Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Advice for a Guy interested in ROVing?

Advice for a Guy interested in ROVing?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Advice for a Guy interested in ROVing?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    engineer21
    Participant

Hello all,
    been interested in rovs for a while
    currently working onbaord one of fugros charterd vessels as a ships engineer and fancy changing too become an ROV pilot.

working daily with rov pilots so have a fair bit of knowledge whats going on just wonderd if anyone had any advice? where, when too start?

Also anyone know how good are DOF Subsea?? i know DOF are quite good is pay on the subsea side similar too Fugro who i think are quite good payers??

Any advice appricated

Cheers

Ray Shields
    Participant

The advice as given to the dozens of people who post the same question every week on here:-

Please read through all of the messages on here especially in the Rookies section. Have a read through the FAQs (link on the left hand side). There is a lot of good advice already been posted on here, as this is a VERY common question on here…

Being and engineer and already working offshore will help some towards getting a job, but there are hundreds upon hundreds of others out there – many with similar experience or qualifications – who all want the same small number of trainee jobs that are going.

DOF Subsea are a very good company with the latest vessels and latest ROVs.

sedco
    Participant

DOF Subsea are a…………………………….. and latest ROVs.

T! and T12 spring to mind if you work for them in Asia. 😀

engineer21
    Participant

Yeah thanks for that, i have already read through most of the stuff on this forum not much mentioned about Dof Subsea i know they are fairly new tho, is it all noggies? or brits? mix?

cheers guys this forums a great place 😀

why not check their website? If in UK DOF subsea used to be geo century and have good systems and vessels.ships crew are usually norwegian/UK mix with phillipinos doing all the work. 😀

engineer21
    Participant

Cheers guys already work for DOF so may have a foot in the door then again mabye not!!

Ray Shields
    Participant

Cheers guys already work for DOF so may have a foot in the door then again mabye not!!

Most certainly do especially if you are Norwegian. Fi Faen!

engineer21
    Participant

not quite even tho coming from shetland they seem too think i could be a distant relation lol!! shippings changed tho was good craic with a healthy mix of noggies, poles, philipeno, and less brits but now too many of the poles well some are great but dnt half complain a lot!

Plus as the general offshore industrys wages rise ours as classed as merchant navy dnt or very little!! even tho we r supplying you or carrying u guys about!! 😯
    so fancy being carried about lol!!

oh another question im not sure about is pipeline ploughing i see operators jobs on net whats this liek anyone any idea? do they train ppl for this or is it rov pilots??

cheers

Savante
    Participant

ploughing is good ! but going and doing the pre-post inspection is a lot better !

Steve
    Participant

However there are tonnes of crackin new construction ships coming over the next few years so things are looking good.

engineer21
    Participant

Cheers for that Mach Tech good too know yeah i know plenty nice new ships. wait and see what happens.

ROV_VALLEY_COMMANDO
    Participant

I work for DOF SS ROV. You will not get a start with us as trainee as we do not take on trainees as with exp personnel atm, we do not know whats happening as Norway has sold a couple of vessels and have 2 full crews which seem to get prority over us.

However we have tonnes of crackin new construction ships coming over the next few years so things are looking good.

Eh, so what about the six trainees that have started in the last 18 monthsthat I could name without even thinking.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar