Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner A Rookie looking for more advice. lost cause!!

A Rookie looking for more advice. lost cause!!

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner A Rookie looking for more advice. lost cause!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dave Eyre
    Participant

Well this is my seventh post my third read 100’s times generated loads of great advice and i’ve taken on all of it bar knocking on doors as the money ran out and i had to try working for a living, doing some medical equipment contract work.

So I’m back to go down the same a very well trodden route on the forum but I’ve read the Rookie forum and although helpful in oh so many ways, I’m still finding it difficult to get a foot in the door not even a toe as it stands.

I’m not in the belief I’m a Pilot Tech I/II, I’m of the belief I’ve completed an intro course (MTCS) a foundation on which to build a possible career if I’m ever given the opportunity.

With 20 years experience, I believe the prerequisite tech background?

Generators, switch gear, motors, hydraulic units, air conditioning units, plc controlled, conventional electronics controlled, industrial electrical as well as electronics down to component level.

NVQ L3 – Electronic & Electrical Engineering
    C&G Electrical and Electronic competences
    C&G 17th Edition IEE Regulations
    C&G Handling of refrigerants
    C&G Engineering craft studies
    UKOOA (OGUK) & OLF Medical till 2011
    Bosiet & OLF till 2013
    Medical and Dental equipment training
    High Voltage (100KV+), Fibre Optic, PLC, Hydraulic, Pneumatic Experience

For the latter I’m not just talking about the MTCS course I have actually worked and I’am proficient in all the above.

I am totally committed to perusing a career in the ROV Industry and I’ll do whatever it takes to get a foot in the door. but had to take other work just to keep going.

so any recruiters or ROV PM’s of or companies that may be willing to give an Ex Service man even a trial of any type at all would be greatly appreciated. Ill work anywhere to get experience just on shore off shore anyone looking for a very hard worker please get in touch.

I know I’ve very little experience on ROV systems,(6 hours on a toy as you guys see it!) but wouldn’t an experienced electrical engineer who’s worked on equipment as old as carbon pile regulation and as new as the latest medical X-ray be usefull to an ROV team?

If that’s not the case please let me know? I’ll just give up now!

Thanks One and all just for taking the time to read.

All advice welcome. if your willing to take a look at my cv i will send it to you if you PM me

Des_b
    Participant

Hi Hyat,

Its not that you dont have the qualifications or the experience. The majority of the companies all run their budgets to the tax year (usually) and its the time of year when the budgets are running tight and they are trying not to spend any dosh on anything if they can help it (including tyraps etc). If they do take on personnel its will be experienced crew or management. It also seems that quite few companies are seeing fit to only take on local trainees (ie Indian, chinese etc) depending on where the company has its offices as they can pay them alot less than a western trainee (and for all the tree huggers its a fact). It will bite them in the arse later on…and thats not a drip its another fact 😆 "cereal box" degrees in electronics work wonders on a cv!!

But such is life…agencies start recruiting around mid Feb – March I think, and the companies will probably start taking on trainees around that time as well. So if your set on doing rov work, just keep trying.

Cheers

Micbeth
    Participant

I am totally committed to perusing a career in the ROV Industry

Hyatt, please don’t take this the wrong way, but if I saw this statement in an application letter I would probably get the impression that you like to use big words that you don’t know the meaning of and then stereotype you. It is probably a typo or a wrong selection using your spell checker, but using peruse instead of pursue in a sentence like this could make the difference.

Small picky point, but as your quals and experience look great, small things like this could make a difference. Attention to detail is important in this industry.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Micbeth is not being overly picky because, when I read that post, is was the screw up on English that I picked up on before anything else.
    Attention to details helps in my mind.

K2
    Participant

Hyat

Also try not to sound so desperate. A CV is a fact sheet which is the easy bit I would hope! The accompanying letter is very important as this attracts an employer to your CV so keep it matter-of-fact. Employers aren’t looking for desperate people they want good level headed personnel so be cautious in your writing and don’t send out your cv to anyone who PM’s you either!

Good Luck

Toon
    Participant

You not the only one Hyat…. I’m also trying to get my toe in the door… I just hope that if you commit yourself fully you’ll get in…

Just wanted to spin James out….

….is not being overly picky because, when I read that post, is was the screw up on English that I picked up on before anything else.

Funny old language this English hey…. is or isn’t it…. can happen before you even know it hey… 🙄

Anyway….

Later

Anonymous

Hi
    It is very quiet now (its Dec) if you dont know anybody its hard to get a work right now

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Hi
    It is very quiet now (its Dec) if you dont know anybody its hard to get a work right now

Yaay!!! Time for a break dude!

Anonymous

Scot
    To late already up in the cold Europe working

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Scot
    To late already up in the cold Europe working

Enjoy the weather…. And WEAR YOUR MITTENS!!!

Kidd57
    Participant

I have worked for some great ROV supervisors, however, a few of them couldn’t spell to save their souls. One in particular, can’t spell or punctuate worth a crap, and half his sentences are incomplete. Thus perfect writing is only one element, not THEE end-all requirement for working in this field. Though I agree, one should send in a resume only after having another set or two of eyes check for such things.
    I have also worked for some supervisors who couldn’t find their *ss with both hands and one has to wonder how many times they got on their knees for the grand annointening. Its either that or they got a pic of the OM doing a barnyard animal. God only knows.

Hey… lets have a spelling bee!

David Stevens
    Participant

I have worked for some great ROV supervisors, however, a few of them couldn’t spell to save their souls. One in particular, can’t spell or punctuate worth a crap, and half his sentences are incomplete. Thus perfect writing is only one element, not THEE end-all requirement for working in this field. Though I agree, one should send in a resume only after having another set or two of eyes check for such things.
    I have also worked for some supervisors who couldn’t find their *ss with both hands and one has to wonder how many times they got on their knees for the grand annointening. Its either that or they got a pic of the OM doing a barnyard animal. God only knows.

Hey… lets have a spelling bee!

He is right on the money there. The last office asset coordinator I had could not write to save his life. I swore I was getting emails from Yoda. But when you’re the HR drone that looks over countless CVs day in and day out you look for stand outs. There are two categories: "call this guy" and "this guy’s an idiot". If they have to reread a sentence because of a glaring typo, your cv will stand out, but not in a good way. Just a tip from a guy who was recently promoted to supervisor and used to have to look over CVs all the time when I had a normal land job. I have round filed a resume because his cover letter was so bad I thought it should have been written in crayon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar