Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Take a pay cut or not??

Take a pay cut or not??

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Take a pay cut or not??

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    me
    Participant

Me ….Were they Aussies or from the UK??

Not from OZ
    and not all from UK, lets say Europe

me
    Participant

one of the pilots i was working with last year was boasting on and on about his New BMW M5 and his new Toshiba Qausmio £3000 laptop at the same time complaining about his crippling mortgage and credit card debts , over the winter he has had the BMW repossesed and is hanging onto his house by his teeth …he is desperate for work and will probably go out for a pittance just to stay afloat.

What a damn idiot ….but there are lots of them.

Remember this one
    Well i will take work at SS7 even for less money as times are tough and work is work ,Its feast and famine …next year it will be a panic to get more work out and then rates will rise again.I still have bills to pay.
    love your turnaround, like a lot others here

Yes I did say that ……so maybe u can call me a hypocrite or worse ………..but when it came to the crunch i just could not go out for £110 a day less and so i refused them twice at the begining of last season …..they were really pissed off but In the end i had a good year and actually ended up on higher rates than 2008 ,and in August SS7 were begging me to work for them with no rate reductions ..but i was already working all summer for CTC on a higher rate anyway. I was not broke and always have a large financial cushion but other people dont have that option …and lets face it, the bills dont stop coming it must make one feel nervous even if you do have a sensible financial plan.

I will take my kicking with good grace .

Then dont call people names, as you see it can happen to anybody

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Im sure the Australian Tax Office would be very interested in this…

I can see some red flags being raised…. Perhaps some more auditors coming under employ for the Aus govt….

Andy Shiers
    Participant

You can call me names if you like 😀
    But I think you are a bunch of Tossers if you lower you’re day rate 👿
    Why don’t you go and do something different like……….. An electrician or Plumber or…………………………… Odd job man ! Hmmmm ?
    Then you can bring home less money for "your table" and still be with the Wife and kids everyday.
    Complete and utter IDIOTS come in to our Industry for the WRONG reasons. YOU are diluting the wage packet 👿
    If they are not prepared to give you a reasonable wage then you are not trying hard enough or not good enough !
    Do what you did before and change your proffesion. Get out 😯 Help the greater cause ……………………… Contribute to the greater good , Leave , Be a good samaritan 😯
    Help my Wage packet 😈

me
    Participant

You can call me names if you like 😀
    But I think you are a bunch of Tossers if you lower you’re day rate 👿
    Why don’t you go and do something different like……….. An electrician or Plumber or…………………………… Odd job man ! Hmmmm ?
    Then you can bring home less money for "your table" and still be with the Wife and kids everyday.
    Complete and utter IDIOTS come in to our Industry for the WRONG reasons. YOU are diluting the wage packet 👿
    If they are not prepared to give you a reasonable wage then you are not trying hard enough or not good enough !
    Do what you did before and change your proffesion. Get out 😯 Help the greater cause ……………………… Contribute to the greater good , Leave , Be a good samaritan 😯
    Help my Wage packet 😈

Lets say you use to work for 900 US + Bonus and you stop work for that company and move on, not many pay that day rate, then you start work for a body shop would you tell them not to call you before they can pay the same?
    Is it a pay cut if you say yes to 550 Pound? look like you think it is or???

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Lets say you use to work for 900 US + Bonus and you stop work for that company and move on, not many pay that day rate, then you start work for a body shop would you tell them not to call you before they can pay the same?

No matter which way you put it, people should not be agreeing to pay cuts. Nor should anyone be looking at likely scenarios (no matter how unlikely) that may makes the idea more palatable! I suspect that most likely only the guilty would consider doing that to make them feel a little better when they say yes to a crap rate.

If the bulk of offshore peeps stood their ground the rates would not go down. Unfortunately for our industry there now seems to be too many people around that would be more than happy to undercut the next man to get get work. In that case they are no better than the agencies trying to get work by accepting depressed rates from the ROV operating companies in the first place.

What I do see is, despite a relatively strong barrel, day rates are gradually taking a beating for no other reason than people are accepting them!

regards
    James Mc

James McLauchlan
    Participant

James I did contact the MUA in Australia on this matter and they are looking into it.

Good :tup:

All I can say is the agency involved was one of the major agencies in the UK,and the company I think was one of the big ex cable lay companies that have expanded big time….Cheers,sorry its all a bit vague….I for one am not going to put up with this bullshit any longer…

"the agency involved was one of the major agencies in the UK,and the company I think was one of the big ex cable lay companies"

I’m not singling out Surf91 in particular, but the days of pussyfooting around (in case you upset a company here or thereby mentioning their name in this forum) are long gone!

ROV/Subsea as group, is up against employers worldwide. Many are doing their best to not offer fair rates and conditions and yet people still seem not to want to redress the balance.

Guys… please ditch all this vague crap! It’s helping nobody. – Name the companies involved or we’ll all be clueless as to who is trying it on and who to steer clear of.

I think theres a major agency in the UK who are offering 350 pounds per day for a pilot/tech to go and work in Australia for CTC…Thats a dayrate 50% less thatn the going Australian union dayrate.I wonder who would be desparate enough to work for this pittance in Oz..and wonder if the company would get away with paying this in Australia…

"major agency in the UK"
    Thanks for the input…… still not naming the Agency though 🙁 Who is it?

This is for everyone.
    Firstly…. Gets some facts and call the MUA and Oz Tax Dob in line.
    CTC would full well know that they are undercutting MUA rates and UK guys should not even contemplate going over there on a rate 50% below the agreed rate.

That is no different than UK guys being pissed off that Filipinos are being brought into the UK sector by SS7 as ROV trainees – ‘Cheap foreign labour’ has been touted over and over elsewhere around this forum.

Well, if you are on of those UK guys accepting those rates for Oz then (to the Oz troops) you are nothing other than ‘cheap foreign labour’ and definitely need shutting down before you screw the Oz system with your undercutting ways!! Don’t complain on here if you are on the receiving end of the Oz tax man demanding his cut of your 50% day rate and get a shit reception form the Oz ROV crews to boot!

Talking of the Oz tax man… don’t believe a word spoken by any company manager/HR person that tells you your Oz tax is all taken care of and that you will be working in Oz tax free! You’ll lose out in the end.. and probably long after the contract is over. There are one or two around that can vouch for that.
    If the Oz tax man asks the ROV company/UK Agency to cough up personal contact information on you you they will.. in seconds… by email. There is no doubting that at all.

Name and shame the offending companies should be the game on here…. ROV rates are being undermined. The ROV companies/agencies are playing hard ball…. so play hard back!!.. or just roll over and take it!

regards
    James Mc

me
    Participant

No matter which way you put it, people should not be agreeing to pay cuts. Nor should anyone be looking at likely scenarios (no matter how unlikely) that may makes the idea more palatable! I suspect that most likely only the guilty would consider doing that to make them feel a little better when they say yes to a crap rate.

If the bulk of offshore peeps stood their ground the rates would not go down. Unfortunately for our industry there now seems to be too many people around that would be more than happy to undercut the next man to get get work. In that case they are no better than the agencies trying to get work by accepting depressed rates from the ROV operating companies in the first place.

What I do see is, despite a relatively strong barrel, day rates are gradually taking a beating for no other reason than people are accepting them!

regards
    James Mc

I understand very well, if i had to sit home and wait for a job to 650 £ then i would be sitting for a very long time, dont you think, maybe i would not be working this year, hands up guys what agency pay that right now?????

bt
    Participant

That’s the problem there is no set day rate???

Robert Branch
    Participant

Subserv Pro based in the UK are shit payers even for work in Australia..
    They offered me a rate a few months ago to work in Australia that was the same rate I was paid by them 4 years ago…So there you go agency exposed..

Robert Branch
    Participant

I for one am sick off this bullshit and Im sick of working with useless unskilled idiots…Im certainly looking at a new career in Oz,earning the same pay as ROV but working with skilled guys who stick up for each other.

Greg King
    Participant

Rumic have been undercutting the Australian workforce with a CTC job recently. Not to mention if you work for them apart from less money, no super payment, which is about 10% on Union Jobs.
    Lets keep this ball rolling.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

There… that didn’t hurt at all did it 😉

Good stuff! The more information we get on this the better the picture for all concerned. Thanks for the input from our Oz troops too :tup:

Robert Branch
    Participant

Also I do intend on pursuing this matter with the MUA and ATO…
    I work in Australia for companies that pay Australian dayrates,tax is high but Iam still left with more after tax than I would be if I worked for one of the useless agencies.I would not work for one of those agencies ever again unless they offered me Australian dayrates…I will tell you guys this I was on a job in Australia recently and ROV were the lowest paid out of all the professions offshore,excluding maybe stewards..Even trades assistants who may spend all day grinding welds down prior to inspection were on more that ROV personell….Divers were on heaps more……..I ask this question again what has gone wrong in the ROV industry??

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I will tell you guys this I was on a job in Australia recently and ROV were the lowest paid out of all the professions offshore,excluding maybe stewards..Even trades assistants who may spend all day grinding welds down prior to inspection were on more that ROV personell….Divers were on heaps more……..I ask this question again what has gone wrong in the ROV industry??

Probably need to start a new thread as that’s really another topic in its own right.

Take a pay cut or not??

Carry on……..

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar