Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner A moment of your time please.

A moment of your time please.

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner A moment of your time please.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Daniel foxley
    Participant

Hello all,
    I have been reading all the great discussions and information on this site for several months now, so thank you to all it is a great help to wannabes like myself.
    I have searched around and found a great many answers to my questions, But! As I am currently about to start applying for Trainee positions now I would just like your opinion on my chances with my skill set.

1. High level passes GCSE in engineering workshop theory and practice, information technology and combined sciences.
    2. Time served traineeship as an mechanical/auto electrical technician.
    3. Time served apprenticeship as an electronic security engineer.
    4. 17 years first line fault finding within electrical, electronic, mechanical, hydraulic systems to board/ component levels.
    5. City and Guilds in mechanical/ auto electrical repairs.

For the last 14 years I have worked my way up a national electronic security company from apprentice to chief engineer.
    Some of my areas of work include:
    Installation, maintenance and repair of CCTV systems, DVR’s, multiplexers, monitors, infrared low light systems, digital telemetry control systems, low level light cams, SIT, CCD and pan tilt soon cams.
    Intruder alarm systems including an array of different detection sensors.
    Fire alarm systems including hydraulic smoke ventilation systems.
    PC controlled and fully networked access systems including electrically operated doors.
    Hydraulic gate and barrier systems with on site strip down and rebuild.
    Domestic and commercial electrical installations and extensions only up to 240v.
    Data networking, CAT 5 telecommunication systems, data cabinets, control racks and wireless equipment.
    GPRS signalling systems.
    I have my offshore medical and am booked on to the ROV course with MTCS in march.
    Any comments on additional requirements I may need would be most welcomed.

Thank you in advance

dan

Ray Shields
    Participant

Yes, you have a good chance. Have you applied for any Trainee positions before shelling out for the course?

Daniel foxley
    Participant

Thanks Ray, yes I have applied for several trainee positions, but haven’t managed to get an interview yet! I have talked with a few ROV managers who say a lot of positions at the moment are going to RAF avionics tec’s. So, I am pulling out all the stops and investing my money in myself in the hope that it will give me just a little more help attaining an interview. I totally understand and go with what the fact that 10 days training and 10 hours flying is nothing and would never call myself an ROV Pilot after doing it. (same in my industry you can do a course but it’s daily exposure and progressive training that gets you there.) But, I really really want to join my brother in law offshore so I am willing to pay.

Thanks for your comments Ray.

Daniel foxley
    Participant

I take my hat of to you Ray, you were right about the above.
    Had an interview and offered the job today!
    I’m over the moon.
    Thanks for your words

Al hiscock
    Participant

Congratulations, great news. I’ll keep trying and maybe get a similar break. Hope it all goes well for you.

Daniel foxley
    Participant

Thanks Albert, I appreciate that. All the very best of luck to you, keep going and keep in touch.
    What’s your background?

michael kilby
    Participant

Who did you get in with, if you dont mind me asking.

If you’d prefer to private message to he answer I’d understand.

Mick

Al hiscock
    Participant

Hi Dan,
    Background is 26 yrs avionics tech, first line aircraft work, depth aircraft maintenance & sub system fault diagnosis. Since leaving RAF ive been working in food/drink industry maintaining & fixing an automatic bottling & packaging plant. Got OND electronics & HNC telecommunications engineering.
    Attending MTCS next month, though may have been better doing 17th edition or something. Will see how it goes.
    Cheers,
    Albert

michael kilby
    Participant

Albert,

I’m ex avionics army and looking for a trainee position.

Welcome to the hard slog of finding a start!

Only been looking for 6 months myself. Made some good contacts, was shortlisted for a phone interview recently, but not got my toes through any doors just yet.

If I get any joy I’ll let you know any info. Would be nice if you’d be ablebto do the same

Mick

Al hiscock
    Participant

Hi Mick,

Will update you should I get some information that might help.

An ex work colleague is with Canyon at the moment, he’s making enquiries. Going to catch up with him in next few days as he’s back in UK for 3 weeks.

Atb
    Albert

Gary Wheat
    Participant

I take my hat of to you Ray, you were right about the above.
    Had an interview and offered the job today!
    I’m over the moon.
    Thanks for your words

Congratulations Dan. There is hope for us wannabes yet. Well done.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar