Home Forums General General Board would you consider this job to be in a WAR zone???

would you consider this job to be in a WAR zone???

Home Forums General General Board would you consider this job to be in a WAR zone???

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    paul kotkowicz
    Participant

hello everybody… once again, i am after your advice…

i have my flight to dubai tommorow, we are working on the second phase of this project…

http://www.mandusc.com/downloads/pdfs/MUSC_SV_explosive-ordnance-disposal_case-study.pdf

its my 1st job offshore and i have been given the job title of "offshore operator/mechanic" my day rate is £180 per day! should i be asking for more money? or just take it on the chin because its my 1st job?

i will be responsible for deploying and recovering MFE tools and babysitting the water pumps/hydraulic pumps we will be using and fixing anything that breaks down!

the company i am working for are known for not paying that well…

what do you guys recon???

Mark DuPriest
    Participant

It appears you accepted the job so the time to negotiate for more money is past.
    You made an agreement and now you need to fulfill it or reap the consequences.
    As to whether the rate is appropriate that I can’t opinion on except everybody must judge for themselves given their opportunities, experience, abilities and the market…..then do their best and hope you live up to your rate.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

That’s an extremely low rate…. minimum wage onshore rate I should say. Why not work in a garage repairing autos? You would be making heaps more money!

paul kotkowicz
    Participant

avarage pay for a mechanic in uk is around 300-500 per week… offshore its much better pay.

the company i am working for havent told me that wer working in iraq, they said we are working out of kuwait and will be digging up unexploded ordanance..

it was only after my flight was booked, that i seen who the client was and when i went on there website, there are details on the job.. which is in iraq..

so i could get on my way to the airport and call them up on the way and let them know how i feel about it.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

avarage pay for a mechanic in uk is around 300-500 per week… offshore its much better pay.

the company i am working for havent told me that wer working in iraq, they said we are working out of kuwait and will be digging up unexploded ordanance..

it was only after my flight was booked, that i seen who the client was and when i went on there website, there are details on the job.. which is in iraq..

so i could get on my way to the airport and call them up on the way and let them know how i feel about it.

Sorry,

Didn’t realise it was that low… I retract that statement above and replace it to – "Go on the dole or have a girlfriend do so" as I’ve heard some horror stories from people that actually work and pay taxes in the UK. Why… just look at the baby makers – they’re getting heaps…. (my country as well mate!)

paul kotkowicz
    Participant

lol… £130 every 2 weeks on the dole,, been on it for 2 months 😛

NOT ANYMORE!!!! and hopefully i will do enough days on this job to get tax free 😀 its estimated to take between 100 and 190 days.

just need to get this 1st job out of the way really, get something on my CV, then i can start being fussy about where i work and how much i get

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

lol… £130 every 2 weeks on the dole,, been on it for 2 months 😛

NOT ANYMORE!!!! and hopefully i will do enough days on this job to get tax free 😀 its estimated to take between 100 and 190 days.

just need to get this 1st job out of the way really, get something on my CV, then i can start being fussy about where i work and how much i get

Yeah, I guess you’re the wrong gender (there’s still the girlfriend scheme you can con them with!) – and you seem to be keen!

liddelljohn
    Participant

NO…its not a war zone ..we did similar stuff in Baltic 2 years ago targeting ,identifying old bombs, mines and ordanace left over from 1st,2nd world war and cold war , loads of it which was then destroyed by explosives .

BUT your rate of pay is aweful even for a newby .They are taking the piss

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

NO…its not a war zone ..we did similar stuff in Baltic 2 years ago targeting ,identifying old bombs, mines and ordanace left over from 1st,2nd world war and cold war , loads of it which was then destroyed by explosives .

BUT your rate of pay is aweful even for a newby .They are taking the piss

Once again… Agreed.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The day rate is rubbish. Not much else to say on that, although Lucas has a point in that… You have accepted that rate so take it on the chin and do the job. Next time around try to negotiate a better rate before the event.

If it gets you off the dole that’s progress at least.

Good luck :tup:

paul kotkowicz
    Participant

i am taking it on the chin.. i got 20mins until i board my flight to dubai..

wish me luck everyone 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar