Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Which HNC – Electronics – Mechatronics – Hydraulics?

Which HNC – Electronics – Mechatronics – Hydraulics?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Which HNC – Electronics – Mechatronics – Hydraulics?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    markno1
    Participant

I am fairly sure of taking the plunge and doing a HNC course this coming September to get into the ROV industry.

However i am not too sure which of the following courses would be best to do, and most likely to open a door into the industry

– Mechatronics HNC
    – Electronics HNC
    – Hydraulics HNC

I was thinking a Mechatronics course as this will cover more but wont be as in depth.

If anyone knows of any specific courses at any UK schools please let me know.

elad1986
    Participant

what do you enjoy more? What do you more of an interest in?
    Electronics, Hydraulics or mechatronics?

markno1
    Participant

Im of the opinion that its best to get the most suitable qualification to get the first job as opposed to what is the most enjoyable.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I would say Electronics – mainly because hydraulics wont help much for work with Eyeballs therefore limiting the vehicles you could work on.

Mechatronics is such a new (ish) qualification a lot of people (i.e. the people who will be looking at your CV!) dont actually know what it means or consists of.

In fact HNC Electrical/Electronics if there is such a thing. These days hardly anyone repairs down to component level offshore, so you dont need such detailed electronics. You do need to know about switchgear, heavy electrics, earthing etc.

Steve
    Participant

Mechatronics

TheBaron
    Participant

Mechatronics….all the way to the bank. 😉

Ray Shields
    Participant

Never trust anyone who says they are both mechanical and electrical – it means they know feck all about either 😀

elad1986
    Participant

Markno1,
    Electronics is the most suitable for the ROV profession. I agree with Ray in terms of having stating both hyd & elron. Mechatronics is a really handy area which relates directly to ROVs but you must be careful how you describe your qualification.
    So assuming you are doing a degree it will still be another 3 or 4 years before you start out in ROVs. So start getting some contacts together and do some work experience.
    g.l

Kalbo
    Participant

Markno1
    If your not bothered about what course you do I would say mechatronics, it will give you an insite to both sides if you want to carry your studies further in one field or the other and hopefully a chance when you go looking for work, but remember you’ll have 2 years of the course to do, what if you shall not enjoy a specific area of the course!?!?
    I know a guy taken straight on after doing 2 years HNC Mechatronics.

RovMac
    Participant

Why not consider doing an HND specifically in Mechanical or Electrical engineering both would give you a good base in a wide range of subjects, and give you decent undertanding eng’ drawings which is essential for electrical, hydraulic and electronics just to get to grips with the basics.
    But practical experience of some sort is essential as some/all courses are lacking in the practical side of things.
    All the best anyway!! 🙂

markno1
    Participant

Thanks for the responses, though the opinions seem to be spread fairly evenly on which course is most suitable.

I have spoken to Dundee and Moray colleges about HNC Mechatronics, they have both said it is about 18-20 hours a week and are very practical/hands on, both courses are geared towards a career in the ROV industry with students who have completed the courses being able to walk straight into a job (im sceptical of such claims).

I am looking for a HNC in whatever subject as it is only one academic year if you do it full time (or 2 yrs for part time), as i believe most appropriate skills are learned on the job as opposed to in the classroom with a HND or Bsc being another 1-2 years studying which (a) im 33, and i couldnt afford to study for this amount of time, and (b) wouldnt have the aptitude for as i prefer learning by doing as opposed to classroom studying.

What Elad1986 said about making contacts is an essential part of my plan, i will be making my decision on which course in the next few weeks, once accepted would it be feasible to get a job in a ROV repair warehouse for a couple of days a week whilst studying?

Ray Shields
    Participant

I know a guy taken on with very little qualifications but having just completed a training school program.

I know a guy who got taken on who was a digger driver.

I also know a guy who was taken on and he was a prison officer in Peterhead!

Getting a job in ROVs doesn’t mean you are capable of doing it 😀

Ray Shields
    Participant

both courses are geared towards a career in the ROV industry with students who have completed the courses being able to walk straight into a job (im sceptical of such claims).

What Elad1986 said about making contacts is an essential part of my plan, i will be making my decision on which course in the next few weeks, once accepted would it be feasible to get a job in a ROV repair warehouse for a couple of days a week whilst studying?

Firstly no, dont believe anyone who says you can "walk" into an ROV job – there are hundreds of people out there who have been trying for some time now and not managed it yet!

You are not likely to get a job with any ROV company "for a couple of days a week" in any of their workshops Im afraid. You will have to decide whether you do a course full time, or attempt to get a job in engineering and do the classwork Distance Learning or night classes.

markno1
    Participant

I know a guy taken on with very little qualifications but having just completed a training school program.

I know a guy who got taken on who was a digger driver.

I also know a guy who was taken on and he was a prison officer in Peterhead!

Getting a job in ROVs doesn’t mean you are capable of doing it 😀

I see what youre saying there can be many routes into the industry but staying the course is not done by everyone.

Whilst just doing a HNC is kind of cutting corners to get into the industry i am hoping it would create a more solid foundation then getting in through the backdoor so to speak.

Kalbo – Out of curiosity how is the guy who had the HNC in Mechatronics getting on.

rayshields – and are the 3 people that worked in unrelated jobs still managing to find work.

If i didnt manage to get a job right away i have a strong sales background after running what was a successful overseas property company, and id be fairly sure a HNC in Elec/Mech/Eng would enable me to sell something that is less underhand then off plan property in the latest overpriced/overbuilt hotspot.

Ray Shields
    Participant

rayshields – and are the 3 people that worked in unrelated jobs still managing to find work.

If i didnt manage to get a job right away i have a strong sales background after running what was a successful overseas property company, and id be fairly sure a HNC in Elec/Mech/Eng would enable me to sell something that is less underhand then off plan property in the latest overpriced/overbuilt hotspot.

Yes, they are all still employed.

Just having an HNC with no previous technical experience you would still struggle to get the job. Overseas property company would not really help you 😀 There are many (MANY!) technically experienced people/ex Forces people looking for jobs in ROVs. In the main, they are the ones who get them. Sure, the occasional other person gets them as well, but its more of right place at the right time or knowing somebody.

I know people on here get sick of hearing it, but ROV people have to be technical, they have to have come from a technical background (qualifications and experience).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar