Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Advice new career path

Advice new career path

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Advice new career path

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sam Hosgood
    Participant

Good evening all,

I’m simply looking for some advice about becoming an ROV technician.

I currently work for a subsea company doing data processing. However being onboard always rekindles my thought about becoming an ROV tech.

I have all my basic offshore certificates, BOSIET, MIST, UK and Norwegian medical, Norwegian escape chute training and Banksman Slinger Stage 1.

I don’t have a technical background, however I plan to do a HND in Electrical Engineering during the evenings.

I plan to eventually do some sort of ROV course, probably towards the end of my Electrical Engineering course.

Is there anything else people would advise me to do, to help me along this career path?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Yep! Get some hydraulics training as well. Always good to have.

Ray Shields
    Participant

May I also suggest you read through the messages in the Rookie section as this question has been asked (and answered) MANY times on here.

Working offshore already does help, but if you do not have the appropriate technical qualifications AND experience, there are always going to be better people out there who are more likely to get the Trainee position before you.

This is also true of any training you do from an ROV Training School. Technical experience will always count highest when looking at taking someone on.

Sam Hosgood
    Participant

Thanks for the fast responses, much appreciated.

I realise this isn’t going to be a fast transition, but hopefully with what I have already and plan to do. This should stand me in a better position to apply for vacancies later on.

As for hydraulics training, what level is recommended?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Whatever level is required for maintenance and repair, remember that with ROVs you will not be designing things.

NVQ/SVQ/City & Guilds

Sam Hosgood
    Participant

Spot on, thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar