’t personally know of a single guy in Asia Pacific that has taken a pay cut ever. Yep foreign exchange rates vary, tax rules affect others differently, sometimes there’s no work, but the USD/AUD rates never go backwards in the East. Some guys rates may not have moved up for some time BUT NEVER DOWN!

Harden the f@#$ up!

Gordon Duncan
    Participant

For a start I am not in the UK. I am in Asia. I have my own ROV company and have never been out of work for 18 years. I can pick who works in my team and also how much they get paid.

You say qualifications are nothing. That means when an electronic board is down and you do not have a spare you just say ‘we will wait for the spare to arrive ‘ or can you actually fix the electronic board? Maybe you are just a 5 year wonder and know electronic components inside out. By the way a person with 5 years in electronics means s**t to me.

Anonymous

Gogsie, chillout, if you aint in the category I described then I don’t understand why you are justifying your position to me. My post is aimed at the knobs that have sent UK rates spiraling down, not you personally. I’m sure not going to justify my position to you other than to say you’ve read me wrong. Tired of the same old crap here. Deactivating my account…..cya guys.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Do believe the subject was about pulling your own pants down and taking it right up the back passage, not about quals/unions etc etc.

However qualified people why don’t we have em? 1. Nepotism…..how many guys have a got a start in this game undeservingly? 2. Other Industries….you can put your trade cert to work elsewhere for better money in many cases.

Qualifications themselves = garbage. Plenty of pretenders out there both with and without tickets.

Money why is it down? Cause of you dumb f?@#’s in the UK. Used to love working with you but you’ve done it to yourself. Wouldn’t even bother flying west nowadays.

Don’t personally know of a single guy in Asia Pacific that has taken a pay cut ever. Yep foreign exchange rates vary, tax rules affect others differently, sometimes there’s no work, but the USD/AUD rates never go backwards in the East. Some guys rates may not have moved up for some time BUT NEVER DOWN!

Harden the f@#$ up!

Tether,

I did 3 times in 30 years BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY and a slight drop (US$ 25 – 40) NOT 100 – 200 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too true tho’!!! Harden the farq up!!!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

For a start I am not in the UK. I am in Asia. I have my own ROV company and have never been out of work for 18 years. I can pick who works in my team and also how much they get paid.

You say qualifications are nothing. That means when an electronic board is down and you do not have a spare you just say ‘we will wait for the spare to arrive ‘ or can you actually fix the electronic board? Maybe you are just a 5 year wonder and know electronic components inside out. By the way a person with 5 years in electronics means s**t to me.

Gogsie,

Several scenarios come to mind here:
    a.) we don’t know each other, hence you haven’t been in SEA too long
    b.) you’ve hired me but I don’t know who you are
    c.) I know who you are but you haven’t hired me as you didn’t have the contracts
    d.)you are a dude who is just building PCB’s and renting out systems
    e.) the guys you pick and how much they get paid… were they paid a minuscule wage? Re: undercutting? OR are you in fact an ROV god?
    f.) you were never out of work in 18 years…. I would’ve said you didn’t have work in 1991 but that’s 19 years ago (I worked only 89 days that year & (back on topic) I didn’t drop my rate that year – didn’t even consider the idea!!!!)

Is it c. dude?

And yes, there’s been some guys new and old that have done just that – undercut to get work

BTW – electronics are not the "complete" system – there’s hybollocks and the clanky bits as well… Lots of systems are PLC / ethernet based. A WHOLE lot easier than what us old carunts (electronic / electrical) have woked on!!! Try an RCV-225 with the 10,000 pots!!!!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

….Tired of the same old crap here. Deactivating my account…..cya guys.

Good to see a few more posts from our Oz counterparts, telling it how it is, however I can see why they may well appear pissed off with the weak livered crap posted on here concerning rate cuts. It’s pretty obvious why the Oz ROV troops don’t take any shit either.

I swear the UK has gone to the dogs!! Where are all those people that built the nation in the first place?? Moved to Oz by the looks of it!!

I’m still gob-smacked that people actually think taking a pay cut is OK and then try to justify it on here. What’s that all about?
    The companies and agencies must be laughing all the way to the bank .. at your expense!

The Norwegian union (SAFE) are now looking at social dumping, aka cheap labour being used in Norway. They are not happy! The ironic thing is do you know who that cheap labour is? It’s UK ROV people in there undercutting Norwegian rates and screwing with agreed conditions such as trip length, overtime payments etc.

In the meantime those of you accepting these cuts are the ones undermining the rates in our UK industry. You should be ashamed of yourself! If you are indeed one of those people I suggest you move on and screw another industry.

Things are bad enough in the UK sector of the North Sea as it is (cheap foreign labour replacing UK based ROV trainees, riggers being replaced by Filipinos, project co-ordinators being replaced by Filipinos) without people taking rate cuts early in the season to get a jump on others! That’ll make for some interesting conversations on shift when it becomes clear who the guilty persons are.

I guess if you can depress the rates down to GBP£45/day they’ll be no need for any company to import cheap labour into the UK as they will be able to use the home grown version!! Filipinos will be able to earn more at home and no foreigner would ever want to work for a pittance in the UK sector again. That’ll show them!! NOT!

I give up…. almost!!!

regards
    James Mc

Robert Branch
    Participant

Is it only in the UK where the dayrates are being undermined?…Is the same thing not happening in Asia..I was under the impression that alot of the ROV companies in Singapore were using Indian,Filipinos etc on really low rates..?..So are the expats working in Asia still on good rates..Been years since Ive worked there,so thats why Im asking..

Robert Branch
    Participant

James there are some companies here in australia that are bringing in ROV personell through the agencies in the UK on half the dayrate the Oz lads are on and guess what I think its only the start as they are getting away with it,and its not hard.But here we go again,guess what its only happening in the ROV industry from what I can see..as usual…

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar