Home Forums General General Board The Volcano Effect!

The Volcano Effect!

Home Forums General General Board The Volcano Effect!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

This will no doubt have impacted offshore operations already.

Are the choppers still flying out of Aberdeen?

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant
    Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Almost all helicopter flights to North Sea installations remain grounded today as the cloud of volcanic ash belching from the Eyjafjallajokull eruption continues to cause travel chaos across Europe.

Norwegian giant Statoil is the only operator able to fly out to platforms, but company spokesman Gisle Johanson said their flights were restricted to a small area stretching from Bronnoysund to Kristiansund.

Later in the day, Avinor extended the area open to flights as far north as Harstad, which will allow helicopter flights to and from Heidrun.

Johanson said that, for the interim, Statoil had cancelled crew changes, just as it does when heavy fog or bad weather prevents flights to installations in the Norwegian and North seas.

Output remains unaffected.

A company spokesman later told the Reuters news agency that Avinor has told Statoil to expect to resume flights to all North Sea installations from 2am Saturday, if the weather holds.

In the UK sector, flights to Chevron and Total installations remain grounded. No one from BP or Shell was immediately available for comment.

None reported any impact on production.

Operators declined to speculate on the affects a prolonged closure of airspace would have on their operations.

Meanwhile, the National Air Traffic Control Service (NATS) said that following a review of the latest Met Office information, it has decided to keep restrictions on English-controlled airspace in place until 0100 (UK time) Saturday, at the earliest.

It seems likely that commercial flights across much of Europe will be severely disrupted well into Saturday.

Much of the airspace across northern and western Europe has been closed and air control officials said about 17,000 flights would be cancelled today.

The UK, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Belgium and the Netherlands closed their airspace on Thursday.

France shut down 24 airports in the north of the country, including Paris-Charles de Gaulle, while Germany’s Berlin and Hamburg airports were also closed on Thursday evening. Frankfurt closed this morning.

The volcano, which lies underneath Eyjafjallajokull, erupted on Wednesday for the second time in a month, hurling a plume of ash 11 kilometres into the atmosphere.

The last volcanic eruption beneath the glacier was on 20 March. The volcano last erupted in 1821 – but that eruption continued for two years.

Iceland lies on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, the highly volatile boundary between the Eurasian and North American continental plates.

A real-time map tracking air traffic across Europe is available here.

Source: Upstreamonline.com

Sit Rep
    Participant

Meanwhile, the National Air Traffic Control Service (NATS) said that following a review of the latest Met Office information, it has decided to keep restrictions on English-controlled airspace in place until 0100 (UK time) Saturday, at the earliest.

Watch those Englishmen, there’s never a British air-space or UK air-space is there? It did say "National" so is that the English National Air Traffic Control Service or are they funded by UK tax payers!

Bloody Poms…

mctintin
    Participant

Watch those Englishmen, there’s never a British air-space or UK air-space is there? It did say "National" so is that the English National Air Traffic Control Service or are they funded by UK tax payers!

Bloody Poms…

Normally I would be first to agree with you, but they’re lifting the restrictions on some air travel in Scotland today, as long as you’re going west from Glasgow or Prestwick I think

JoeBolt
    Participant

UK airspace is in fact split into two broad geographical divisions for the purposes of ATC services. These are the London Flight Information Region and the Scottish Flight Information Region. The statement from the National Air Traffic Control Service might well have been factually correct, even if the terminology wasn’t quite right.

Cheers,
    Joe Bolt
    JAA CPL I/R (Multi Engine)

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Which sounds about right as there was a flight departure from Scotland to Canada today.

So it seems English Airspace was still shut down but Scottish wasn’t.

ROVRatt
    Participant

The volcano has had an effect on international crew changes as well. Crew living or transiting via Europe or the UK have been affected. US, South American, Canadian, Far East and other personnel transiting to West Africa via Europe are battling to reroute.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Groan 😕
    I , unfortunately am one of them !
    No crew change whilst the contract on but what happens when the contract finishes 😯
    Does the company then put you up in a hotel until flights are available ?
    8)
    The last time (1821) it erupted for two years !
    Gosh 🙄 two years in a hotel on pay 😀

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Bloody Poms…

😕
    You are right of course 😛
    The English space is in fact ruled by a Scottish twat called Brown 😀
    So , it should be Scottish Airspace ………. Hot Air and dirt ! 😯
    😆

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Groan 😕
    I , unfortunately am one of them !
    No crew change whilst the contract on but what happens when the contract finishes 😯
    Does the company then put you up in a hotel until flights are available ?
    8)
    The last time (1821) it erupted for two years !
    Gosh 🙄 two years in a hotel on pay 😀

If you’re still working for the company we know, then check the latest on "getting stuck" somewhere… USD 50.00/day!!!! Imagine that!!!

TEAMJBR
    Participant

Got up Thursday morning just drinking my coffee rubbing my eyes when phone rings "Are you travelling today? Is the volcano stopping you"
    Err what is this a joke have I got up on April the 1st again.
    Anyway sat here free weekend and more to come maybe. My back to back spitting volcanic venom down in West Africa waiting for his crew change. In 20 years I’ve not got this lucky, Im always the one on the other end plus its a week of my hitch rota too! Oh and the sky is blue not a cloud in sight and my mothers comming round to pick up the kids dropping them back off on Sunday so the GSXR beckons!
    I think I better check my Euro lottery ticket!!!!!!!!!!!

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar