Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Trainee age limits

Trainee age limits

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Trainee age limits

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ray Shields
    Participant

Mspenz,

the biggest problem is that first and foremost you MUST have the relevant technical and relevant qualifications and experience.

Some people think doing a Training School course is all they need, some Training Schools try and make out that you need a certificate from them in order to get a job. Doing a 3 week course does not make you an ROV Pilot.

Students trained in-house are trained on the ROVs that the Company owns and runs. They are also trained over months, normally at least 6 months at Trainee level. Yes, I know that many companies also send people to some of the Training Schools, but that still does not mean if you do they course they will give you a job.

If there was a steady stream of trainees starting every few months, that would be fine. But a few years back when times were not so busy, trainee intake stopped, when business is slow, they stop recruiting, when times are busy they don’t have time to train people!

The problem is also that too many people are trying to chase too few positions quite a few people who think they should be an ROV Pilot do not have the correct skillset and think if they go to a Training School that will make up for it. Unfortunately, this means many well qualified and suitable people get lost in a sea of wannabies.

John Bridgett
    Participant

Mspenz,

the biggest problem is that first and foremost you MUST have the relevant technical and relevant qualifications and experience.

Some people think doing a Training School course is all they need, some Training Schools try and make out that you need a certificate from them in order to get a job. Doing a 3 week course does not make you an ROV Pilot.

Students trained in-house are trained on the ROVs that the Company owns and runs. They are also trained over months, normally at least 6 months at Trainee level. Yes, I know that many companies also send people to some of the Training Schools, but that still does not mean if you do they course they will give you a job.

If there was a steady stream of trainees starting every few months, that would be fine. But a few years back when times were not so busy, trainee intake stopped, when business is slow, they stop recruiting, when times are busy they don’t have time to train people!

The problem is also that too many people are trying to chase too few positions quite a few people who think they should be an ROV Pilot do not have the correct skillset and think if they go to a Training School that will make up for it. Unfortunately, this means many well qualified and suitable people get lost in a sea of wannabies.

Some of what you say, in fact, most of what you say I agree with, for me personally though I am one of the people who now has a trainee position. I do fear a negative attitude when I get offshore and some of that is protrayed on here, will my superiors consider me an assett or a threat?

So far as experienced people being pushed out because of trainees I feel you should ask yourself why this happens? Why would an employer risk machinery worth a colossal amount of money to a trainee?

Perhaps a searching question but I await your answer with interest.

J

Andy Shiers
    Participant

There is no age limit. You just have to have a relevant in date medical and survival cert. If you are older means you are wiser and more worldly meaning you know when to keep your mouth shut and listen and do as you are told even if the Supervisor is younger than you , He has the experience not you !
    ………………… Only kidding 😀 You will probably find a young guy , Cocky , inexperienced , throwing tantrums and just out of school running it……… You will fit right in 😆

Ray Shields
    Participant

Some of what you say, in fact, most of what you say I agree with, for me personally though I am one of the people who now has a trainee position. I do fear a negative attitude when I get offshore and some of that is protrayed on here, will my superiors consider me an assett or a threat?

So far as experienced people being pushed out because of trainees I feel you should ask yourself why this happens? Why would an employer risk machinery worth a colossal amount of money to a trainee?

Perhaps a searching question but I await your answer with interest.

J

Why would they indeed, but they do it all the time, its called taking a gamble, and hoping the experienced Supervisor will ensure everything goes ok! The trainee is only part of the crew, not sent out on his own.

Most of us work with Trainees most of the time, 99% of the time it is not a problem. The problems come when a Trainee thinks he is better than he actually is (sometimes big headedness, sometimes because he has done a Training School course and has been told he is a Pilot!), also some Trainees may be trainee with ROVs, but they may have 20 years experience in the Forces or industry.

You also get Trainees who stand and wait to be taught, they think they are keen and willing to learn once someone tells them what to do. On the other side, the experienced crew sees someone who cannot be bothered making an effort to learn so why should they waste their time telling them.

I do not feel that most of the experienced crew see Trainees as a threat (you will always get some!). Some vessels are sick to death of being sent Trainees (company owned boats are the easiest place to put new Trainees), and they can have a downer on them.

The important thing for Trainees to realise is having their turn making the coffee, filling the Killa Spray bottles, tidying the workshop, its all stuff we all did when we started, why should you be any different.

For me at least, the most important thing for a trainee is to want to learn, take an interest, do all the shitty wee jobs, and ask questions. Some trainees also have the wrong idea of what ROVs are. They are not all x box flying about the place, there is a boring, inventory taking, greasing side to do as well 🙂

Trainees obviously also want to get on the sticks and show all their superb flying skills from their 10 hours of operating a Falcon in a loch 🙂 They unfortunately need to understand that the Client is paying to get a job done, not for him to play with a new toy. Supervisors also get the blame if the job goes bad (or the Trainee loses the sub!), some are better at giving people a chance to do some flying than others.

Basically I think it comes down to the Trainee needs to get the trust of the crew, taking the rough with the smooth, getting into the tech manuals, doing the boring jobs, asking questions, realise you have to walk before you can run, then it will all work out fine in the end.

Probably see you out on one of the jobs soon (unless you’re on an FCV where you’re welcome to it :D)

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Yeah 😀

John Bridgett
    Participant

Probably see you out on one of the jobs soon (unless you’re on an FCV where you’re welcome to it :D)

So come on guys, whats wrong with Fugro and FCV?

My stance being a trainee is that I want to learn, I’m interested in all aspects and I know theres a lot I don’t know which will be resolved through experience. The electronics side of it I’m very comfortable with and I have spent years fault finding, designing control systems and writing software so in that area I can be hopefully a little further up the ladder.

My tea making skills are legendary so no problem there!

J

Stuart McDonald
    Participant

I think the views discussed here on trainees are pretty much the same what ever industry you are in whether it be off shore, retail etc.

My feelings are that you need to be proactive in what you do in order to learn more and be accepted.

Coming form a military background this is a big thing and can pretty much make or break your career when you are younger as reputations sticks.

John Bridgett
    Participant

I think the views discussed here on trainees are pretty much the same what ever industry you are in whether it be off shore, retail etc.

My feelings are that you need to be proactive in what you do in order to learn more and be accepted.

Coming form a military background this is a big thing and can pretty much make or break your career when you are younger as reputations sticks.

I agree, the only caveat as far as I can see is that some people seem to fear their positions and guard the knowledge rather than helping. I came across this 10 years ago when I did some sub contract work offshore, I hope it wont be the same this time around, I want to learn, I want to get involved and I want to be an assett. I know a lot but I’m sure theres a lot more I don’t know!

J

paul norman
    Participant

Back to original topic.

Just starting with SS7 as a trainee.
    12 on Training course, aged from 20’s to 50.
    All have strong technical backgrounds (RN/RAF, heavy electrics in factory enviroments, etc).
    Only 2 Have a ROV course under there belts.

Paul

Mike Spence
    Participant

Paul, can I ask what your background is ?

Thanks to everyone else for their reply’s (to Stuarts thread 😳 ). I totally appreciate that taking any form of private course will not guarantee a job but if you already have some of the relevant skills (which I feel that I have) then does this not show that the individual is showing a certain iniative to gain more knowledge prior to just turning up ? Granted, if for example an ex gents barber (I have nothing against barbers) ?! paid £12,000 for a course then wondered why he he was never invited for an interview 😆
    I’m not going to do a course as the cost is too prohibitive and far too much of a gamble at 48 to pack in my current job, however, I am going to take a one day introduction course so that I can ask sh1tloads of questions and get more understanding first.
    I would also like to talk ( I might be old fashioned but … ) with someone from HR on the phone to see if I am wasteing my time & effort but so far, several calls later with promises of call backs, nothing !! Email is fine but actual conversation can sometimes be more rewarding and motivating 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar