Home Forums General General Board West Africa – Would you/have you worked there?

West Africa – Would you/have you worked there?

Home Forums General General Board West Africa – Would you/have you worked there?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Andy Shiers
    Participant

It’s like working in Glasgow Saturday night 😀

Anonymous

Hi Lost
    Ahhh, then i get it.

ROVRatt
    Participant

Deepdown:

Can i ask why you guys want to work a place where you need armed guard when you go to work, i dont get it, maybe i am the stupid one

The armed guards are only required onshore. Offshore is much safer.

Also I know of an ROV company that pays a substantial allowance to those prepared to work in West Africa. For newbies this is about 50% of their day rate.So a newbie can earn 1 1/2 times what he would earn in the North Sea for two days of being under an armed guard.

Considering the amount of guys passing through the armed guard phases and the number involved in incidents, there is a very low probability of the person being involved in an incident. The probability is likely less than that of being involved in a car accident in your home country or of being involved in an incident working in Glasgow on a Saturday night (Thanks Lostboy).

There are a lot of really irritating and inconvenient downsides though, already mentioned in this thread.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I seem to recall in the depths of my grey matter ( Not my hair Scott ! )
    That platforms also have a tendancy to be raided………………………… Offshore 😯
    Bare that in mind Pop Pickers 😕

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

It’s like working in Glasgow Saturday night 😀

Glaswegian love whisper instructions:

Grasp Bic ballpoint pen (Biro) in hand of most used (if remembered)…

Say the words (or try to pronounce the words.. ) Fit like Jimmie?? Close(ish)

Put said Biro (for the Ozzies, okay??) 90 degrees perpendicular to preferred ear of (soon to be) victim and slide at a rather high velocity into said ear whilst saying / stating local anemities into other (good) ear at a not so usual volume, the not so uncommon get FARQED MUTER FARQER

Farq yeah!!!! Whoops, yet another digression…

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Deepdown:

Can i ask why you guys want to work a place where you need armed guard when you go to work, i dont get it, maybe i am the stupid one

The armed guards are only required onshore. Offshore is much safer.

Also I know of an ROV company that pays a substantial allowance to those prepared to work in West Africa. For newbies this is about 50% of their day rate.So a newbie can earn 1 1/2 times what he would earn in the North Sea for two days of being under an armed guard.

Considering the amount of guys passing through the armed guard phases and the number involved in incidents, there is a very low probability of the person being involved in an incident. The probability is likely less than that of being involved in a car accident in your home country or of being involved in an incident working in Glasgow on a Saturday night (Thanks Lostboy).

There are a lot of really irritating and inconvenient downsides though, already mentioned in this thread.

Heh, heh…. go for it son!!! Got a will made out yet??? Got insurance —— oh yeah, what about that?? Read the fine print and good luck… P.S. – Bring your own Kevlar -ware companies don’t supply it – seriously!

Cabledog
    Participant

He He!!!!

Got a spare set of 4A kevlar here if you want it dude, size large!!! even got the bone dome. All nice and blue so you blend in 😳 😳

Be good
    Dog

Savante
    Participant

He He!!!!

Got a spare set of 4A kevlar here if you want it dude, size large!!! even got the bone dome. All nice and blue so you blend in

Screw the career choice that requires PPE designed to take a supersonic, armour piercing round ! 😯

Is it considered "bad form" with the "continentals" to shoot back – I read an account of a FPSO that got attacked in Nigeria – photographs were utterly horrendous and they beat the crew.

Accomodation main doors were gas-axed !

Anonymous

Hi ROVRatt
    Money is not everything, i will still say that its about 50% safer to work anywhere else in th world

Who want to work in WA when you can get paied 250S$ here in Asia 😆 😆

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

Hi ROVRatt
    Money is not everything, i will still say that its about 50% safer to work anywhere else in th world

Who want to work in WA when you can get paied 250S$ here in Asia 😆 😆

Dude,
    For that money I wouldn’t get out of bed, although I may fart in the general direction of the phone.
    Seriously, I would not work on a rig in WA for any amount of money. At least on a vessel you have a chance to evade and you know the conditions you’re going to be living in.

Regds

Monkey 8)

Stocking up up on jabs for Angola 😯

ROVRatt
    Participant

Hi Savante

Is it considered "bad form" with the "continentals" to shoot back – I read an account of a FPSO that got attacked in Nigeria – photographs were utterly horrendous and they beat the crew.

Please supply the links to the photos. Most interested. Thanks.

sniffamahoopa
    Participant

[Please supply the links to the photos. Most interested. Thanks.]

You’re not Max Mosely are you????

Meaning do you get a kick out of seeing poor sods getting a hammering.

Anonymous

Hi
    Nigeria gunmen kidnap expat pair
    News wires

Gunmen have kidnapped two foreign workers with a German construction company in the southern Nigerian oil city of Port Harcourt today, security forces have said.

"Two expatriate staff of Julius Berger were abducted at about 7 am (0600 GMT) this morning," said Rita Inoma-Abbey, a spokeswoman for the police in Rivers state to Reuters.

A spokesman for the military taskforce responsible for security in the state also confirmed the abductions but said the nationalities of the pair could not immediately be ascertained.

Julius Berger is the Nigerian unit of Bilfinger Berger, Germany’s second largest builder.

Have a nice trip……..

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Well Well , There’s a surprise 8)
    Happy hunting 🙂

SpearROV
    Participant

I wouldn’t work there for all the tea in China…………….. Bas business that 😕

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar