Home Forums General General Board Things to come…?

Things to come…?

Home Forums General General Board Things to come…?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Allegedly
    Participant

How do peeps.
    Just a little heads up from a job ad on another site:

We are currently in need of the following personnel.
    For those who are available and willing to accept the below day rates, please send in your updated CV and certifications to cheryl@subnetservices.com. You may also call us at 44(0)8458692038.

Start Date: around June 2010
    Duration: 3 years
    Rotation: 2 months on/1 month off for Air Supv and CSWIP3.4U
    3 months on/1 month off for Divers.
    Work Scope: Underwater inspection, air diving work (18 meters depth)

Day Rates:

– Air Diving Supv – USD380.00
    – Assist Diving Supv – USD310.00
    – Report Coordinator 3.4U – USD320.00
    – Inspection Diver 3.2U – USD160.00
    – Inspection Diver 3.1U – USD140.00

Yes, I know this isn’t a diving site but what tends to affect one field will very often eventually, affect another, i.e. US. Even with my atrocious maths, this reads peanuts!!
    You can draw your own conclusions regarding the aims and intentions of the employers or to be specific, the agency advertising, which, as an aside, is also an ROV instructional establishment in the Philippines who clearly claim potential earnings of ‘up to $600per day for ROV Pilots’.
    Now, maybe they just don’t like divers or maybe this is the thin end being inserted slowly where the sun don’t shine.
    We’ve taken a lot of inspection stuff from the bubble heads ‘cos we’re cheaper but FFS, these are rates from the ’80s.

deepseacon
    Participant

Allegedly it has nothing to do with the Agency other than they are willing to be the Client of the so called Company who is willing to work at these Rates.

And while the Agent has a Office and Reg company in the Philippines it is a UK Company overall.

The Client is Egyptian.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

JUST SAY NO. SIMPLE!!!!

Steve Mutumbu
    Participant

Those rates are pathetic. I don’t know any divers that would work for that.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Those rates are pathetic. I don’t know any divers that would work for that.

There were divers in several parts of the world who worked for free, yes free, and received room & board, and the POSSIBILITY of getting a part one & 2 class from the companies screwing them….

liddelljohn
    Participant

There are Indian, Egyptian and Philipino Divers who will jump at those rates for sure .They will easily fill those positions .

James McLauchlan
    Participant

As a 3.1u Inspection Air Diver in 1985 (North Sea) my start pay was £75.00/day (North Sea NUS union agreed rates if I remember correctly).

At today’s exchange rate that is: $108.85/day
    Now USD$140.00 is on offer in the job ad… so an increase of $31.5/day after a quarter of a century! …and that’s not taking into account inflation!

Jump to Asia in 1990
    Out of Singapore as a CSWIP 3.2u diver I was getting USD150/day
    15 years later they are offering:
    Inspection Diver 3.2U – USD160.00

There are a few choice words I could use by way of summary but I will restrain myself.

liddelljohn
    Participant

ROV work is thin at the moment so i put word out to old contacts in UK Telcomms that i am available , a company called me last week with work , i did a contract for them last in 1999 at £22 per hour =£220 for 10 hour average day …..this time for same work they are offering £10 an hour =£100 a day but the cost to get there would be £20 so its not on and i told them so …they have lots of work on but no skilled staff . i told him pay the right money and you will get people , he said that to get the contract he had to cut his margins so low he cant afford to pay decent wages . he is not able to fulfill his contract with the staff he has …catch 22

subman
    Participant

If you think those Diver rates are bad have you seen theses for INW in Egypt

Job Title Diving Supervisor
    Job Location UAE
    Job Details -IMCA Ticket
    -CSWIP Certificate
    -5 Years Experience as Supervisor in inspection field (pipelines & Platforms).
    -Good Knowledge of Reporting Inspection .
    -Daily Rate 380 USD /day
    – Long Term job ( 3-5 Years ).

Job Location UAE
    Job Details -IMCA Diving certificate
    -CSWIP 3.2 U
    -3 Years experience as inspection diver after obtaining 3.2 U
    -Daily Rate 140 USD /day
    – Long Term job ( 3-5 Years ).
    Company Name International Marine Works

140 USD is 5.83 USD per hour £4.12 per hour Tescos pay £8.50 per hour and time and a half past 10.30 pm .

So if you thought we had a bad time think again .

Cheers

Subman

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

There are Indian, Egyptian and Philipino Divers who will jump at those rates for sure .They will easily fill those positions .

And the TMS’s will come back to the shops empty…!!!! 😆

Ray Shields
    Participant

Im sure they will, but as it is Divers they are talking about,not ROV, then they wouldn’t really care!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Im sure they will, but as it is Divers they are talking about,not ROV, then they wouldn’t really care!

To true Ray….

Allegedly
    Participant

I think the phrase, in divers parlance, is "open another box, this one’s f****d"
    Thanks for the replys guys and girls, glad only one missed the point.
    And on that note, having recently worked with collegues from the ’emerging world’ (as my more politically correct, non smoking bretheren might say), both in either a diving OR an ROV capacity, I only had to watch the clients’ reps’ reaction to the finish date receeding like a sex pests hairline, to see the writing on the wall.
    Which the client, or, to be more accurate, his accountants, will also eventually see.
    Or if you missed that, done quicker equals cheaper.
    To be serious for a mo, I’ve always been the foreign worker in someone elses country and am grateful for the way I’ve been well treated everywhere I’ve been (except by the English!) so this is not a dig at any nation in particular, merely an objective overview.
    And yes, scotbeve, I’ve seen that too, more times than I like and too recently for comfort.
    I’ve been asked to review CVs and letters,mainly from divers, where that was volunteered and I binned ’em straight away. Biggest culprits? Well, not one to point fingers but the so called ‘beautiful game’ or puffs world cup is there about now.
    Cheers by the way,
    Rob Carswell Official Crabbit Old Git. 8)
    Borrocks! forgot the spell checker again…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar