Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Advice

Advice

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mick
    Participant

I am looking into getting into the ROV industry, I have mechanical and brief experience of working on Tug boats and dumb barges, welding, electrical, hydraulics, etc, etc. I have signed up for a course at Fort William in Scotland which is starting in July this year, but I still have my doubts. As the course costs so much money, I am concerned about life after the course, what are the real chances of getting employment as a complete novice. Also is there anyone out there who has done their training at Fort Bill? What are they like? Is this worth shelling out all this cash for? Any advice or helpful comments will be much appreciated. Thanks

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Mick , not wanting to upset you in any way but …………………………
    have you tried reading the other posts ?
    Your question is asked more or less every month ! and if you bother to look at the posts relevant to your question you shall see which way you ought to go !
    It’s like reading the manual 😯
    Good luck

pictish
    Participant

Unless you have already payed for the course heres someone in aberdeen which covers the same techy side of stuff at 1/10th of the price
    tullos training.
    The only bonus to teh course in fortwilliam is your actually working with rovs but with the savng you could get the techy side nvqs -a nvq level 2 in engineering practice, hydraulics course,electronic fault finding course, H&S related working with electricty course and your offshore certs/medical certs and still have 5k left to subsidise your first years lower wage rates. Most companies have their own inhouse training before you get punted offshore so unless your feeling very rich you may want to lock at other forms of training as they seem to be more interested in what techy stuff you have[ and hands on stuff] rather than you have spent 7 weeks playing with an rov system they may not even use.

Mick
    Participant

Thanks for that Pictish will check it out, I have shitloads of research to do. just wanting to do whatever to get me start

Mick
    Participant

Cheers lostboy,new to the site, haven’t had much chance to check it out yet. Any advice is muchly appreciated.

misiuek
    Participant

mick

when you say mechanical, does that mean you are a mechanic to trade? or have any relevant certs?
    or any trade electrical or otherwise which would give you an understanding of machinery.

i have mentioned once or twice my dislike of these courses i think that if you have the "appitude" or ability that a company is looking for then go straight to them , forget shelling out all that dosh.

your question isnt the first and sadly wont be the last but look through ALL the forums and many of your questions will be answered , we arent knocking you but spend time and give some thought to your questions and you will get better responses.

as a supervisor i knew used to say "RTFM" …… read the fuckin manual!!

best of luck

Mick
    Participant

Misiuek
    Thanks for the time to reply. After just spending some time finding my way around the website, I am already changing my mind about forking out so much money. As I also have the attitude off what can you learn in just a few weeks I am a great believer in doing your time. I started life out in the motor trade, done my first engine rebuild at seventeen in the spare room of my mothers house. I went to mechanics college while working in a garage as an apprentice, but after a couple of years I then went into the bodywork side of things. After several years of working in the motor trade, I started getting into diving. Long story short have worked on all kinds of engines from car, commercial, marine, diesal, and have some electrical experiance. I do feel like I have the skills, attitude and no problem working away as I have lived abroad in variuos places for nine years. Currently In Thailand just trying to find a way into the offshore game, willing to do anything. Sorry have waffled on a bit there. Thamks once again for any replys which prove to be knowledgeable.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Try Mermaid Offshore Services ltd . Pin Tong idustrial estate-Thailand
    🙂

David
    Participant

Mick,

I have two openings now and you sound like someone who might fit my bill. drop me a message at dshaw@bsjproject.com and I can let you know what is going on.

Cheers

Mr-K
    Participant

Hi Mick, can you please let me know how you get on with your course as i am in the same position as you but my course starts in september. also did you have any luck with the reply from David? Any info will be much appreciated.

Mick
    Participant

Mr-K
    You have probably started your course by now, I don’t get on the site as often at the moment. I didn’t do the course in Fort bill as I decided against it and started looking down other roads. I did get offered a job in the black sea with David, contract was written up, apparently, but It all fell through at the last minute. I am still trying to find the best way myself, although been a bit slack lately. Good luck with the course you can let me know how it’s going. Cheers

Mick

Mr-K
    Participant

Hi mick i have just finished my course 2day and i must say i enjoyed it the instructers are spot on i got 11 houres of logged flying time, which involved dive observation wet bell and closed bell, surface supply and scuba close and general inspection of NDT structure, sonar mapping and location exerscises, pipeline and shipwreck surveys voice commentry data logging ues of the LARS etc, etc and i also got a lot of help with my cv, i would recomend doing the course to any1 , i have sent my cv to about 20 companys so far and i am now starting to get some possotive replys i will let you know how i get on,,

bye for now

Mr-k

😀

centurion
    Participant

wet bell and closed bell, surface supply and scuba

Mr K, What course did you do?

Allegedly
    Participant

😀 Good luck with the job hunting Mr K. Interesting you got the chance to do some observation of different types of diver operation ( tut tut centurion). Dont know if you want any non sarcastic advice from an old diver but read the rest of this site as its full of excellent, positive tips from young and old hands. You probably already have but I like stating the bleeding obvious. Dont forget to come back on and pass on interview and negotiation experiences (good and bad) for other guys coming through.
    Cheers mate and keep reading the manuals.

Mick
    Participant

Hey Mr-k
    Well done on your course, good luck with the job hunting keep us posted on how you get on.
    Mick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar