Home Forums General General Board What is the minimum safe crewing level for a Work Class ROV

What is the minimum safe crewing level for a Work Class ROV

Home Forums General General Board What is the minimum safe crewing level for a Work Class ROV

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Black
    Participant

Why is ok to have 2 people on a eyeball and not on a workclass system (I am talking a basic drill rig support with a good LARS)

The eyeball people still get left alone during meal breaks etc

liddelljohn
    Participant

DEPENDS ON HOW BASIC THE ROV IS AND WHAT COMPANY AS SOME ARE DOGS AND 3 GUYS ARE NEEDED TO KEEP THE PIG RUNNING,WHILST OTHERS ARE A DODDLE.

PS.. I AM NOT SHOUTING MY KEBOARD IS SHITTY

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Why is ok to have 2 people on a eyeball and not on a workclass system (I am talking a basic drill rig support with a good LARS)

The eyeball people still get left alone during meal breaks etc

The debate is not about Eyeball systems.. it’s about Work Class systems.

The fact that eyeball people may be left alone for meal breaks doesn’t make it right. If the one person (alone) injured themselves and nobody noticed for half an hour what do you think the recommendation of the inquiry would be? I would place a bet that they would recommend that nobody should be left alone in that type of work environment. It the same ruling that applies on many rigs to people working in workshops.

Back to work class – How about:
    A vessel is working around well-head and there is only one person with the system. The sub dies and hooks under a critical item on the well-head. Who is going to attempt to recover the vehicle/tms and co-ordinate the operation including vessel moves. A situation like that could go from bad to worse in the time it took you to call (on the phone) the only other person on you shift who happens to be at lunch. You need a team to resolve problems like this and one person is not a team no matter how you look at it.

Not only is that a safety concern it could prove to be expensive asset wise… by asset I mean all subsea assets plus the vessel.

So…. on the one hand there is BP making billions of profit (as per recent announcements) and lower down the food chain we are debating safety verses cost which is what this is all about at the end of the day.

If someone could put the case forward for safety not being compromised by dropping a work class team from 3 to 2 (covering a 12hr shift) please put your case forward because it has to be safer to run with a team of three rather than a team of two. In fact it would be nice to see an ROV ops manager, who knowingly allows work class systems to be operated with just two people, justify the safety case. I assume that they would have in place a safety case to support their decision.

best regards
    James Mc

James McLauchlan
    Participant

PS.. I AM NOT SHOUTING MY KEBOARD IS SHITTY

OK 😉

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I do feel that there should be an agreed minimum manning level though.
    If for nothing other than safety reasons.

ROVRatt
    Participant

I am on a work class system and our minimum crewing level is 3 crew per 12 hour shift.

When the vehicle is out of TMS/Cage the minimum crew in the van is two. One may go to the toilet, lunch etc. In critical operations though, such as when using the manips or navigating in a complex field, 3 have to remain in the van.

When in TMS/Cage at depth 1 competent person may be in the van.

When launching/recovering or using the LARS/winch, 1 person must remain in the van with 2 on deck.

I work for a company that comes in for some flack on this forum and is often mentioned with disdain. Maybe some jealousy?

Stephen Black
    Participant

The main thing is we are have an intersting discussion

Anonymous

HI
    Why dont you tell us what company, OI maybe?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The main thing is we are have an intersting discussion

…..and interestingly, in the poll, there are a couple more people having voted who consider 2 persons enough to run a work class system safely.

Overwhelmingly though a three person crew seems to be the accepted norm thankfully.

Savante
    Participant

3 should be a minimum for work class for sure – sorry I took the thread on a tangent!!

are you investigating minimum standards/accepted practise and operational agreements for operators James ??

Ray Shields
    Participant

I’ve never seen anyone use less than that.

Oh, apart from the Egyptians who wanted to use 2 per shift with one floater!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Ray,

Your APAC division has done with 2…

James McLauchlan
    Participant

3 should be a minimum for work class for sure – sorry I took the thread on a tangent!!

are you investigating minimum standards/accepted practise and operational agreements for operators James ??

Good question.
    The answer is Yes. The results will be duly noted and included in the draft ROV industry agreement where required.

Something needs to go in the agreement (currently being worked on) in a similar manner to the divers agreement for minimum manning for dive teams (Although, if my memory serves me correctly the HSE covers that in Law for divers). There is no law covering ROVs and it unlikely there will be so we need to ensure that is included into our agreement also. In it’s current form the ROV industry agreement it’s about 12 pages long!
    On system minimum manning levels I have already added what I believe to be accepted standard practice (for all types of ROV) by way of a balance between safety and commercial considerations.

I make no apologies for the draft ROV industry agreement not being developed out in the open as it is the RMT that are working on this along with RMT members. We do need support in that respect, so rather than hope that we pull it off to the benefit of all in the industry why no come along for the ride and join the RMT. Then you can add your bit to help develop the agreement.

There will be further similar type polls going up over the coming months to help us further develop the agreement.
    Even if you are not prepared to join the RMT or cannot for other reasons.. financial, location etc. your input into he polls and discussion threads will be most appreciated and will be put to good use.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ray,

Your APAC division has done with 2…

Who are APAC? They sound foreign and nothing surprises me with foreigners 😀

Ray Shields
    Participant

There is no law covering ROVs and it unlikely there will be so we need to ensure that is included into our agreement also.

Yes there is:-

Health & Safety At Work Act
    Provision of Use of Work Equipment
    Control of Substances Hazardous to Health
    Lifting Operations & Lifting Equipment Regs
    Electricity at Work Regs

+ many others.

Having a 2 man operation of workclass vehicles could cause a breach in any of these. Its just that people moan but do not make official complaints or grievances.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar