Home Forums General General Board UK oil exploration firm starts Falklands drilling

UK oil exploration firm starts Falklands drilling

Home Forums General General Board UK oil exploration firm starts Falklands drilling

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    bt
    Participant

Keep fishing????

Any vessel is a target of any country if they have the political will to go to war.

Woodchopper
    Participant

I believe its Fugro on the OG. It was SS7 previously.

With regards to the political debate, my view is that we never sacrificed 255 servicemen to put up with all this hot air from some third world South American country who continue to make white noise about the "malvinas". They should give up on their crusade, we have already repelled them once. I fail to understand how they believe the Falklands to be remotely Argentinian. Their only reason appearing to be the geographical proximity of the sovereign islands to their mainland.

Some liberal people may find my view narrow-minded, but that’s all it is…my view.

P.S. fingers crossed for finding large quantities of oil… £15 a share for DES and RKH within 2010!!

luckyjim37
    Participant

HMS Vanguard and Le Triomphant collided approximately 1 year ago in the atlantic both subs were on patrol and would have been operating in such a way that they would have been a very small sonar target. Also the heavy weather that night would have been a factor.

Neither of these boats would ever be within a couple of thousand miles of the war zone.
    The fact is the British attack submarine fleet although now becoming a little dated and in the process of being updated is still a very effective fighting force with the capability of deliveing an effective strike against other submarines, ships and now with the cruise missile capability also land targets.

If things do escalate it is good to see we can count on the US backing again………..not.

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Jim,

My understanding from an acquaintance in the MOD, is that they both knew there was another submarine in the area and were both "stalking" the other… There in lies the problem… SSBN’s do not stalk, they "Hide with Pride" and if in doubt, run away very, very, quietly… They are too valubable an asset to stalk another submarine, that’s what SSN’s are for.

Unfortunately I would have to agree that this time you would have to go it alone. Our current Commander in Chief appears to be a little shy about making national security decisions… maybe if the Argies were to attack, he might come to your aid under our NATO commitments, but then again, don’t hold your breath.

Woodchopper- Your comments are spot on. No need to apologize.

Chief

luckyjim37
    Participant

Without wanting to stray to far from the subject.

France do not tell other nato countries where its boats are patrolling hence the incident happened.

Also if the SSBN from the Royal navy had even thought there was another sub in the area it would have moved silently into the night.

Simple incident two boats occupying the same water area. Cause the french not wanting to share information and water area allocations with the rest of NATO.

The notion they were stalking one another is I suspect a cock and bull story.

What I dont understand is why America is not throwing some weight into this. Surely another source of Oil from a stable supply would be in the interest of such an overly oil dependant country such as the US of A.

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Jim,

Contrary to popular belief and what the BBC says, we didn’t go to war for oil (If we did, we’d have all of the Iraqi oil fields under our control…).

Our problem is that we have plenty of oil within our EEZ, the enviornmental wackos’s just won’t let us at it… It’s going to be pretty sad when China starts drilling for oil (for Cuba) 45 miles from our shore, and we can’t do the same…

You are correct that the French don’t play well with the rest of NATO… or anyone who isn’t Frecnh for that matter 🙄

The "stalking" came from a French report that said they had successfully tracked an Ohio class SSBN just before the collision. The US denied that claim and said they did not have an SSBN in the area…

Chief

Rabsky
    Participant

Well, well our great American cousins have f%+ked us in the arse again. Hilary Clinton has put her big fat foot in it by saying that the UK should talk about the Falklands with the Argies and the outcry has taken them by surprise!! When will they ever learn, why are Americans so dumb when it comes to international politics. Now Argentina has been bolstered by America sticking up for its perceived rights to the Falklands, this issue will now grow legs..thank you America

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Well, well our great American cousins have f%+ked us in the arse again. Hilary Clinton has put her big fat foot in it by saying that the UK should talk about the Falklands with the Argies and the outcry has taken them by surprise!! When will they ever learn, why are Americans so dumb when it comes to international politics. Now Argentina has been bolstered by America sticking up for its perceived rights to the Falklands, this issue will now grow legs..thank you America

Ostrich-type (head-in-the-sands) govt. has done it once again… oh boy! You’d think with actions such as these that Dick Cheney was still in the chair controlling the show….

James McLauchlan
    Participant

From the Telegraph Blog

There can be no doubt that Hillary Clinton has handed Buenos Aires a huge propaganda coup by backing Argentine demands for negotiations at the UN with Britain over the future of the Falklands. As I wrote earlier this week, this was a spectacular slap in the face for America’s closest ally at a time when thousands of British troops are fighting alongside the United States on the battlefields of Afghanistan. Unsurprisingly, Mrs. Clinton’s unilateral offer to act as a mediator has been emphatically rebuffed by London.

I cannot think of a move by Washington that could do more harm at this time to the Anglo-American Special Relationship than siding with Argentina, after the sacrifice of 255 British soldiers in the Falklands War in 1982. They laid down their lives to restore the freedom of the people of the Falklands, after the brutal invasion by the military junta led by General Galtieri.

Clinton’s poorly chosen words at a press conference alongside President Cristina Kirchner on Monday were both highly insensitive and hugely insulting to Britain. By siding with Argentina’s calls for negotiations over the Falklands, she openly undermined the British sovereignty over the islands, whose inhabitants wish to remain British and have never expressed any desire to be ruled by Argentina.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Other responses on the Telegraph Blog

I am calling for the end of the illegal imperialist colonial occupation of the Hawaiian islands. Hawaii needs to be returned to the native population.
    I say free Hawaii now.
    The plus side it invalidates Obamas right to be President once and for all.

So if a neighbouring country claims teritory as it’s own does that mean Mexico can demand Califonia, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona be returned to them, the wishes of the people in those states are of little consequence, hand them back I say.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Touche James! Too lazy to find and use the accent mark… 😳

microfish
    Participant

Who’s supplying ROV services?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

By way of helping those in need I read the whole thread on your behalf (just in case) and am pleased to advise your good self that it’s already been mentioned, as I supected.

No need for you to actually read the thread or bother to look further up this page as I have quoted the relevant text below….

I believe its Fugro on the OG. It was SS7 previously.

I hope my response meets with your immediate needs.

Would you like one or two sugars in your tea sir?

At your disposal at all times.

yours

ROVworld lackie!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

It could be one of those days 😉

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

😆 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar