Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Advice Please Guys

Advice Please Guys

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Advice Please Guys

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    billyboy29
    Participant

Have read most of this forum including FAQs, newbies corner etc but still want a honest opinion from you guys?
    I am 39 years old and decided last year to pursue a career offshore so done my survival, medical and managed to get a job as a roustie which is ok but to be honest with you dont really want to go down the drilling route as a career so have been looking at other things to pursue. One reason being that i spend most of my spare time living in thailand so not easy on roustie wages. (no flippant comments, heard them all before).
    Anyway have been thinking about spending some of my hard earned savings on an ROV pilot course but after reading your forums and website, i am not so sure now. I have been a joiner to trade for 10 years and a telecom engineer previous to that. After reading your forum it appears i dont have the right technical background for your industry although have a city and guilds in basic engineering (mainly workshop stuff like welding,fabricating,tin smithing, laithes, turning etc). Im no stranger to the electrical trade though cos spent all my teenage years as a labourer to my sparky old man so i know how to rewire houses, fuseboxes and such like. I consider myself to be pretty mechanically and technically minded and would attempt to repair something myself first, i.e. car repairs, electrical repairs etc and usually succesfully.
    Anyway I am looking to train as something thats going to challenge me and try to get me a decent job with time off. Rov training was suggested to me by a few guys offshore and have looked into it and at nearly £5000 its a lot of money. I know these companies that offer training are businesses and are there to take your money and will tell you anything to part with your cash.
    I know have waffled on a bit guys and after reading this forum still not sure i should go down the route as a ROV pilot so any comments guys would be much appreciated. Most of the comments on this forum seem to be straight to the point so go for it and give me your honest opinion.

kangaroo
    Participant

Well, I can certainly recommend Ja in the Nevada Bar in Soi 13/2 just off Beach Road Pattaya..She taught me a lot!

billyboy29
    Participant

thanx

blackbeard
    Participant

what about soi 6? you can pick up a lot in soi 6……..

billyboy29
    Participant

thanx

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

BillyBoy,

……………..With that handle what kind of response would you expect??? Get real… if in fact you’re a real flamer… then perhaps, NOOOOOOOOOO, not perhaps (tho’ there’s a few)…. you’re on the wrong website… getdafarq!!!! And whadafarq does it haf ta do with u/water crap w/the exception of insertion tools????

billyboy29
    Participant

BillyBoy,

……………..With that handle what kind of response would you expect??? Get real… if in fact you’re a real flamer… then perhaps, NOOOOOOOOOO, not perhaps (tho’ there’s a few)…. you’re on the wrong website… getdafarq!!!! And whadafarq does it haf ta do with u/water crap w/the exception of insertion tools????

Scotbeve wont start slanging match mate cos my original question was serious, just trying to be a bit light hearted, pissed off being back in uk!!!!!!!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

BillyBoy,

Scotbeve wont start slanging match mate cos my original question was serious, just trying to be a bit light hearted, pissed off being back in uk!!!!!!!

Billy (chuckle , snort)

You’ve obviously not worked anywhere east of the Med. PULEEZE change that Billy Boy handle forthwith (I’m doing you a favor) Mayhaps, you’ve worked in my ex-cunotry – what, with all the Billy Bobs and such

billyboy29
    Participant

BillyBoy,

Taken advice on board but cant change username. How Do?

Billy (chuckle , snort)

You’ve obviously not worked anywhere east of the Med. PULEEZE change that Billy Boy handle forthwith (I’m doing you a favor) Mayhaps, you’ve worked in my ex-cunotry – what, with all the Billy Bobs and such

billyboy29
    Participant

Have taken your advice. But how change username?

PaulB
    Participant

Hi BB,

As head of ROV Training and Operations at The Underwater Centre (Fort William) I read this site regularly.
    Please read this site, but read it thoroughly (as I’m sure you are doing), that way you will spot the regular contributors saying the same thing every week (or even day).

What you don’t see is many contributions from me – I’m busy most of the time. Have a look at my comments (there are only 7) then look again.
    Just to keep things in perspective, I have kept a tag over the last 23 days of my ex-students and where they have obtained work (see below). All have read this site – taken note – then made up their own mind.
    We don’t guarantee you success getting work, we don’t say you will be an expert ROV pilot/tech and we don’t leave you thinking you can walk on water.

What we do however is provide an intensive method of gaining valuable information, experience and practical hands-on flying in the time allowed. Yes, we could run longer courses to cover more subject matter, but who will pay for this? Our courses require investment from you, once you have found work, as many of my students have told me, the investment can be recovered in a relatively short period.

We have been running courses now for over 11 years. We have lots of similar minded people signed up for courses who know it is an excellent way to start off a new career and we have hundreds of guys & gals (yes ladies too) who are now out there working with ROVs and have never looked back.

These are the successes in the last 23 days;-

Oceaneering Louisiana – 1 New start
    Oceaneering Canada Ltd – 1 New start
    Oceaneering Aberdeen – 1 New start
    Sonsub – 3 New starts
    Baker Hughes – 1 New start and turned down offer with Subsea 7
    Technip – 1 New start
    Dominion Diving Canada – 1 New start
    Horizon Survey UAE – 1 New start
    Fugro UAE – 1 New start

We also have a network of ex-students and contacts who send details of jobs direct to me to then pass on to all those on my database. I have sent out about 12 jobs vacancies in the last two and a half weeks. When you undertake our courses, you are automatically included on the mailing list.

If you are serious about getting into the ROV industry, you should have the Engineering, Electrical, Electronics or Hydraulics background as you know. You should also be prepared to write lots of emails/letters and chase these. We spend time on many evenings helping our students get work, perfect their CVs and provide assistance with course content if required. If you wish to send me your CV, I can give you an honest assessment of how you compare with other successful candidates.

Good luck
    Paul Bury
    Head of ROV Training & Operations,
    The Underwater Centre (Fort William) Ltd.
    Email; info@theunderwatercentre.co.uk
    http://www.theunderwatercentre.co.uk
    Tel (+44)(0) 1397 703 786

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar