Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Take a pay cut or not??

Take a pay cut or not??

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Take a pay cut or not??

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    liddelljohn
    Participant

It would be nice if there were more agencies that were not UK based , of the 11 Agencies i regularly contact 8 are UK based and only pay in £UK and also create issues for UK non domicile expats .It would be better for us if there were more big non UK agency players .

me
    Participant

It would be nice if there were more agencies that were not UK based , of the 11 Agencies i regularly contact 8 are UK based and only pay in £UK and also create issues for UK non domicile expats .It would be better for us if there were more big non UK agency players .

Dont know about that, why not work direct do you "need" an agency

me
    Participant

one of the pilots i was working with last year was boasting on and on about his New BMW M5 and his new Toshiba Qausmio £3000 laptop at the same time complaining about his crippling mortgage and credit card debts , over the winter he has had the BMW repossesed and is hanging onto his house by his teeth …he is desperate for work and will probably go out for a pittance just to stay afloat.

What a damn idiot ….but there are lots of them.

Remember this one
    Well i will take work at SS7 even for less money as times are tough and work is work ,Its feast and famine …next year it will be a panic to get more work out and then rates will rise again.I still have bills to pay.
    love your turnaround, like a lot others here

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

one of the pilots i was working with last year was boasting on and on about his New BMW M5 and his new Toshiba Qausmio £3000 laptop at the same time complaining about his crippling mortgage and credit card debts , over the winter he has had the BMW repossesed and is hanging onto his house by his teeth …he is desperate for work and will probably go out for a pittance just to stay afloat.

Remember this one
    Well i will take work at SS7 even for less money as times are tough and work is work ,Its feast and famine …next year it will be a panic to get more work out and then rates will rise again.I still have bills to pay.

Liddle…

A comeback to this????? It is there in black and white… sorry, blue and white….

Robert Branch
    Participant

I am Australian based, and work in the ROV industry.

A couple of months ago I was contacted by one of the UK based agencies with regards to a contract being carried out in Australia by a UK based company..

Now as everyone in the industry knows the dayrates in Australia are governed by the MUA union for ROV personnel.
    So silly me I was expecting that this agency would be offering an Australian union agreed dayrate,where as in fact they were offering a dayrate in GBP that was 50% less than the agreed dayrate for ROV personnel…so needless to say I told them what they could do with their stupid offer politely.

So it seems this bullshit is being tried on here in Oz also…The thing that amazes me is this only happens in the ROV industry it seems, all other oil and gas related industries, mining etc personnel are treated well, paid well, no undercutting or any of that bullshit..

Can someone please tell me what the hell is it with the ROV industry?????

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I am Australian based, and work in the ROV industry.

A couple of months ago I was contacted by one of the UK based agencies with regards to a contract being carried out in Australia by a UK based company..

……….. they were offering a dayrate in GBP that was 50% less than the agreed dayrate for ROV personnel….

……Can someone please tell me what the hell is it with the ROV industry?????

On of the problems we have is lack of information flow. Who the perpetrators are and who the victims are. The companies rely on people not talking about it and not providing others with details. The more troops kept in the dark the better. If people don’t know the facts they too may get the same call and be unaware that they are part of a company campaign doing the rounds trying to suck people in.

Gradually people are starting to ‘name and shame’ but it’s an uphill struggle.

Maybe you could help us all by naming the agency and the ROV company involved. Also.. I hope you passed this information on to the MUA at the time. They need to know who is trying it on too.

regards
    James Mc

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Yeah , 🙂
    There are too many wannabes in the Industry and too many ROV companies trying to make quick Bucks.
    Me wrote

I for one ain’t changing my tune 😯
    I still mean what I say and say what I mean 😀

subman
    Participant

I have on my data base over 322 agencys world wide and thats just the ones that I know of ,There all fighting for the same work and there all under cutting each other in the hope of getting the work why do you think the first thing they ask you is " Whats your lowest rate "

Cheers

Subman

Robert Branch
    Participant

James I did contact the MUA in Australia on this matter and they are looking into it.All I can say is the agency involved was one of the major agencies in the UK,and the company I think was one of the big ex cable lay companies that have expanded big time….Cheers,sorry its all a bit vague….I for one am not going to put up with this bullshit any longer..I still ask this question what is it with the ROV industry,why are we looked down upon as mere labourers.Why does the ROV industry have a reputation of employing unskilled people,unlike other technical jobs in the offshore industry??.does anyone have the answer??.

liddelljohn
    Participant

Remember this one

Yes I did say that ……so maybe u can call me a hypocrite or worse ………..but when it came to the crunch i just could not go out for £110 a day less and so i refused them twice at the begining of last season …..they were really pissed off but In the end i had a good year and actually ended up on higher rates than 2008 ,and in August SS7 were begging me to work for them with no rate reductions ..but i was already working all summer for CTC on a higher rate anyway. I was not broke and always have a large financial cushion but other people dont have that option …and lets face it, the bills dont stop coming it must make one feel nervous even if you do have a sensible financial plan.

I will take my kicking with good grace .

liddelljohn
    Participant

In a past life i spent 20 years working contract in Telecoms worldwide and it was dominated by UK based agencies , the industry became so dog eat dog that 90% of those agencies have gone bust and the industry is dead as far as I am concerned .rates were higher in the 1980s, 1990s than by 2002 when i walked away .80% of my workmates in that industry permy and contract have left for new pasture or retired .
    In Telecoms the best agencies were not the UK ones but Norway ,Dutch and Canadian they payed higher rates and gave better service , but the British agencies in ROV seem dominant to me and recently a flood of newby wannabe agents some ex telecomm are coming into offshore work and bringing dubious practices .

I was emailed recently by a couple of ROV mates who have decided to leave the industry and they are not new guys ,so maybe there will be a thinning out in this lean time .

I am lucky in that all I need is 100 days work and i am well covered financially for a year , no mortgage , all the toys paid for ,just need to pay the bills and top up the pension funds.

Robert Branch
    Participant

I think theres a major agency in the UK who are offering 350 pounds per day for a pilot/tech to go and work in Australia for CTC…Thats a dayrate 50% less thatn the going Australian union dayrate.I wonder who would be desparate enough to work for this pittance in Oz..and wonder if the company would get away with paying this in Australia…

me
    Participant

I think theres a major agency in the UK who are offering 350 pounds per day for a pilot/tech to go and work in Australia for CTC…Thats a dayrate 50% less thatn the going Australian union dayrate.I wonder who would be desparate enough to work for this pittance in Oz..and wonder if the company would get away with paying this in Australia…

Hi
    I have had friends working down there for that company and the day rate was 370 but they did not pay tax, how they did it i dont know.

Robert Branch
    Participant

Im sure the Australian Tax Office would be very interested in this…

Robert Branch
    Participant

Me ….Were they Aussies or from the UK??

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar